PDA

View Full Version : Possible Starter Issue?

KG's Supra24
05-09-2011, 03:39 PM
When I pulled the boat out from winter i replaced the batteries as mine were now 5 years old. Tried to crank over the motor and it gives me a click. About every 5th or so turn the motor turns over.

I cleaned off some corrosion on the terminals at the starter and rechecked the terminals at the battery. 2 weekends ago it was turning over about every other time. Last weekend i was back to it turning over every 5th or so. Each time it doesnt crank, i get a click somewhere near the starter.

Does this sound like a starter going out? Any other possible ideas?

Thanks in advance.

rdlangston13
05-09-2011, 07:38 PM
is it a rapid click or just one single click? sounds like a starter

maxpower220
05-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Cheap way, put jumper cables on from your truck. Less expensive way: take the battery to an auto parts store and have them check it under load. Those will take battery issues out of the equation, then you can check the starter.

newty
05-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Could be the solenoid. Might be cheaper. Take it to any autoparts place and they'll check it for free typically.

davinci
05-09-2011, 11:04 PM
It definitely sounds like the solenoid.much easier removing the entie starter though
just 2 bolts and have the whole thing rebuilt new for about $60

KG's Supra24
05-10-2011, 09:22 AM
It only clicks once.

Batteries are out of the question since they are brand new. Plus if the batteries were dead it wouldn't crank over every so often.

If i crossover the solenoid it pops everytime, not sure if that means it is necessarily good, though.

If we are only talking $60 I think I'll pull em and have it rebuilt. Is a rebuilt starter the way to go versus a new one?

mmandley
05-10-2011, 12:07 PM
My money is on solenoid. What your hearing is the contacts closing and the solenoid not engaging the starter to spin.

Another issue it might be is the solenoid engaging and the starting sticking.

Eighter way you replace them as a pair. Its just smarter that way. You wont be able to get a rebuild for the boat for 60 bucks lol.

Rebuild is fine but it needs to be a marine use starter due to the electrical hazards.

davinci
05-10-2011, 09:35 PM
KG what motor do you have in there...I might be able to get get you a brand new one for 60$ plus shipping (yes a marine one)

KG's Supra24
05-10-2011, 09:57 PM
KG what motor do you have in there...I might be able to get get you a brand new one for 60$ plus shipping (yes a marine one)

I have the 340 Cat. That would be awesome if you could. The Indmar is $277.28 for the pair and about $77 for solenoid only.

cowboyl
05-10-2011, 11:31 PM
if you jump the solinoid and it crankes every time , but only works every 5th time with the key, does it click each time with a key turn? i would bank that if you jump it at the solinoid you have corrosion on a connection. take the cables off , use a wire brush on all conection points and re tighten with a dab of dielectric grease. do the supply and trigger lines at the starter and at the key. hope that helps

davinci
05-11-2011, 12:07 AM
I have the 340 Cat. That would be awesome if you could. The Indmar is $277.28 for the pair and about $77 for solenoid only.

I will call my guy and let you know tomorrow

KG's Supra24
05-11-2011, 08:56 AM
if you jump the solinoid and it crankes every time , but only works every 5th time with the key, does it click each time with a key turn? i would bank that if you jump it at the solinoid you have corrosion on a connection. take the cables off , use a wire brush on all conection points and re tighten with a dab of dielectric grease. do the supply and trigger lines at the starter and at the key. hope that helps

If i jump the solenoid it does not engage the starter everytime. When i first did it I didn't realize the starter should be trying to turn the boat over. Each time i jumped the solenoid, i got nothing from the starter. Just the click of the solenoid if that makes sense.

I used a wire brush on all the connections at the starter but still the same result.

From the key I get a click everytime, a start every 5th or so. I only jumped the solenoid a couple times.

cowboyl
05-11-2011, 06:02 PM
could be worn brushes in the starter, or a bad solenoid. i would bank on the side of the starter vs the solenoid. they are built pretty bulletproof and if its pounding hard you may have a flat spot on the armature causing the dead spot. the other way to"test" and i use this loosely is to "tap" on the side of the starter and see if that reduces the amount of start attempts it takes.

you can also take a set of booster cables and bypass the solenoid all together and power the starter. it will either work or not. i suspect it will take multiple taps to get it to go.

i would just get a starter ordered up or remove it and have it rebuilt. i would highly doubt its the solenoid if it dosent fire each time with a jump.

davinci
05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I will call my guy and let you know tomorrow

spoke to him..he needs the part # or the # on the starter BTW the company is DNS one of the largest manufacturers of starters/ alternators and water pumps my nephew is the plants alternator dept. Manager.

cham
05-11-2011, 08:44 PM
It only clicks once.

Batteries are out of the question since they are brand new. Plus if the batteries were dead it wouldn't crank over every so often.

If i crossover the solenoid it pops everytime, not sure if that means it is necessarily good, though.

If we are only talking $60 I think I'll pull em and have it rebuilt. Is a rebuilt starter the way to go versus a new one?

Mine was doing this EXACT thing the past couple weeks. I would click once and if I sat there and "clicked" it a dozen or two times it would start. I replaced my starter and everything is perfect now.

I believe the "click" is the actual sulenoid clicking and the starter not turning over. When you energize the starter assembly the first thing that happens is the suleniod closes, when properly working you never hear the click, just the starter turn over.

By the way, discount inboard is running a 10% off promo (at least they were last week when I ordered my starter). Type "malibu" in the coupon code. Took the $200 starter to $180.

cham
05-11-2011, 08:46 PM
And by the way, replacing a starter can be done by a 5 year old. Two bolts and one electrical connection.

Don't pay for it to be done.

KG's Supra24
05-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Mine was doing this EXACT thing the past couple weeks. I would click once and if I sat there and "clicked" it a dozen or two times it would start. I replaced my starter and everything is perfect now.

I believe the "click" is the actual sulenoid clicking and the starter not turning over. When you energize the starter assembly the first thing that happens is the suleniod closes, when properly working you never hear the click, just the starter turn over.

By the way, discount inboard is running a 10% off promo (at least they were last week when I ordered my starter). Type "malibu" in the coupon code. Took the $200 starter to $180.

Do you remember the part #?

KG's Supra24
05-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Starter Part #:

The Indmar number is S571006. The Arco number (aftermarket) is 57-30470.

Davinci, I appreciate the offer but time was becoming more important than money as a I have a pretty big trip planned this weekend.