PDA

View Full Version : Uggghhhh ohhh.....I went and joined the darkside....

WaterBullDawg1980
05-11-2011, 06:50 PM
So I woke up all groggy and noticed a large amount of money missing from my checking account....

It appears that I blacked out today and sent over money to some guy named Brian who works for some company called Exile. You guys heard of it?????
:confused:

Hopefully before too long I will have 4 SXT65 Spins as well as the Harpoon blaring some Led Zeppelin straight into little Fiona's face while I try and teach her how to surf this year.

My wife would like to thank the entire Moomba Forum and Brian at Exile for encouraging my purchase. She then walked out the door and said "Kids are all yours, I'm going shopping now!"

And Cab, I'm going to use your thread for the help during my install. So how many beers do you think this one will take me? :cool:

c.rix
05-11-2011, 06:53 PM
So I woke up all groggy and noticed a large amount of money missing from my checking account....

It appears that I blacked out today and sent over money to some guy named Brian who works for some company called Exile. You guys heard of it?????

Hopefully before too long I will have 4 SXT65 Spins as well as the Harpoon blaring some Led Zeppelin straight into little Fiona's face while I try and teach her how to surf this year.

My wife would like to thank the entire Moomba Forum and Brian at Exile for encouraging my purchase. She then walked out the door and said "Kids are all yours, I'm going shopping now!"

And Cab, I'm going to use your thread for the help during my install. So how many beers do you think this one will take me? :cool:

My guess 47 beers I mean why not take your time and do it right

cab13367
05-11-2011, 08:12 PM

Umm, sorry, my thread won't help. Your boat has a different tower than mine. Not sure if the same procedure is applicable?

Congrats on the Exile purchase though. The peer pressure on this forum is unbearable, isn't it??

Good luck with the wife :)

Al

Canuckle Head
05-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Pretty sure the proceedure will be the same Al. I will be finding out anyway as I will be installing 4 stx65's onto my tower which I believe is the same as WBD.

I should be getting my boat back tomorrow from the fiberglasser. Had a bad spider crack repaired on the gunwale and also had a sub box glassed in under the helm to house my new 12" Exile sub!

Pictures to follow soon.......

WaterBullDawg1980
05-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Pretty sure the proceedure will be the same Al. I will be finding out anyway as I will be installing 4 stx65's onto my tower which I believe is the same as WBD.

I should be getting my boat back tomorrow from the fiberglasser. Had a bad spider crack repaired on the gunwale and also had a sub box glassed in under the helm to house my new 12" Exile sub!

Pictures to follow soon.......

Alright, well need to be doing this together then! :)

When are you getting your equipment in?

Canuckle Head
05-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Already have it. Just haven't had the time to install anything yet. As it stands I have 4 projects on the go. A new ballast system, LED lighting, a 2nd battery, and a massive stereo install.

So far I have the thru-hulls, the intakes and the transom LED lights installed and once I get my boat back I'll be looking to make some progress on everything else.

I am away this weekend so I highly doubt I will get much done till next week. Can anyone tell me why Cab decided to move his speakers to the back bar on his tower? What's wrong with leaving them on the front?

brain_rinse
05-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the club!

brain_rinse
05-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Can anyone tell me why Cab decided to move his speakers to the back bar on his tower? What's wrong with leaving them on the front?
I think most people, myself included, put them on the back bar. Aesthetics and bimini clearance are the 2 main reasons I think. But there are plenty of people that keep them on the front bar, and even people that put them up top. What ever works for you!

Razzman
05-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Can anyone tell me why Cab decided to move his speakers to the back bar on his tower? What's wrong with leaving them on the front?

Placement is a personal preference, wherever you like them. From experience though I can tell you the biggest reason to put them on the back/stern bar is sound. The more forward towards the bow the speakers are, the louder it will be in the cabin from them. If your thinking forward bar for ease of install I would rethink that, it's not that much harder to get them on the back bar.

Second reason is the bimini. Depending on your tower and bimini they may not clear the bimini.

There's a lot of factors to think about when doing these. If in doubt install everything on the tower with the wires outside temporarily and see what works and what doesn't.

Sea N' Things
05-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the Exile family, isn't Brian a great guy...

Answer: Yes!

WaterBullDawg1980
05-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Welcome to the club!

Thank you sir!

Razzman
05-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Yeah I forgot that part ... Welcome to the club! :p

cab13367
05-12-2011, 12:33 AM

What brain and razzman said! And actually, my speakers were never on the front tube.

moombadaze
05-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Welcome to the darkside club.

Think I'm the only one with the speakers on the front bar. I can hear them from the drivers seat but not sure how much more than if they were on the back bar-no biggie to me. No clearance issue with bimini but if I had the Z5 I think I would have issue's.

WBD-you coming to Sinclair for Drew's party in july?

mmandley
05-12-2011, 09:30 AM
I have installed Exiles on the rear bar of the same tower you guys have. Its a bit harder and I ccouldnt get the wireless look as the center bar was too small to risk the drilling.

I was able to run both lines up the front tube, then jumped them both to the rear tube, added the plastic wire cover to look factory. Then i ran the wire in the rear tube just fine.

Its difficult and takes a lot of fore thought and planning but it can be done.

Let me know if you need some advise or anything.

Most important thing to make it easy is Solder the connections dont use butt connectors in the rear tube and also your solder points need to be off set from one another to keep the wire from becommng to fat in the section of your splices. Heatshrink the solder joints and your golden.

I also ran the wires down the front tub and drilled a hole in the boat to push the wires threw, then added plastic wire cover to that area and it looked really nice. I felt it looked nicer then just using the connector plugs some use.

cab13367
05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Welcome to the darkside club.

Think I'm the only one with the speakers on the front bar. I can hear them from the drivers seat but not sure how much more than if they were on the back bar-no biggie to me. No clearance issue with bimini but if I had the Z5 I think I would have issue's.

WBD-you coming to Sinclair for Drew's party in july?

Daze,

You must not have your Bimini in the fully extended position when opened if the speakers aren't in the way. Can you walk under it without ducking? Or did you slide the Bimini clamps way forward on the tower?

Al

moombadaze
05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Daze,

You must not have your Bimini in the fully extended position when opened if the speakers aren't in the way. Can you walk under it without ducking? Or did you slide the Bimini clamps way forward on the tower?

Al

Al, I don't have the bimini fully extended. I actually made some modifcations to it from a idea I got after looking at how you did your's. What I did was let the front starps out to the full extended adjustmet, then adjusted the rear straps out till the bimini was level. Then I drilled a hole in each slider bar for the little pin to pop out of. So I have three position's-factory full extended for travel height to strap to the tower, my deployed height that I can just barely walk under, and the factory deployed height-bars slid down all the way. Never moved the clamps from where they were positioned from. I have about a 1/2 clearance for the speaker to bimini space

Does that all make sense?

jbheuerman
05-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Can't wait to see the finished product! Hope you keep us posted on any issues and progress pics.

kaneboats
05-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Daze, it makes sense to me. You drilled your own set of holes for bimini height. Love it.

Welcome to another member of the Exile club-- fastest growing club on the water. You can hear 'em coming!

moombadaze
05-12-2011, 11:20 AM
^^^^I can bring the cordless drill next weekend and we can do yours too if you like after we consum a few cold ones:o

kaneboats
05-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm always up for having a few cold ones and drilling some fresh holes in the boat. :)