PDA

View Full Version : New Carpet Install

newty
05-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Let me preface this by stating this this is not a job for the faint of heart!;)

For reference this is an 08' LSV.

Fairly easy if you are patient and take your time.

Fist thing I did was remove the carpet from the floor panels and trim them with a grinder to help make the panels sit more flush with the floor and allow the ballast hose to flow freely.

I then used a very sharp razor to cut the carpet around the seat bases, then removed the carpet.

Next unscrewed I all the cast aluminum brackets that hold the seat bases to the floor. Then I pre measured and cut 2x4's. I raised the seat bases and dash up about 1/2" with a small floor jack. I held the bases up with the 2x4's

Note: make sure you take the screws out of the engine/locker dividers as they are attatched to both.

I made sure to scrape all the glue and carpet left-overs off with a putty knife.

newty
05-13-2011, 01:45 AM
After spending waaaaay too long trying to get the carpet from sc I was finally able to use some butcher paper to lay out the floor pattern, then laid it out on the garage floor to cut the carpet.

I made sure to cut the carpet 2-3" wider than the template just to make sure. When I got it into the boat and laid it out I used scissors to trim the carpet within an inch of the seat bases.

Next I pushed all the wrinkles out and used a big putty knife and jammed the carpet under the seat bases.

newty
05-13-2011, 02:00 AM
After verifiying I had the carpet cut correctly I pulled the carpet back one side at a time and used 3M Hi tac spray glue to glue down the carpet.

Note: the trick to using this stuff is patients. Spray both the surface of the carpet and the floor surface and wait....
Wait until both surfaces are less than tacky then stick it together. Do it right the first time because you only get one chance.

As I glued and stuck the carpet down I tucked it back under with the putty knife.

newty
05-13-2011, 02:02 AM
My Computer is being a PIA, I'll try to continue this tomorrow.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with PWI!:D

deafgoose
05-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Damn, that is an incredible amount of work and patience required.

Good job!

Thank god my OBV has a removable floor that makes this same process a easy.

moombadaze
05-13-2011, 07:11 AM
wow, what a difference allready-Looks great

I can tell right now Im going to have to save some money up for when the time comes to fly your ass down here(you do fit in a cardboard box right)

wolfeman131
05-13-2011, 09:24 AM
looks great Newty!

I'm thinking along w/ PWI, this would require some MWI (mod while intoxicated - or maybe the smell from the glue is all that you need).

mmandley
05-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Dam impressive man, sure wish you would have told me you were doing this mod so i could have stoped by to see it and ask you more questions man lol.

Guess ill have to ring your cell and ask my questions lol.

This might be a upgrade ole Fierah gets this next winter as her carpet is looking a little worn to say the least bro.

ian ashton
05-13-2011, 10:11 AM
So I'm clear on the process - you basically took all of the steps to separate the hull WITHOUT actually separating at the rub rail, right?

When you started to jack up to lift the top off of the bottom, did it make any cracking noises or anything? That would scare the bejesus out of me! That being said, I want to do this so freaking bad, you are my idol.

Did you replace with the exact same thing you removed, or with the new style? I hope you didn't get what they put in the '08's, because whatever my boat has suuucks.

newty
05-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Dam impressive man, sure wish you would have told me you were doing this mod so i could have stoped by to see it and ask you more questions man lol.

Guess ill have to ring your cell and ask my questions lol.

This might be a upgrade ole Fierah gets this next winter as her carpet is looking a little worn to say the least bro.
Sorry Mike, I was finishing up a boat for a friend and was in boat mod mode. I just ripped into it. I'll be finishing it up if you want to run up today?

So I'm clear on the process - you basically took all of the steps to separate the hull WITHOUT actually separating at the rub rail, right?

When you started to jack up to lift the top off of the bottom, did it make any cracking noises or anything? That would scare the bejesus out of me! That being said, I want to do this so freaking bad, you are my idol.

Did you replace with the exact same thing you removed, or with the new style? I hope you didn't get what they put in the '08's, because whatever my boat has suuucks.
Exactly, the only part that didn't move to easy was the back fiberglass along the back seat over the v-drive. All the seat bases and dash you could lift by hand once the screws were out.
The boat came with a 22oz carpet (unless you ordered the upgraded 32oz) I ordered the 32oz from skiers choice. Not cheap by the way, was close to $350 shipped. Yersterday I found the same stuff both in brown and grey at corinthian Marine for $200.:confused: Lesson learned.

wow, what a difference allready-Looks great

I can tell right now Im going to have to save some money up for when the time comes to fly your ass down here(you do fit in a cardboard box right)
You call it box, I call it first class. Stacy you could do this! Or you could do this and I could watch!

looks great Newty!

I'm thinking along w/ PWI, this would require some MWI (mod while intoxicated - or maybe the smell from the glue is all that you need).
LOL thanks, yea I got to the point last night where I knew I should stop (working) before I make a stupid mistake. Hence why I started PWI. :p

cab13367
05-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Wow, Ryan, that looks great! So are you going to trim the extra 2-3" or just leave it? If you are going to trim it, are you going to trim it on the outside of the seat bases or the inside? Where did you cut the old carpet (the inside or the outside)?

Also, I guess at this point the removeable floor panels are no longer removeable but there's really not a need to remove them.

Again, great job!

Al

bergermaister
05-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Impressive indeed. Nothin like adding a few carpet burns to the bloody knuckles. I've always thought that blood stains on the carpet adds character. :p

Dude you've seen my carpet, if you can still call it that... In need of an overhaul in the worst of ways. Next winter, garage full of boat and beer - we'll make it happen. Hopefully I'll have a bigger garage by then!

I'm wondering about the layout up under the helm and how you did the trimming to fit up there and still blend. My carpet runs right up the sides of the hull although there is a seam where the floor and the side meet and it is tucked in. I guess the cupholder would possibly cover it?

newty
05-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Wow, Ryan, that looks great! So are you going to trim the extra 2-3" or just leave it? If you are going to trim it, are you going to trim it on the outside of the seat bases or the inside? Where did you cut the old carpet (the inside or the outside)?

Also, I guess at this point the removeable floor panels are no longer removeable but there's really not a need to remove them.

Again, great job!

Al

Al, after I rough cut the carpet in for the boat I then went around and (in place) trimmed it down to an inch all the way around then tucked it in. I havent cut the carpet back yet in the pics but yes has fully removable panels. I'm also trying to figure out how to install these with out having screws throught he carpet. I think I have an idea but will post pics when I get it done.

Impressive indeed. Nothin like adding a few carpet burns to the bloody knuckles. I've always thought that blood stains on the carpet adds character. :p

Dude you've seen my carpet, if you can still call it that... In need of an overhaul in the worst of ways. Next winter, garage full of boat and beer - we'll make it happen. Hopefully I'll have a bigger garage by then!

I'm wondering about the layout up under the helm and how you did the trimming to fit up there and still blend. My carpet runs right up the sides of the hull although there is a seam where the floor and the side meet and it is tucked in. I guess the cupholder would possibly cover it?

Yea my finger tips and knees are killing me.:p
Lets do it Berg you said full of beer right!;)
I have some tricks to making it blend on the walls.
You may want to just replace the visible carpet on the walls just to alleviate the problem all together. Really the only place you see the carpet on the walls are under the cockpit. Unless of course unless teh seats are off or the lockers are open.

cab13367
05-14-2011, 02:53 AM
I'm also trying to figure out how to install these with out having screws through the carpet.

Why not just leave out the screws? Those panels are not going anywhere.

newty
05-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Once the one side is glued and tucked I went to the other side and glued from the middle out and tucked it all in.
Next I attacked the helm flooring. I glue small areas at a time and cut carefully along the existing carpet to make it blend.
Once the floor was done I felt around for the floor panels and made a cut approxamately 1 1/2" insid the panel so I could remove them and wrap the carpet into the panel recess.
I removed the panels and glued the overlap in.

newty
05-14-2011, 12:35 PM
I was considering doing a screwless set-up on the panels but decided against it because the carpet was heavy enough that the screws were hidden.

Of course I need a few beers to make the job easier.:p

newty
05-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Heres a look at the floor panels being carpeted.

Quick note: When I did the floor locker panel I found that there is a grain to the carpet. Soooo... yea I had the grain backwards and it looked like different carpet, I ended up redoing it. Make sure if you do this you keep track of how the grain is orientated when you lay out your panels.

newty
05-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Here is the finished product! I'm really happy with how it turned out. I'm already thinking about how I'm going to keep the carpet looking new. Maybe one of those office pads that chairs roll on.:p

Really this wasn't to bad of a job. realistically if I worked straight through it would have taken me 8-10 hrs. Hope you guy end up doing this as the result is awesome. I also found later that corinthianmarine.com has the same carpet in stock and is a bit cheaper than through your dealer.
If any of you end up doing this let me know and I can walk you through more of the process. There are a few little tricks I learned along the way.

wolfeman131
05-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Wow! Finished product looks fantastic!

Grant M
05-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Awesome - Looks Great! :D

cab13367
05-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Ryan,

Looks like a brand new boat. Great job!

Al

brain_rinse
05-16-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I need to do this too. Looks great! Once you have the seat bases up could you replace ALL the floor carpet without too much additional work?

moombadaze
05-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Ryan, looks fantastic-like a new boat!

Hey, what covering is under the drivers seat??--looks black, diamond pattern

sandm
05-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Looks nice. Wish supras were 'glas on the seatbase like he moombas. Think ill have a lot more work to do. Really hatin the factory stuff..

newty
05-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the complements guys.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I need to do this too. Looks great! Once you have the seat bases up could you replace ALL the floor carpet without too much additional work?

You could but that would be a LOT more work. The carpet under the seats really looks good. and doesn't wear like the rest of the floor.
Trying to get that carpet fed under the seats would be a pain in the arse.

Ryan, looks fantastic-like a new boat!

Hey, what covering is under the drivers seat??--looks black, diamond pattern
That is hydroturf. I put on the drivers armrest, gunwales, transome, bow, surfboards, etc. I eneded up putting it there because people always would leave stuff there behind the seat and end up scratching that surface. It looked like crap. That brown really shows the scratches.

Looks nice. Wish supras were 'glas on the seatbase like the moombas. Think ill have a lot more work to do. Really hatin the factory stuff..
You could do yours the same way but you would have to cover the bases too! I always liked the carpet bases but after doing this I think I've changed my mind.

When I first unrolled the carpet from SC I was a little dissapointed. It looked really flat and had no life. After cutting moving and fluffing the stuff it really came to life. It is thicker than the factory carpet but to go with the 40oz Supra carpet was cost prohibitive.
If my carpet turned to crap again after 4 years I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

newty
05-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Daze here is a close-up of the stuff. I love the stuff! Check the website for more colors. hydroturf.com Don't know if you can see it around the beer. :-O

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7753&d=1305390800

moombadaze
05-16-2011, 07:27 PM
^^for some strange reason I can't see a picture, just a red X

kaneboats
05-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I just e-mailed it to you. Cool stuff. I really like it. I don't think I would put carpet in again. I'd be tempted to use hydroturf or something similar instead.

moombadaze
05-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I just e-mailed it to you. Cool stuff. I really like it. I don't think I would put carpet in again. I'd be tempted to use hydroturf or something similar instead.

thanks for the photo's, strange as most times I can see the photos. I agree about hydroturf or maybe seadek being a replacement-i think i hate my carpet's look now, and I remember that I used to love it that 1st summer we had the boat

viking
05-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Looks good Newty!
What was the reason again why you opted NOT to replace carpet with Hydroturf/seadek or the like?

and why not a snap in version?

I know there was a good reason I just can't remember?

newty
05-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Viking, Once I pulled the carpet out I found that the floor panels and the floor had major gaps and were not at all square or straight. The carpet seems to hid a lot of these imperfections.
I considered fixing the floor around the panels, wrapping the panels with hydroturf, but the time/cost added to the fact it may just may not look right once it was all done just didn't add up to me.

Had I owned an OB or OBV I would have done it just because of the fact that there is only one panel to finish.

I'm still considering doing a lay-in or snap in to go over the top of the newcarpet just to lengthen the life if the carpet.

viking
05-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Damn - that had to have been a buzzkill after all that work pulling up the old carpet :( I would have never thought the panels were that far off. Good to know i guess.

Good thing you didn't buy all the material before you found out?

tcallis
03-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Newty,
Thank you for documenting this work.

How many cans of 3M Super 90 did you need? Is the glue and carpet holding up well?

How many feet of carpet did you order and use?

If I'm able to cut the carpet for the removable floor panels and ski locker hatch using the scraps leftover from the main carpet piece, it seems that as few as 14' feet of a 7.5' wide piece might be sufficient. The difference between a 14' long piece and 19' long piece of 32 oz from Corinthian is about $85, so I'd rather not end up with extra.

Thanks! Tom

newty
03-18-2013, 10:50 PM
2 seasons down and its holding up really well. I think I used 4 cans of glue. I just measured from the fiberglass behind the v-drive cap to the bow. I want to say it was 12' but I'm not sure. Locker and floor panels can be cut from the leftovers with out ordering extra. I think the carpet roll was 7' wide.
Double check the floor measurement and youll be fine.
I was under the impression Corinthian was out of buisness.

tcallis
03-20-2013, 11:04 AM
2 seasons down and its holding up really well. I think I used 4 cans of glue. I just measured from the fiberglass behind the v-drive cap to the bow. I want to say it was 12' but I'm not sure. Locker and floor panels can be cut from the leftovers with out ordering extra. I think the carpet roll was 7' wide.
Double check the floor measurement and youll be fine.
I was under the impression Corinthian was out of buisness.

Newty--
Very helpful information, thank you! I received carpet samples from Corinthian a few weeks ago, so it seems like they're still operating.

spyder
07-29-2013, 11:03 AM
are these pictures stored anywhere? i can no longer see them

StillCrawlin
02-09-2014, 05:29 AM
I agree great article But I would like to see the pics!!!

Boonejeepin
02-09-2014, 08:48 AM
The pics can be seen on wakeworld.

bergermaister
02-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Links or it didn't happen!

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787634