PDA

View Full Version : Boat Tie Downs and MFG Responsibility

BensonWdby
02-22-2005, 07:39 PM
I know that we have had discussions here about whether transom tie downs are required. But I thought I would bring this to light with a slightly different slant.

First, I just discovered the Library Link on this site, where you can get the owners manual for you boat back to 1999.

Second - On page 14 of the 1999 manual
( http://moomba.com/owner_manuals/moomba_99.pdf )
it specifically states:
1. Always secure the boat to the trailer with tie downs. ......

Wouldn't you think that with that in the manual that the boats would come with tie downs??

Dave

Buttafewcoe
02-23-2005, 07:10 AM
When I took delivery on my 2004 Outback in August, I asked for a pair. The dealer gave me a pair. I would have thought they would have came with those AND a safety chain for the front. I put the chain on, no prob. which goes to show you.............'ask and ye shall receive'
Jim
North Carolina

1moomba
02-28-2005, 07:37 PM
I HAVE BOUGHT ABOUT 10 NEW BOATS OVER THE YEARS AND ALL CAME WITH TIE DOWNS INCLUDING A PERSONAL WATERCRAFT. I THINK IT IS UP TO THE DEALER TO DO THIS.CHECK OUT OVERTONS THEY HAVE A RETRACTABLE ONE THAT MOUNTS TO THE TRAILER AND WORKS GREAT.NOTHING TO LOOSE OR STORE. PART#32050 AND IS ONLY $59.99. FOR THE PAIR. PRETTY CHEAP INVESTMENT AND WELL WORTH THE $$$$

Catdog1
03-02-2005, 05:03 AM
Rope works also.

BensonWdby
03-04-2005, 01:11 AM
I have a nice pair of Rod n Reel over-center latch type that work great. I got them cheap at Fleet Farm.

My point was that since the mfg says in their manual that you should not trailer without them, that it would make sense that they include them in the purchase of any boat that comes with a trailer.

Dave

brentburtrum
03-17-2005, 01:29 AM
My dealer looked at me like i was crazy when i was putting on some transome tiedowns i had brought with me when i picked my boat up. Don't most states require these by law?

moombadaze
03-26-2005, 10:54 AM
the latest issue of trailerboats has a picture on the last page showing a older ski boat sitting in the middle of a road in a town-looks like it slid to a stop---strap her down!

Buttafewcoe
03-27-2005, 10:18 AM
I told you guys earlier, I axed fer sum, the dealer gave me some........ax and ye shall receive............:p