PDA

View Full Version : New Family Member

Shooter
05-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Probably wouldn't think this belonged on a boat forum, but maybe this fits a little! I'd like to intoduce Ryder, our new 10 week old Australian Labradoodle. We didn't get to take the boat out this weekend, but Ryder will be a regular fixture aboard the LSV this summer.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/Shooter271/Ryder046.jpg

KSmith
05-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Cool, a walking ballast bag LOL When he grows up some it looks like that fur will end up holding a ton of water.

I have been debating allowing my mutt to join us on the Moomba. She is a 95 pound black lab. She is currently only allowed to go out with us when we take the Bayliner, which is the designated "dog boat".

I am looking into getting her nails trimmed back and putting those soft paw glue on things onto the nails. I am just worried about her tearing up the vinyl.

We also do not beach the Moomba so I'd need a means to get her onto the swim platform and not tear up the transom...

Anyway, good looking dog!

mmandley
05-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Hey Ksmith my pup is a 100lb black male lab. Hes in a few pictures, we got him last April and had him on the boat right away to teach him boat eticut.

Keep there front claws trimmed and as long as they dont do the digg in a spot before they lie down you should be fine. The interior is pretty thick and can take the paws as long as you keep it soft. We tend to put a towel down where we want him to lay.

As for the swim deck he put a few good claw marks on it his first couple times in the water and i have since learned to have the rear ballast full to lower the deck under the water and he can get on it pretty well.

When we spent time at Lake Billy and beached the boat we backed it in, anchored the front and rear, filled the rear balalst and he was fine back and forth.

We even filled the large flat air tube we have and he learned to ride back and forth to the beach on that when we didnt want him all wet lol was pretty funny to watch.

Just like kids man labs are super smart and if you spend the time to teach them the dos and donts you will have a very good boat dog.

moombadaze
05-16-2011, 09:26 AM
congrats on the pup

KG's Supra24
05-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Great looking pup. We actually got a 4 week old standard that looks just like him a couple months ago.

Ugghhh, I forgot how much work a puppy is!

Shooter
05-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Just like kids man labs are super smart and if you spend the time to teach them the dos and donts you will have a very good boat dog.

That's what I'm hoping to do with this pup. Start him young and with a little luck have a good, well mannered dog in the boat.

mmandley
05-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Everyone that sees our dog Oso is amazed how well trained and behaived he is. I just tell them i just treat him the way i want him to act. I talk to him every day, play with him every day and tell him when hes doing bad. Tell him whens hes doing good.

There was a few bumps in the road along the way, thankfully Al, Brain are both understanding people. :o

The thing i learned about the Lab and didnt realize is how mcuh they have to be part of your life, they want to be with you all the time like a kid. Also they latch onto 1 person and thats there soul porpose. Oso loves Claudia but theres is no doubt when you see me and him interact whos dog he really is.

dusty2221
05-17-2011, 10:52 AM
That pup is adorable.

onoitslolo
06-14-2016, 01:46 PM
we have some snow boots we put on our boxer pup when she is on the boat. We sold the "dog" boat, and had no other choice. To save the transom, I use one of those goofy dog life jacket because of the handle. Its just like picking up a 65lb 6-pack. :cool:

mcdye
06-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Congrats... My son just acquired a 8 week male Blk Lab 'Tank'.... still iffy on the boat access.

DFTR Josh
06-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Get looking fur kid! Our 1 year old cattle dog finally got to ride in the boat.
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13310323_258969427827006_8969571731603967693_n.jpg ?oh=7b5b5e3f400663456104bf6a66fb95a8&oe=57FD7232