PDA

View Full Version : Tower install help!!!

BadbluSi
05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Ok I have everything all wired up and unfortunately had to run the wire over the window and down through the arm rest spot by the throttle control. This isn't the problem. The problem is now my boat cover won't go on!!! I had to make a vertical cut to clear the wire and cover the boat! Any help or suggestions? Are there covers that compensate for this?

moombahighrider
05-11-2011, 10:33 PM
So are you saying that you did not run the wire/s through the tower? All wiring should go through one of the two front legs of the tower. There is a cutout in the tower feet to accommodate wiring and hide it all. Beyond doing this, I have no more advise for you. The cover will fit fine if you do the wiring this way.

EarmarkMarine
05-11-2011, 10:36 PM
I don't know why the wire wasn't brought out near the base of the tower and entered the deck cap close to the tower foot so that it didn't interfere with an opened pass-thru window or interfere with the cover. But if its too late and you have to live with it a canvas shop can sew in a pocket and seam with a velcro flap.

David
Earmark Marine

BadbluSi
05-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Apparently I got a bit over zealous with the drill and wanting to get everything done!! Damn!

EarmarkMarine
05-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Send me some photos and maybe this thing can be salvaged.

[email protected]

David
Earmark Marine

BadbluSi
05-12-2011, 11:10 AM
David I'll snap a couple when I get to the house this evening. This is my first install on my first boat, so rookie mistakes are to be expected! Thanks guys

kaneboats
05-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Here's a sequence to follow for the future:

1. Plan
2. Draw
3. Plan
4. Measure
5. Plan
6. Measure
7. Draw
8. Adjust plan
9. Measure again
10. Redraw
11. Doublecheck everything
12. Cut or drill.

Edit: Oh yeah, feel free to add in "Ask for advice, help, etc. on here at any step."

cab13367
05-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Ok I have everything all wired up and unfortunately had to run the wire over the window and down through the arm rest spot by the throttle control.

You did what??

moombadaze
05-12-2011, 11:36 AM
how about posting some photos here

BadbluSi
05-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Had a feeling I was gonna get the "you did what" questions!! I messed up, I know, needed to ask more questions I guess.

cab13367
05-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Had a feeling I was gonna get the "you did what" questions!! I messed up, I know, needed to ask more questions I guess.

badblu,

No worries, just giving ya a hard time but honestly, we're here to help. We have all done things we wish we didn't - that's why you see so many stereo makeovers on this site - because we almost never do it right the first time!

There's a lot of collective experience on this forum. Post up some pics and I am sure you will get a number of good suggestions how to fix your issue.

Al

moombadaze
05-12-2011, 03:09 PM
- because we almost never do it right the first time!

Boy is that true-you would totally get what Im say if one-you saw my balast fill system and two-you saw the madussa style wireing my stereo system currently has-both schedualled to be redone this comeing winter season.

ian ashton
05-12-2011, 03:18 PM
I feel like this is an 'April Fools!' thread, lol.

Definitely post up the pictures so we can help you figure out an easy, clean, and safe solution :)

WaterBullDawg1980
05-12-2011, 07:41 PM
I feel like this is an 'April Fools!' thread, lol.

Definitely post up the pictures so we can help you figure out an easy, clean, and safe solution :)

I think it probably sounds worse than it is. At least I hope.

I have this crazy picture in my head of wires wrapped around the steering wheel, duct tape, and empty beer cans.

To the OP: No matter how bad it is, we'll get ya squared away. :)

Razzman
05-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Now worries, exactly what Cab said, there's plenty here willing to help and loads of collective experience. Not to mention we have three audio professionals that frequent almost everyday.

Post the pics, let's see how bad it really is and let's get ur done! :p

BadbluSi
05-13-2011, 08:21 AM
heres a couple of pics, after talking with Dave from Earmark, I figured out I brought the wire out a bit too soon! thanks for the help guys

moombadaze
05-13-2011, 08:33 AM
looks to be a simple fix of rerouting and a plug or 2 to cover up the holes

BadbluSi
05-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Guess I made it sound worse than it is, although would've been more fun if I had put a bunch of duck tape and wires everywhere! Haha thanks guys

mmandley
05-13-2011, 09:26 AM
From those pics looks like you just need to run the line a little father down the tower tube and then bring it out. You then drill the hole threw the boat by the tower foot into the dash area, or you ad a connection plug there.

As for the little hole in the dash, you can actauly wire an LED there and have it connted as a visual reference for something to fill in that hole.

BadbluSi
05-13-2011, 10:01 AM
I was actually thinking of doing just that with using an LED, could be an extra cabin light. And since the green cabin replacements came yesterday, I'll add that to the "to do" list