PDA

View Full Version : anyone replaced there own driveshaft?

STANG KILLA SS
05-09-2011, 11:51 AM
what all is involved? (11 LSV)
special tools?
tricky parts?
any how to's?

sandm
05-09-2011, 12:00 PM
guessing your driveshaft bent from your prop getting damaged?

rdlangston13
05-09-2011, 12:46 PM
i think there is some info on how to repack it and align it in the how to information section

DOCDRS
05-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I have been present when my shaft has been removed and replaced on 2 occasions.....both under warranty......I would not hesitate to do it myself. A prop puller is the only specialized tool you need

jixim
05-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I bent the drive shaft on my LSV a couple summers ago when we hit something, probably an old dock post. The shock was strong enough to damage the hull, just under the drive shaft support... So double check to make sure it's ok.

For me insurance pay the bill, but the dealer had to redo twice the engine alignment. First time I go the boat back it was vibrating like crazy. I know nothing about aligning shaft/engine/etc. and that's not something I'd try, unless I can get some help from knowledgeable folks.

Good luck.

DOCDRS
05-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Aligning the tranny or vdrve coupler to the propshaft coupler is very easy. The instructions are in the how to forum and I see no reason why anyone should not check the alignment at least evry year or two. I believe it is a 100 hour service interval

STANG KILLA SS
05-11-2011, 11:52 AM
i THINK i might still have a chance my shaft is not bent. went to pull the prop off again and it was not fully seated. there was a 1/16" gap between the prop and nut (was touching when i installed it) and when i went to put the prop puller on before i even started tightening the prop just slid off. no tap, no clamp, no torch.

i got the new prop today and will make sure this one is fully seated.

DOCDRS
05-11-2011, 12:20 PM
checking your alignment will tell you if your shaft is bent, unless the bend is behind the strut, then your prop will not rotate concentrically and should give you weird vibrations

04OUTBACK
05-12-2011, 04:24 PM
This was from when I replaced my shaft on a DD Outback.. most of it will apply
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=4163&page=2

Hit stump.. bent prop and shaft.. much like your situation..

Elberts is big help. they sell the shaft, parts, tools, etc. and great help on the phone..

BW

STANG KILLA SS
05-14-2011, 04:05 PM
well i found out why i still had a vibration after replacing the bent stock prop with the acme 1433. i was going to install the new 1939 and discovered this. no clue how i missed it the first time. gonna have to take her in for new strut and shaft. hopefully we didnt damage the v-drive too by wakeboarding a whole weekend with it this way. :(

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9389/img1490df.jpg

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1258/img1489o.jpg

Grant M
05-14-2011, 05:36 PM
***OUCH*** :cry:

Well at least now you know and it isn't a huge job to repair.

DOCDRS
05-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Why people refuse to check their alignment after they hit something , or check it regularly is beyond me. It is a very very simple procedure! My rant

squeeg333
05-24-2011, 12:48 AM
You guys know if there is anything special that you need to do when re-installing the shaft thru the new dripless shaft seal? I thought I read somewhere where a guy used a tube, slightly larger diameter than the shaft, to spread the seals while installing the shaft... any advice on that?? I have to replace my strut bushings, since my lower one is basically non-existent. I hope, one I get the shaft out, that it's not bent. I didn't hit anything, but looking a little too in depth into the boat I guess!