PDA

View Full Version : need custom sub box and facia

usaski1
05-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Okay, so I'm pretty incompetent at this stuff, what I need is a custom box for a kicker km10 sub. And a facia to tuck it at the drivers legs footwell.. Im offering $100 for someone to do this for me ant mail me the items? Anyoneone good at making boxes and want a quick job, or have an Outback and know the dimentions for the box and facia to make it for me? Again offering $100 for this.. I know I can get a box for $25, so...

ian ashton
05-12-2011, 02:10 PM
I would be happy to do this for you, however I think shipping the box from Michigan to Texas would be pretty pricey.

Its definitely not a super hard project, I was able to knock mine out in a fairly short period of time. The nice thing about using a facia panel is that the box doesn't really have to be pretty, just that cover panel.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10731

kaneboats
05-12-2011, 02:51 PM
I think what he needs is a copy of that sheet of paper in the pics.

Razzman
05-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Just for reference I shipped my old resined mdf sub box and 10" sub to a member in Georgia if i remember right and it was around $65 to ship. Making a box from mdf correctly alone will cost around $50-60 probably, mdf, resined, etc.

I'm just guessing here but you probably need a .6-.7 cubic foot box for that. Your best bet here is to buy a premade box in that size, very common at any stereo shop. Apply a coat of resin if you want or not. Screw it to the top of the drivers space hump and you won't need a fascia. That's where my original was and it sounded decent and not in the way.

ian ashton
05-13-2011, 08:51 AM
That is a good plan, unless you have a heater, then it won't fit.

Razzman
05-13-2011, 09:21 AM
That is a good plan, unless you have a heater, then it won't fit.

It fit on my LSV there with a heater but not sure about the Outback.

mmandley
05-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Shipping the box is gonna be the cost breaker here.

I shipped my L10 Kicker sub and box from Or to NY i think it was last year and even on a buisness rate it was 50 or so bucks.

If you can read the diagram for the cut outs and can use a saw or have a buddy with a table saw its much cheaper to build it yourself. You can then have a shop carpet it of a few dollars.

Other wise your looking at 50 to ship plus 100 to build.

I hope what you really mean is you will pay for supplies, give the builder 100 and pay shipping.

Razz idea will work great too as a fascia covers all the uglies.

usaski1
05-13-2011, 09:44 AM
meh.. perhaps I ought to tackle this myself... I didnt think shipping was going to be a big issue. Perhaps I'll just get a wedge type box, and some plywood and make a facia... carpet it grey and call it that.

mmandley
05-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Biggest issue with shipping is size and weight of a box even small boxes are heavy with Mdf and glassing

Eric Z
05-13-2011, 02:29 PM
I had mine done by a guy here in Oregon and he did a great job. It was cheap also. Built the box and put some resin on it. I have a heater so it is like an upside down triangle shape. Then built a Facia for it and even put the JL audio logo on it. He then put carpet over it and it turned out great. I think looking back I could have done it myself but he tuned the box and ported it total install and adjusted my system for likt $150.

KG's Supra24
05-13-2011, 03:28 PM
I had mine done by a guy here in Oregon and he did a great job. It was cheap also. Built the box and put some resin on it. I have a heater so it is like an upside down triangle shape. Then built a Facia for it and even put the JL audio logo on it. He then put carpet over it and it turned out great. I think looking back I could have done it myself but he tuned the box and ported it total install and adjusted my system for likt $150.

That seems like a great deal there Eric. Looks good too. Did you loose any legroom doing that?

Eric Z
05-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Maybe lost 3" at the most. If you look at the cup holder over on the side you can see about how much I lost. The front is now flat not angled like it was with the stock sub that it had in it. I would recomend the guy to anyone around my area. Very helpfull on any questions I had and got it done quick. He was a guy who was just starting out trying to start his own buisness.

slyman34
06-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi Eric,

I'm new to the board but grew up in Salem and still have family there and frequent Detroit Lake a few times every year. I've been wanting to do this for a few years now and just haven't gotten around to it but your post has renewed my enthusiasm. Can you give me the name and number of the installer you used?

Eric Z
06-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I lost his phone number but his name is Richard and you can find him on Facebook. His busness is called Autoboxpro. Look it up on facebook and you will find him. Nice guy who works out of his garage but does good work at a cheap price. Tell him I sent you...