PDA

View Full Version : Off topic, but preparing for the worst day of my "adult" life

dusty2221
05-16-2011, 03:20 PM
It's hard to even type this. My wife and I have just had to make one of the hardest decisions together since being together. And tomorrow, will be the most difficult day ever. The time has come to put our Rottweiler down. He is 10 years old, and his health has him deteriorating quickly. He is not the same anymore, and I know he is suffering already. He rarely gets up, and when he does, its for a very short period of time. The only thing he will get up for, is if my little girl comes outside to play. Regardless of where he is, when he see's her come out he goes and lays wherever she is at. We got him in 2002 when he was 1 year old from a man that was going to have him to put down because he did not get along with a dog his son brought home. My wife was very timid about having a Rott, but they are all I grew up having. Shortly after getting him, she was hooked and in love.

Here is the kicker, and what has made this more difficult than I ever imagined. Due to the same circumstance, we also have to have our Great Dane put down at the same time. She is 9, which is a LONG life for a Dane, as they average 6. She is 100% dependent on him. We got her first, and he came into her life when she was still a pup, about 2 months after we got her. He is her lifelong companion and will not doubt crash even quicker when he is gone.

So, based on the vet's recommendation, which is a friend of the family and knows how much a part of our family these two dogs are, at 5:30 tomorrow evening, the vet is coming out to the house to take care of both of them. I'm burying them in the same hole together, which you can imagine, is a large hole. This hurts so bad, and it feels so wrong, but I know we are making the right choice. Loosing one is tough, but I know, and the vet said it also, that if we put just the Rott down, with the condition the Dane is already in we will be in the same shoes in likely a few months.

I'm pretty much speechless. The second I open my mouth to talk about it, I get to emotional to talk. Typing it is really the only was i can address it and be ok. Digging the hole this morning in tears was very difficult, and I have to continue when I get home from work.

I am not looking forward to this and wish it were over. Not sure I'll be able to handle Wednesday morning when I walk outside and neither of them are there......

KG's Supra24
05-16-2011, 03:24 PM
ugghh, this makes me sick to my stomach.

You know I'm here man.

sandm
05-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Been there with several and it never gets easier. Sucks to lose both at once. I always had another to ease the pain. My welshie kermit is 7 and been thinking bout getting another as I know he won't last forever.

Good luck and as hard as it may be, sounds like u are making the right decisions for them..

kaneboats
05-16-2011, 03:28 PM
I hope you come to appreciate the good years you got-- more than most do with those breeds. Show all that extra love to the new pup. Somewhere there's one (or two) that need you right now as much as you need them. God bless you for being a caring soul.

moombadaze
05-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Oh, that just plain sucks to have to loose them both, but at the same time you are doing right for both of them.

newty
05-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Sorry to hear. Def know the pain... But Kane is right nothing heals a broken heart like a new pup... or two!:p

morgan040
05-16-2011, 05:42 PM
That sux man!!! that stuff in never fun. Our companions are here to make us happy, and they have so much fun doing it!!! Its hard to see them suffer and they dont wanna feel like that eaither. You are definatly doing the right thing even though it feels so bad. I had to go look for a new pup just after I put my dog down! It really helps things out!!!

WaterBullDawg1980
05-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Ugh. Not sure if you remember my thread on this same topic with my Rottweiler, but I had to make the same horrible decision. It was so tough, that I didn't talk about it for weeks afterwards and couldn't even bring myself to post an update here. Sound like such a wuss, but I love my pets man.

I'll tell you what I told myself in making the decision, to make them suffer one second longer than they have to is what you would be doing my not passing them over to God's hands.

Digging the hole was the hardest thing in the world. My wife came out there with me to help me with it and we were both crying at having to bury our 13 year old dog.

But make sure and remind yourself that it is YOUR responsibility to take care of him as he cannot tell you what is wrong etc etc. They know you love them. And on top of all of this, it is a very peaceful and humane procedure.

Prayers sent to ya buddy. I know how tough this can be for anyone.

you da man
05-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Sorry to hear that. I'm a dog lover as well but just don't have the time for one. However, I had to put down my cat a while ago who was more like a dog than a cat (Burmese). I chose to pay the expense of cremation and retreive the ashes which just made me feel a little better.

KSmith
05-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Sorry to hear. I have had to have some put down through the years, never two at once, I really can't imagine, one is so very difficult.

Grant M
05-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Be strong Man, your doing the right thing! But it is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do too. When there is no upside for them it has to be done to spare their pain. It still hurts any pet owner though!

Like Ed said - it's OK to cry, lord knows I did....

jmb
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Really sorry for your loss. My son had just gotten a puppy and then the tornado so had to give him away. We didn't like doing that either.

Mikey
05-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Just reading all these replys is making me tear up a little as i think about our dog who's got his own issues slowly creeping up as well. He is still healthy but definitely no spry pup anymore. I feel your pain and can't bear to think about my youngest daughter how she will be utterly devastated if/ when our dogs day comes.. As mentioned i feel for you but as others have mentioned . It is for the best. So sorry just the same.

csm
05-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Really sorry to hear that man. I can't imagine having to make that decision for 2 at the same time, so I feel for you.

We had to make the same decision a month ago for my 13 year old Golden Retriever. Every morning when I back out of the driveway with my 2 year old twins, they say "bye bye, Sadie". Breaks my heart every time.

It will be hard for a while, but you'll have some great memories that can't ever be taken away.

dusty2221
05-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, they help. Tomorrow is gonna be a long day watching the clock. Vet is supposed to be here at 5:30, so I'm gonna leave work about 3 to have a few more hours with them. Def. have a sleepless night ahead. If the parts for my current project had made it here on time I would just pull an all nighter.

jmvotto
05-16-2011, 10:55 PM
My heart goes out to you and the family....:cry:

very hard to do, brings a grown man to a wimpering child I have three labs now but in 2004 had to put down my 10 year chocolate lab Bo. i cried like a baby the whole day..

sucks just palin sucks..

jpetty3023
05-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Sending prayers your way brother..we don't call them "A Man's Best Friend" for nothing. Never an easy thing to do.

wolfeman131
05-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Sorry to hear Dusty.

E4NASH
05-17-2011, 09:51 AM
I hate to hear this Dusty. About 7 years ago I had to put down my Golden Retriever that I had since 8th grade he was 12. That was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family brother...

mmandley
05-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Hey Dusty i know your in pain man, just reading yuor post and the others makes me have the same pain and i have tears in my eyes as i type this to you man.

When i was 7 my dad bought a english sheepdog mix of some sort and named him Fred. I lvoed that dog and he was my friend as we moved every year almost in the military. This dog was awesome and he was my dads favorite dog of all time. When we lived in Tampa FL on Bay street the dog became very ill. Had got bit by some kind of tick in TX when we lived in Austin and couldnt walk anymore. My dad had to have him put down. I wasnt as upset because by now i was 15 and the dog wasnt close to me anymore.

To me he was a pooing machine i had to clean up after.

My dad was heartbroken and cried a lit for a while about him after he was gone. I didnt understand why he was so upset, its just a dog.

Well now i realise after having my own dogs its the same as when they say to people who dont have kids, youd understand if you did have them. You truly dont knwo how much you love something till you yourself have it.

Now i find myself getting closer each day with my dog Butch. Hes a Doberman/Blue Healer mix. Best dog i ever had and i got him as a pup in AZ. He has been all over the place with me and up till we got the F350 was my truck dog.

Now hes 10.5 years old, really sick, gouing blind and deaf. It pains me and i keep warning Claudia his days are numbered. He runs into things all the time, he doesnt hear you when you call him. The pup Oso we got to learn from Butch because i knew Butch was getting old. He doesnt have but maybe a year left if im lucky and i know ill be in the same boat you are.

Im here for you, we are all here for you man. It will get better and i suggest you takes lots of pictures of your boys today.

skylar18
05-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Hang in there Dusty, Hardest thing I have done so far here in Austin is put down the dog my wife and I got when we first got married to see if we could handle something that relied on us to support before we ever had kids.

Said we would wait at least 6 months to get a new puppy. We actually waited only 3 weeks and got another Husky. It seemed to make the healing much faster, but I'm sure everyone is different. I do know the puppy helped the kids through the loss a little faster.

I have only cried 2 times in at the least the last 10 years, once when my son literally destroyed his shouldar permantely playing football, and when we put the dog down.

I will be thinking about you......

dru1974
05-17-2011, 04:55 PM
I have a huge lump in my throte rite now I am so very sorry,I had to do the same thing 2 years ago and it was so hard. My girl had cancer every where. It was to late for any treatment....crying and thinking about the good times we had together helped...I am so sorry. :cry:

dusty2221
05-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks again for the kind words everyone. Its done.

I have no doubt they knew it was time. Both went right over to the hole I dug and laid down like they were ready and telling us it was ok.

Rip Mali and Mango, words can't describe how much we love and will miss you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/Mobile%20Uploads/1305679117576.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/Mobile%20Uploads/1305679175507.jpg

wolfeman131
05-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Hang in there day Dusty. Gonna be tough, but you'll make it thru.

sailing217
05-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Sux.

My Great Dane is 5.5yrs old and having some intenstinal issues we hope he gets through. Our doberman mutt is about 13yrs. They might go down close to the same time. It'll be hard on the kids. Wife wants to get a weiner dog if one goes down but I think I'm done with dogs for awhile. We have a dog/house sitter for them now if we travel.

dusty2221
05-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Just an update, it was a year on Thursday. It feels like just yesterday I would come home and they were both standing in the shop waiting for me to shut the Harley off, yet it feels like a lifetime ago that they were laid to rest. Still miss them everyday. Thanks again for all the kind words, I just re-read over everything...man what a tough day.