PDA

View Full Version : My first tower speakers

usaski1
05-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I am thinking about adding a set (2) tower speakers to my Outback, and, just for the speakers, what can I get for $350/400 that are okay? I don't have an amp for them, and kind of don't want to put a 3rd amp in the boat, so will prob have to sell my sub amp (kicker 200) and replace with a 2 channel or 4 channel to do the towers and the sub. My sub is a kicker 10. Thoughts? My above price does not include for a new amp, I'm going to have to ponder that later.

jmvotto
05-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Towers on a budget. if you just want hang out speakers, then buy the ariel with the polk. if you want sound at a distance then also buy the krypts and sell the polks. the krypts will need some powr 125 rms or better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WAKEBOARD-TOWER-SPEAKERS-BULLET-POLISHED-ALUMINUM-/310319348076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484079796c

http://cgi.ebay.com/HLCD-WAKEBOARD-TOWER-LOUD-SPEAKERS-BOAT-MARINE-SPEAKER-/330563904759?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf724e4f7

cab13367
05-19-2011, 12:50 AM
If you want to stay with two amps, it's better to put the cabins and the sub on one amp, and the towers on the second amp.

What amp do you have running the cabin speakers and do you have 4 or 6 cabin speakers?

As for a budget tower speaker, the Kicker KMT6 are decent and can be had for $200 shipped from ebay for a pair.

Al

sicktc06
05-19-2011, 08:45 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kicker-11KMT60-Long-Range-Marine-Tower-System-full-/170640566663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27baf86987

I have these and they are awesome.

bergermaister
05-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Another option - ok, several options! http://stores.ebay.com/Wakeboard-Boat-Sound-Solutions

I have the double cans, polished with Polk MM651's and very happy with them. The single cans should be a lot less $$. Seems like the auctions during the winter typically end with lower prices than this time of year though.

usaski1
06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I would like to go with Kicker, but not required. Also I have just a 200 kicker powering the cabins (stock amp) and the same (another 200) powering my sub. I realy dont want to change my cabin speaker amp, so I think Im going to sell my kicker $200 sub amp and get another kicker amp for towers and sub. Was looking at the kicker 550.3 so I would have 200w for the sub, and about 150-175w for each speaker for the towers. Any word on the kicker 3 channel? I never hear any talk about it, but it seems perfect for what I want. I'm also not real fond of the kicker kmt6's even though its good price, I dont like the look, and leaning toward HLCD. IDEAS? this stereo stuff is confusing, and fun, and expensive! and Im not spendy enough for Exile or Wetsounds..

philwsailz
06-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I would like to go with Kicker, but not required. Also I have just a 200 kicker powering the cabins (stock amp) and the same (another 200) powering my sub. I realy dont want to change my cabin speaker amp, so I think Im going to sell my kicker $200 sub amp and get another kicker amp for towers and sub. Was looking at the kicker 550.3 so I would have 200w for the sub, and about 150-175w for each speaker for the towers. Any word on the kicker 3 channel? I never hear any talk about it, but it seems perfect for what I want. I'm also not real fond of the kicker kmt6's even though its good price, I dont like the look, and leaning toward HLCD. IDEAS? this stereo stuff is confusing, and fun, and expensive! and Im not spendy enough for Exile or Wetsounds..

Loo at the new 2011 KMT60. Much improved cosmetically.

For the amp, you mention the 550.3, which is an older model amp. It will only deliver about 70 watts RMS into a 4-ohm load. You really want more power on your tower. Look at the Kicker ZXM450.2 for a good tower amplifier, or for Full Range Class D take a look at the IX series amps. We have an IX500.2 that will give you 150 watts per channel at 4-ohms and 250 watts per channel at 2-ohms; same power basically as the ZXM450.2 but in a Class D amp that is very efficient.

The technology in our IX amps trickled down from our Warhorse project. The Warhorse is a 10,000 watt sub amplifier. The power supply technology is "Boost-Converter" technology where we can go transformerless and boast a power supply efficiency of better than 90%. Very little power wasted as heat in the power supply section of the amplifier. Then the output stages are around 80% efficient. The IX amps are very cool running and will play a long time before the battery goes kaput...

Phil
Kicker

Phil
Kicker

philwsailz
06-01-2011, 03:30 PM
As for your sub amp, consider a stand-alone ZX400.1 or IX500.1 Either will be a perfect match for the stock 10.

Phil
Kicker

EarmarkMarine
06-01-2011, 03:32 PM
usaski1,
First, I wouldn't run a conventional automotive coaxial on the tower. In the end they don't project well and most people are disappointed resulting in an almost certain upgrade.
Second, your budget as stated really isn't going to support HLCDs in that the good ones are more expensive and the power required to properly drive them is more expensive.
That would leave us with a few very good choices in surf speakers. These might include the Kicker KMT60s, Exile SXT65s or Wetsounds XST-650s. Each of these three have a continuous and sealed midbass driver(s) and a larger/separate tweeter which distinquishes them from the common coaxial.
Next, we have a bit of a conflict with a 3-channel amplifier whether it be the Kicker or a JL Audio XD500/3 which is a favorite of mine since its fullrange Class D. When you run a single pair of 4-ohm tower speakers with the highpass channels, realistically you will only get around 60 to 70 percent of the 2-ohm rated power. 70 to 75 watts per two channels simply won't get it done for tower speakers like it would in the boat.
A good option might be the Alpine MRX-V60 5-channel that can be bridged into three channels. This would provide 300 watts to a subwoofer while driving the tower speakers with 150 watts per channel. Its cost-effective and its highly efficient fullrange Class D. Most important, its good power to the tower.
While this might alter your planned budget a bit it has a much, much better chance of producing a lasting solution.

David
Earmark Marine

usaski1
06-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks Phill and David, I was just about to pull the trigger on an amp, and then those pesky Ohms and my lack of knowlege got in the way! I have a kicker SKM 10 sub right now (marine 10 in a marine box) and it is rated for 4 Ohms, which means that both 3 channel solutions that David proposed, won't work v. well. Im really sold in a 3 channel due to only wanting 2 amps due to space and time consuming wiring, allthough I think I've spent more time reaserching this than it would to wire a 3rd amp to the system! Either the alpine or the JL state the sub wattage at 300w for 2ohm, but my sub will only take 4 ohm, which means replacing my sub if I got either of those amps. Alternate question, could I run 3 amps off of just one starting battery? I don't listen to the tunes with the engine off really. Im pretty sold on 150w for the tower (x2) and 200-300w for the sub. Thanks for all the help!

cab13367
06-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Any of those amps will work just fine with your 4 ohm subwoofer - they just won't deliver as much power to a 4 ohm speaker that they would to a 2 ohm speaker. Typically about half. If you want to get the full 2 ohm rated power from the amp, you will have to change your subwoofer to one with dual 4 ohm voice coils. You can wire the voice coils in parallel to present a 2 ohm load to the amp.

usaski1
06-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Ordered 2 Krypt 6.5 HLCD's... dont hate me.