PDA

View Full Version : rental car/american car rant

sandm
05-12-2011, 05:14 PM
so I need a car for a trip to save gas/wear/tear on my truck. made a reservation with thrifty and picked some wildcard rate that guaranteed me a mid/full size for the price of a compact. don't know what you get until you get there. show up and all they have are a suburban and a lincoln towncar. the idea was to save gas. they were very unhelpful in how long to wait for a smaller car(basically screwed), so I head across to the avis counter to get a different car. they put me in a chevy malibu. nice car inside, but seats are not that comfy. immediately notice that the xm radio is not hooked up. lame. enterprise had theirs working on the hyundai I rented in march. figured I'd play some cd,s but typical of american engineering, the factory stereo, which appears to be the top level unit(bose) will only play mp3's burned onto a cdr. won't play any dvdr's, even ones that don't have folders, just mp3's. seems lame for a 2011 in this day and age of the data driven society. so fine, it'll be a lot of lonely driving. as I leave the area, I pass all the wash/repair bays and sure enough, thrifty's is loaded with small/midsize cars...

/end of rant..

maxpower220
05-13-2011, 08:24 AM
I rented an Avenger a few weeks ago, it did not even have a satelite option on the factory radio.
As late as 2006, the stock radio in a Corvette was a tape/CD combo. Who sold music on tapes in 2006?

Ian Brantford
05-13-2011, 10:34 AM
As late as 2006, the stock radio in a Corvette was a tape/CD combo. Who sold music on tapes in 2006?

I think that it's more a matter of who was still using their existing tapes in 2006. Answer: Corvette buyers, apparently.

Somewhere in a drawer, I still have a carry bag of drivin' tunes on tape. :-)

kaneboats
05-13-2011, 10:41 AM
I remember my Dad saying he could never buy a new car again because you can't find one with an 8-track player in it. (BTW, if you don't know what one of these is be glad because you were probably not in pain just from waking up this morning.)

sandm
05-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Led zeppelin 4 and it swithes to track 4 halfway thru a song..

WaterBullDawg1980
05-14-2011, 12:44 AM
I remember my Dad saying he could never buy a new car again because you can't find one with an 8-track player in it. (BTW, if you don't know what one of these is be glad because you were probably not in pain just from waking up this morning.)

I have never in my life seen an 8 track. For real. :confused:

I did buy a vintage record player so I could play a relatives 60s, 70s rock albums he left me. Very Niiiiice....

mmandley
05-14-2011, 08:33 AM
I think the reason you dont see these high end stereos in cars is because its an upgrade. I know when we got Claudias car if we wanted the 10 model it was the same price, a few less options that werent important but the big thing was Navagation in the car.

2500 for a Nav unit from the factory so it had a warrenty and looked stock. Crazy man.

Just because it says Bose doesnt mean its the Bose your used to hearing in your house LOL.

Corvette with a Cassette CD hell yes because the average Corvette buyer is mid 40s to mid 50s and those guys still have the stack of cassette in the breifcases lol.

kaneboats
05-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Well, my wife has one of those briefcases around somewhere. She used to come pick me up in her new Firebird and we'd listen to those cassettes. I had a VW Rabbit when we met so we'd take her car to go out. LOL! It was great dating a woman who had a job cuz I sure didn't have one.

cbboarder
05-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Had a Camaro with 8 track, Rush Hemispheres was the only 8 track I had. I'm starting to get the munchies...

sandm
05-15-2011, 10:43 AM
I had a VW Rabbit.

Well pretend u didn't say that kane :)

kaneboats
05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
It was 80 miles a day round trip to school, bro. You do what works when you're broke.

sailing217
05-16-2011, 12:06 PM
06-08' maybe even present Lexus IS cars had a button for Satellite but only could install an aftermarket plug-in unit (unless you get the NAV package that's $4k+). Yes even on the IS-F which is a $70k car! Dealer would install it for $750, I installed it myself for $160.

My first car (1991) I mounted a little rubber platform and would velcro my cd player to is so it wouldn't skip and a cassett adapter.

Saw an elusive 8-track once in my uncle's living room of a wood console the size of a refridgerator on it's side housed the stereo and speakers. Beach boys Christmas anyone?

kaneboats
05-16-2011, 12:43 PM
I think my mom still plays that 8 track on that same stereo. That huge console unit was big bucks back in the day. Hers has a record player AND an 8 track player. It's huge. I think Motorola made it.

My worst music memory was this old green 8 track tape that seemed to be the only one on the boat (an aluminum cabin cruiser painted Texaco green -- the same color as the 8 track tape). It was Herp Alpert & the Tijuana Brass. I especially remember this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-_2QpbXMbw

rc5695
05-18-2011, 12:04 PM
My first car (1991) I mounted a little rubber platform and would velcro my cd player to is so it wouldn't skip and a cassett adapter.

Saw an elusive 8-track once in my uncle's living room of a wood console the size of a refridgerator on it's side housed the stereo and speakers. Beach boys Christmas anyone?

My first car was an '85 Chevy Citation II. I skipped the rubber nad just put velcro on the dash to hold it. It worked most of the time :rolleyes:

I've seen 8-tracks, but never heard one...I did have a record player when I was a kid though... a little kid... ;)

rc5695
05-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Corvette with a Cassette CD hell yes because the average Corvette buyer is mid 40s to mid 50s and those guys still have the stack of cassette in the breifcases lol.

That's what I was going to say. I used to have one of those breifcases too :rolleyes:

dusty2221
05-18-2011, 12:14 PM
I'll never forget the T-Bird my grandma had when I was growing up. Thanks to that car, I got to experience the 8 track.

rdlangston13
05-20-2011, 01:55 PM
ive never heard of a stereo playing DVD-Rs in a car! i need to refresh myself on technology! however i can not even tell you the last time i used a CD player, with me it just has to have an aux in for my ipod and my chevy HHR that i rented last had one as doesmy dodge ram so i am happy

sandm
05-20-2011, 02:16 PM
last 3 rental cars I had were all xm equipped and hooked up. this one had it, but avis did not have it activated. won't be using them again.

I don't own an ipod, so the jack is useless to me. I use thumbdrives in my truck and my boat. really guess it's time to get one, but I HATE itunes. it's not user friendly imo.. especially when 99% of my singles came off limewire..