PDA

View Full Version : summerization-engine drain plus

ottawarider
05-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi. So after a long winter it is time for my first summerization... I got the impeller all done. but here is the problem...

I went to put the engine block plugs back in and can only manage to get them in half way or so. Anyone else have this problem? Also, when looking in my ziploc with all thr stuff i took out I found 3 similiar plugs although 2 were the same and one was a bit longer... any idea what it could be from?

so questions are

1) why wont the engine block plugs go all the way in?
2) why would an extra similiar looking plug have come from?

Thanks!

Brian

deerfield
05-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Brian - What model and year boat? Also, which engine? - Deerfield

WaterBullDawg1980
05-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi. So after a long winter it is time for my first summerization... I got the impeller all done. but here is the problem...

I went to put the engine block plugs back in and can only manage to get them in half way or so. Anyone else have this problem? Also, when looking in my ziploc with all thr stuff i took out I found 3 similiar plugs although 2 were the same and one was a bit longer... any idea what it could be from?

so questions are

Thanks!

Brian

Did you coat the threads with Marine grease after you pulled them? May have to clean the holes with a wire brush to get off any deposits that may have formed.

The extra ones may be to your v-drive. Or if it is a much smaller plug, it could go to your muffler.

KSmith
05-17-2011, 08:02 PM
It seems apparent that after the long winter of inactivity locked in a baggie they have gained weight and also seem to have bred a new plug. Congrats on the extended plug family. A few more years and you'll have all the spares you could possibly need.

cab13367
05-17-2011, 08:11 PM
The plugs won't go in because the holes have developed rust over the winter. As previously mentioned, be sure to coat them with marine grease next time.

There is an easy fix though. Take your block plug and go to a NAPA or similar auto parts store and ask for a thread cleaner in the same size and thread pattern as your block plug. It will look like the pic below. Just buy the one that is the right size. Then spray the hole with WD40 and carefully work the thread cleaner back and forth, turning it clockwise and counterclockwise in turn until the threads are all cleaned out. Do not force it, let the tool do the work. Clean up the rust/WD40 with a rag and your plug so now go right in.

As for the third plug, it could be from the v-drive or the muffler. Which boat do you have?

Al

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/0u3SFRYzfY62Ur5REthbY2Y5-1PQNAfd6r8cfe8nO1SOXSCYQIifmUPM3YQtXZdeEf6yLL3CL-6w7gfc6ZSdEsyqafFdD8KBv88QYpUOkNT8WgzCt5LGY_9JicxF 07ro6CszZQkXoYdgecUke8b8288SPQ72VYKIhSqtiD8tLlmyev rDP2_RxCE

Engine Nut
05-17-2011, 08:28 PM

so questions are

Thanks!

Brian

Those plugs are pipe plugs with tapered threads. They are not meant to go in all the way.The extra plug is probably the drain plug for the transmission cooler.

DOCDRS
05-17-2011, 10:53 PM
lots of good posts , can you post a pic of the plugs? boat and motor are important. I doubt it is a tranny plug , prob a vdrive plug but its all a guessing game, I had a tough time putting my block plugs in and re threaded them as cab stated and now put antisieze on them, but after i drain the block I reinstall them and all the other plugs so its ready to go in the spring. Why leave them out ? Its not like any substantial amount of vapour is going to do anything over the winter.

ottawarider
05-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Wow thanks for all the replies!

Deerfield - 2007 outback v with the 325

WaterBullDawg1980 - I put some oil in the threads thinking that would suffice but i will definately remember marine grease next time... The extra one is pretty much the same size as the others just a tad longer and a different inside diameter...

KSmith - thats hilarious!

cab13367 - awesome I will give that a try! I am going to take some pics tomorrow to show the minute difference in appearance between the 2 same plugs and the other similiar one. BTW I used your winterization procedure and it rocked! Thanks! Going back through your thread it only accounted for the 2 engine block plugs so the third one had be baffled. Hopefully the pics I take will help solve this mystery.

Engine Nut - tapered you say? that would make sense. I just couldnt remember if there was that much that didn't go in 8 months ago... I think once i clean out the rust and they still don't go in then I will be at ease!

DOCDRS - Ill definately get some pics up tomorrow aft after work. Thats a good point about reinstalling them right away. So many less things to go wrong. As for the v drive plug I hope thats it!

Again thanks all and pics tomorrow. I kind of expected a few problems with the first winter/de-winterization but its worth it (I hope)

Brian

DOCDRS
05-17-2011, 11:35 PM
hey I'm in ontario as well maybe we can hook up when i come down to ottawa for the nationals track

cab13367
05-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Here's a pic of mine. It's a 1/4" pipe tap and yes, it's tapered. I had the same issue the first year I owned the boat so been there, done that. Engine nut is right though - the plug is tapered so it will not go in all the way.

Glad the winterization procedure helped you out.

Al

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/dcdbdd5e.jpg

lsvboombox
05-18-2011, 07:27 AM
They also make something called a " thread chaser".. similar to a tap but its made specifically to clean out threads... most auto shops have them or i think summit racing has a kit for cheap.....

papou
05-18-2011, 09:50 AM
hey ottawarider the engine plugs won`t go all the way in, there tapered between half and three quarter with no leaks there good.

harmsway
05-18-2011, 10:05 AM
I would not tap a pipe plug hole unless the plugs would not start to go in the hole. You could do more damage to the hole then good. Good and snug about half way in the hole and check for leaks after start up, if no leaks you are ready to hit the lake, if you have a drip snug a little more. Remember you are talking about the engine block and if you damage it your are going to be sick... Over tightening could crack the block or strip the threads.

cab13367
05-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I would not tap a pipe plug hole unless the plugs would not start to go in the hole. You could do more damage to the hole then good. Good and snug about half way in the hole and check for leaks after start up, if no leaks you are ready to hit the lake, if you have a drip snug a little more. Remember you are talking about the engine block and if you damage it your are going to be sick... Over tightening could crack the block or strip the threads.

harm,

When I use the pictured pipe tap on mine, I just did so by hand. clockwise a little, then counterclockwise, then clockwise a little more, etc. until it would go no more. Worked great and cleaned out the threads perfectly.

I agree that you don't want to put on a socket on it and force it in.

Al

ottawarider
05-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Hey all so that is some great advice. Definately right about being tapered! Here are some pics... the middle one is the mystery plug which as enginenut has suggested is the vdrive cooler drain plug.

Enginenut - where on the v drive would this go? I really don't remember taking it out last year which worries me.

DOCDRS - sounds cool we ride on the Rideau at Ecolands park. [email protected] is my email

now to fix the winch strap, tower light and get the ballast all hooked up! water is already at 63 degrees!

Brian

Mikey
05-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I clean mine very lightly with a small cleaning brush then a couple wraps of teflon tape on the threads. Thread in by hand till snug then another 1/2 turn or so with a small wrench then good to go.

cab13367
05-19-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm stumped - I don't know what that middle plug would be for. There are two drain plugs on the v-drive but on mine, they both had a square plug and were smaller than the block plug. Then there is the plug on the muffler which is totally different than the block plugs. So I don't know where you got that third plug from.

Did you happen to install a heater or shower over the winter? Maybe that is the plug from where you ran the heater/shower hose to/from the engine.

Al

DOCDRS
05-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Maybe Larry is right , from the tranny cooler, I would check there, never remove mine but maybe someone did??

moombadaze
05-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Heres a simple way to find where it goes--back the boat down the ramp in to the water or hook up a fake a lake and start it up and find where the water leaks out at.

DOCDRS
05-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Heres a simple way to find where it goes--back the boat down the ramp in to the water or hook up a fake a lake and start it up and find where the water leaks out at.

This so funny but so good and probably the best way..........except if its pre impeller you are just going to suck air, unless on a fake a lake with water pressure on you will find that pre impeller leak. Awesome idea

mmandley
05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Are you sure its not the 3rd engine block plug?

I was thinking there is 2 on the passenger side and 1 on the divers side thats accessable. I cant really recal since its been 8 months since i drained my engine.

As for the trans cooler if i recall there is bolt on the bottom corner

cab13367
05-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Are you sure its not the 3rd engine block plug?

I was thinking there is 2 on the passenger side and 1 on the divers side thats accessable. I cant really recal since its been 8 months since i drained my engine.

As for the trans cooler if i recall there is bolt on the bottom corner

Mike,

There are only two engine block plugs, one on each side.

If there is a transmission cooler drain plug, the dealer didn't tell me about it when he walked me thru the winterization process. Can someone tell me where it is?

ottawarider
05-20-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm stumped - I don't know what that middle plug would be for. There are two drain plugs on the v-drive but on mine, they both had a square plug and were smaller than the block plug. Then there is the plug on the muffler which is totally different than the block plugs. So I don't know where you got that third plug from.

Did you happen to install a heater or shower over the winter? Maybe that is the plug from where you ran the heater/shower hose to/from the engine.

Al

Not didn't install anything at all! I couldnt budge the transmission plugs so I left em in and ya they are very different looking...

ottawarider
05-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Mike,

There are only two engine block plugs, one on each side.

If there is a transmission cooler drain plug, the dealer didn't tell me about it when he walked me thru the winterization process. Can someone tell me where it is?

I second this question!