PDA

View Full Version : Norris Lake Advice Needed

skiyaker
05-15-2011, 01:23 PM
hey guys I'm about to book a place on Norris Lake and wondering if somebody familiar with the lake could give me any thoughts on location. Here's what the owner says about the cabin's location

"Cabin is located in Powder Mill Hollow (Cove) just above point 11 on the Powell River portion of Norris Lake. The closest marina is Springs Dock, about an 8-10 minute drive by car or by boat. The cabin is close to Deerfield and the Peninsula."

Anything good or bad about that area of the lake? Thoughts appreciated!

sailing217
05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Deerfield is a resort community and very high-end homes for the most part. It can get a bit busy on weekends. Also offers a bit more in things to do (golf?). Sounds like you're at the end and there will be smooth water there. Springs Dock is where you'll get your gas, fried eats, beverages.

All good things. Only downside is it's a hike if you need things from a grocery store or such so make a good list and hit the Super Walmart just off the highway.

There really is no bad part of Norris. With a small exception of homes, it's a pain to get back into town to get fresh groceries and cheap gas. Cell phone reception is very spotty all over the lake - have a backup plan if people are stopping as they might not be able to call you immediately. All the back roads to the houses are very narrow, but just take it slow with the boat. Ask the owner the best road directions to trailer the boat.

skiyaker
05-16-2011, 05:54 PM
great advice- thanks. I've never been on Norris but when we went to Barkley last year we were fortunate to have a place that was not in a mud pit.

We were looking at some places in Deerfield but I don't golf and they're quite a bit more $. I figure I'll spend most of my time on the Moomba.

Do they sell beer around there or is it all dry?

Reese350
05-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Norris Lake is awesome. Check out the floating houses. We rented one for a week last year and it was awesome. It's basically a normal house but floating out in the water. You just take the boat out to it and tie up.

We rented from this place:

http://www.flathollowmarina.com/rentals-main.php

skiyaker
05-18-2011, 08:26 AM
the floating house/houseboat idea definitely looks awesome, but we'll have 3 families with small children so we're afraid of spending the whole time making sure there aren't any children overboard- but definitely something to do when they get older!

moombadaze
05-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Reese350, thanks for that link. Those floating house's look just right-experiance of the house boat without some of the cost--could be the 2012 summer trip

kaneboats
05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm thinking we should have an SC owners National reunion there in July 2012.

moombadaze
05-18-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm thinking we should have an SC owners National reunion there in July 2012.

I'll second that notion!

Is it to late to get this started.

evoimport6
05-23-2011, 01:04 PM
hey guys I'm about to book a place on Norris Lake and wondering if somebody familiar with the lake could give me any thoughts on location. Here's what the owner says about the cabin's location

"Cabin is located in Powder Mill Hollow (Cove) just above point 11 on the Powell River portion of Norris Lake. The closest marina is Springs Dock, about an 8-10 minute drive by car or by boat. The cabin is close to Deerfield and the Peninsula."

Anything good or bad about that area of the lake? Thoughts appreciated!

When are you planning on going?

skiyaker
05-23-2011, 05:30 PM
I'll be there Aug 6-13

Jceclipse01
05-23-2011, 05:44 PM
We go there every year for vacation and we stay in what sounds to be around the same part of the lake and the family loves it there. But it is 20mins from anything

skiyaker
05-23-2011, 06:37 PM
But it is 20mins from anything

that sounds like the best part- just me, my family, some great friends, a few cold ones... and oh yea the moomba (plus my buddy's tige!)

skiyaker
08-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Norris was flipin' fantastic-flat water everywhere with an ample helping of inboards- pics to follow as soon as I can unload my camera! TN you know how to make a lake!

moombadaze
08-13-2011, 08:39 PM
get them pics uploaded will ya

skiyaker
08-15-2011, 08:17 PM
here's a few pics from the trip!

skiyaker
08-15-2011, 08:36 PM
a few more!!