PDA

View Full Version : Swin Platform Broke off - Please help

kayjayfech
05-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Ok everyone, yesterday at the lake, we were surfing and my wife noticed our platform went floating away (fiberglass). We circled around to pick it up and when we got off the water, v-groove brackets mounted to the hull were still tight but there are some deep cracks around the gelcoat. The cast aluminum braces mounted to the platform itself were ripped off and the holes for where the pins go through were cracked off. I have pics if anyone wants me to email you the damage. I called John at SC and they told me the 06 and 07 LSV's and even leading in to the 08's were not made for surfing and the platforms were not engineered to have that amount of force applied when surfing. I took it to the dealer and they told me to file a claim as the cracks are bad and I need the new braces and mounts from SC that are engineered for surfing tolerance. SC told me the same thing. Should I do this or is there a better fix????

Sea N' Things
05-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Please post pics, I would like to see them please...

cab13367
05-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Ok everyone, yesterday at the lake, we were surfing and my wife noticed our platform went floating away (fiberglass). We circled around to pick it up and when we got off the water, v-groove brackets mounted to the hull were still tight but there are some deep cracks around the gelcoat. The cast aluminum braces mounted to the platform itself were ripped off and the holes for where the pins go through were cracked off. I have pics if anyone wants me to email you the damage. I called John at SC and they told me the 06 and 07 LSV's and even leading in to the 08's were not made for surfing and the platforms were not engineered to have that amount of force applied when surfing. I took it to the dealer and they told me to file a claim as the cracks are bad and I need the new braces and mounts from SC that are engineered for surfing tolerance. SC told me the same thing. Should I do this or is there a better fix????

That's BS about the 06-08 boats not being made for surfing. When Nate (on this forum) had his Supra in to fix damage caused by a collision with another boat, the repairing dealer noted that the screws holding the platform brackets on the transom missed the reinforcing backing plates that they were supposed to screw into. I bet that is what happened to yours and that is why you have the deep cracks in the gelcoat where the brackets are. SC should warranty this.

Please e-mail the pics to me and I will post it to this thread if you don't know how - [email protected]

Al

cab13367
05-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Posting these pics on behalf of kayjayfech:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_0405.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_0407.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_0408.jpg

sandm
05-16-2011, 03:45 PM
I spend almost all my time surfing and haven't had any issues with the transom mounts. That should be on skiers imo. I will say tho that the holes at the bottom of the platform brackets are not uncommon. I know several on here have had the same issue and seems to be a byproduct of the "slop" in the platform.

moombadaze
05-16-2011, 03:50 PM
That does not look good

One more thing to worrie about

Can someone with a 2011 confirm if the brackets are the same

WaterBullDawg1980
05-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Thats nuts. I have never heard of this happening.

Surely this is something that will be taken care of by SC.

Please be sure and let us know if your boat was missing the reinforcing backing plates like Al mentioned. Very strange.

kayjayfech
05-16-2011, 07:51 PM
I am taking the boat in to Action Water Sports tomorrow morning and I will let you all know what happens. I have also spoke to Doug Childress at Skier's Choice and so far he has been real easy to work with.

KSmith
05-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Thats nuts. I have never heard of this happening.

Surely this is something that will be taken care of by SC.

Please be sure and let us know if your boat was missing the reinforcing backing plates like Al mentioned. Very strange.

If I recall correctly Nates boat wasn't missing the reinforcing backing plates but the installer that sank the swim platform bracket screws missed screwing them into the backing plate.

bbuhtz
05-17-2011, 08:53 AM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_0407.jpg

shoot i ripped my swim platform off last year, in my case they screwed some cheesy screws imo (ones in picture) into the glass platform that didn't hold to either surfing, too many people on the platform at once, or a combination of the two. i ended up fixing the problem by putting some black oval headed bolts and nuts on the damn thing versus screws... "yup, that should do it", sucker isn't going anywhere. haven't had a problem since, + i never have had a problem with the bracket to the transom as in your case. (knock on wood)

spyder
05-20-2011, 05:33 PM
it appears the pin which holds it in place has worn the hole right through.. it'll happen... i see mine are not longer circular either... the pin has a bit of play and all that rattle just wears out that hole...

not sure about the gelcoat issue though.

jmb
05-20-2011, 09:12 PM
I had a machine shop make new brackets for mine out of stainless steel. Have not had a problem with the hole wallerin out that I notice. I had to learn the word "wallerin" when I moved down here.

Canuckle Head
05-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Did ya have to learn "fixin" too?:p As in "I've been fixin to do some work on your boat but i haven't had the time"

Grant M
05-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Pulled my 06 LSV out of storage this week to summerize and since I had removed the swim platform for storage I decided to look at my brackets and I have stress cracks radiating up from the brackets and when I looked inside the ballast engine compartments I can see why. The three screws that hold the swim platform bracket to the hull only the bottom screw actually goes into anything substancial the other two screws just go into the fiberglass for the stern. I'll try to get some pictures, but when I hear SC say that the 06-08 LSV's weren't designed for surfing - I bet it's because they know the stern bracing did not go high enough.... :?

jmb
05-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I will have to practice my "fixin'"

mnpracing
05-23-2011, 01:30 AM
Are you guys able to see the screws/bolts for the swim platform transom brackets from the inside of the boat? On my 08 LSV if I peel back a few inches of carpet from the transom wall, I can see the top 3 bolts, but not the bottom 2 bolts. The top 3 appear to go through an area of fiberglass that is thicker than the rest of the transom, but there's definitely not a backing plate of any kind there, just washers. I can't see the bottom 2 bolts; they appear to be below the rear compartment floor. If that is the case, how would you access those if repairs were needed?

kayjayfech
05-23-2011, 12:09 PM
OK everyone, SC is going to cover my deductible of $500 and I will have my boat completed in the next couple days with the "new surf-engineered" platform braces and mounting plates they are installing on the new moombas. I will pick the boat up on Thursday and take some more pics of the finished product. I am still not happy about having to claim this on my insurance though, I just didn't have the cash to fork out $3k on the repairs.

Grant M
05-23-2011, 01:49 PM
OK everyone, SC is going to cover my deductible of $500 and I will have my boat completed in the next couple days with the "new surf-engineered" platform braces and mounting plates they are installing on the new moombas. I will pick the boat up on Thursday and take some more pics of the finished product. I am still not happy about having to claim this on my insurance though, I just didn't have the cash to fork out $3k on the repairs.

What type of boat do you have, I will have to call SC as well. I wonder if they will do the same for me as I am not the original owner???

cab13367
05-23-2011, 02:22 PM
The three screws that hold the swim platform bracket to the hull only the bottom screw actually goes into anything substancial the other two screws just go into the fiberglass for the stern.

Grant,

Could you please post up some pics from inside your boat showing where the screws come thru?

Thanks,

Al

DOCDRS
05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Something else to add to the summerization process. Check platform bracket screws for tightness.

kayjayfech
05-24-2011, 01:47 PM
I have an 07 LSV, I have been the only owner. Only 3 more years till its paid off BTW!!!!!

mnpracing
05-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Are you guys able to see the screws/bolts for the swim platform transom brackets from the inside of the boat? On my 08 LSV if I peel back a few inches of carpet from the transom wall, I can see the top 3 bolts, but not the bottom 2 bolts. The top 3 appear to go through an area of fiberglass that is thicker than the rest of the transom, but there's definitely not a backing plate of any kind there, just washers. I can't see the bottom 2 bolts; they appear to be below the rear compartment floor. If that is the case, how would you access those if repairs were needed?

Anyone have input on this? I'll take some pictures tonight and post what it looks like from the inside of my boat.

Grant M
05-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Grant,

Could you please post up some pics from inside your boat showing where the screws come thru?

Thanks,

Al

Here are a couple of pictures and they're are in my album as well. You can see the tilt to the top two washers as they don't quite go into the extra transom bracing.
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3734 https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3733 https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3732

Grant M
05-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Here is another shot of the Port side interior bracket bolting.
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3735

Grant M
05-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Do these swim platform bolts I posted above look normal to everyone???? :confused:

mmandley
05-25-2011, 08:32 AM
They look pretty beat up to me, as if the installer said ahh dam i mounted these to high, and had to fight to keep his wrench on to tighen them down.

mnpracing
05-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Do these swim platform bolts I posted above look normal to everyone???? :confused:

Mine look slightly better (still need to load pics). My top two bolts appear to go through the thicker part of the transom, maybe and inch or 1.5 inches below where your top two bolts are. I continue to be amazed by poor quality that could easily have been prevented by extending the thicker bracing 4 or 5 inches or heaven-forbid the entire entire height of the transom, or glass in a SS plate or something. Add the $20 for the plate to the price of the boat....

kayjayfech
05-26-2011, 12:55 AM
ok everyone sc is not going to do anything to help. they are sticking to their original statement that 06 and 07 moombas even leading up to the 08 were not made for surfing. well thanks for the surfing brochures and the free surfboards when i bought my boat as part of the promotion in 07. i am very disappointed in their business practices. maybe i need to sell and buy a brand new malibu.

Canuckle Head
05-26-2011, 01:59 AM
ok everyone sc is not going to do anything to help. they are sticking to their original statement that 06 and 07 moombas even leading up to the 08 were not made for surfing. well thanks for the surfing brochures and the free surfboards when i bought my boat as part of the promotion in 07. i am very disappointed in their business practices. maybe i need to sell and buy a brand new malibu.

Or an Axis?

Canuckle Head
05-26-2011, 02:12 AM
You know, I would like to think that I am a pretty reasonable guy but it's little things like this that really get me pissed off. It's pretty obvious to me that the guy who was installing that platform did not do his job properly or the guy who put the re-enforcing in the transom put it in the wrong spot.

To me, this is a manufacturing issue and I think it reflects poorly on SC to not acknowledge that.

Step up to the plate boys.......

Nuff said.

kayjayfech
06-20-2011, 12:41 PM
I wanted to keep everyone in the loop. My insurance sent the brackets to a metallurgist in California and he determined the brackets were a manufacturer's defect and should be covered by SC.

SC is reviewing the findings and the letter from my insurance company (they denied my claim) and will get back to me on whether or not they are going to cover the $2,600.00 in damages.