PDA

View Full Version : Drilled 8 new holes in the tower...

brain_rinse
05-07-2011, 11:14 PM
No pics yet, but it sounds GOOD!

mmandley
05-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Interesting, very interesting. I know what 8 holes in a tower can do, or mean, or allow access to. But then again i already got 8 holes in my tower, and im adding more.

brain_rinse
05-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Ok, how about a couple of boring garage pics...

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm219/dan_powers/08%20Moomba%20Mobius%20LSV/33d68e8b.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm219/dan_powers/08%20Moomba%20Mobius%20LSV/28de79a9.jpg

rdlangston13
05-08-2011, 10:36 PM
you want to reinstall my tower speakers for me? i like the wireless look!

brain_rinse
05-08-2011, 10:43 PM
you want to reinstall my tower speakers for me? i like the wireless look!
Thanks! So funny story on the wiring... I got so frustrated trying to pull the wires to the rear tube I just yanked them completely out and started over. My wife came out and talked me off my cliff and had a couple of good ideas on how to get it done. So I'll gladly help, but you'd be better off with her helping. :)

moombadaze
05-09-2011, 07:25 AM
... I got so frustrated trying to pull the wires to the rear tube I just yanked them completely out and started over. . :)

And thats why I installed mine on the front bar-there is just no way I could handle that frustration

looking good Dan

cab13367
05-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Nice work Dan and I feel you on the frustration. I went thru the center oval tube so I had to get two pairs of 12ga thru one hole. Really had to get creative AND exercise a whole lot of patience.

kaneboats
05-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I hope you guys post up your methods for those of us who hope to get there some day.

dusty2221
05-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Details on the final method of getting to the rear bar?

brain_rinse
05-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Details on the final method of getting to the rear bar?
Ed pretty much nailed it. My main issue was that I used 4-wire speaker cables. The outer jacket is another layer of protection for the wires, but it also adds to the bulk. Fishing the wires in sets of 4 proved to be too frustrating, so I ended up removing the outer jacket and taping the wires up in pairs. Pulling them through one set at a time was actually pretty easy. Thank you, honey.

Ok, a couple of things I'd add to Ed's explanation...
You drill from the front tube all the way through into the crossmember, then do the same thing on the rear tube. That gets you your "through and through" access holes.

I pulled the wires in 3 steps. First, out the hole in the front of the front tower tube. Second, back through the front tube, through the crossmember, and out the the rear tube. Finally, back in the rear tube and out the bottom holes for each speaker. No idea if that makes any sense without a picture... :)

kaneboats
05-09-2011, 03:41 PM
If I'm reading you correctly you need a real long bit because you use the hole on the front of the front bar as the access point for the drill to reach back to the front of the rear. Is that right?

brain_rinse
05-09-2011, 03:53 PM
If I'm reading you correctly you need a real long bit because you use the hole on the front of the front bar as the access point for the drill to reach back to the front of the rear. Is that right?
No, although that would probably work! You're right in that I drilled all the way through the front bar and into the crossmember. But then I drilled another hole in the same manner in the rear tube - all the way through and into the crossmember. So I ended up with one visible hole on the front tube and one on the back tube. And like Ed said - looking through the front hole you see daylight out the back.

kaneboats
05-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Sounds like you drilled an extra one you didn't need. Did you have to drill another one for the wires to get into the speaker or could you use the extra one in the back of the back?

dusty2221
05-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm guessing just by "eyeballing" it to get the two hole in somewhat of the same location vs a mega long drill bit to go from front to rear?

That explains the 8 holes, 1 for each speaker, 2 on each bar...makes sense now. Thanks

sandm
05-09-2011, 04:06 PM
looks real nice..

brain_rinse
05-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Sounds like you drilled an extra one you didn't need. Did you have to drill another one for the wires to get into the speaker or could you use the extra one in the back of the back?
Yes, I drilled 4 holes in the bottom of the rear tube, one for each speaker. You could skip that and just have the wires come out the back hole of the rear tube and then into the speakers. Not totally wireless, but it would work and save a few holes.

I'm guessing just by "eyeballing" it to get the two hole ins somewhat of the same location vs a mega long drill bit to go from front to rear?

That explains the 8 holes, 1 for each speaker, 2 on each bar...makes sense now. Thanks
Yes, you got it!

newty
05-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Looks good! I just got mine all wired up too. Mine don't work just yet.:(

cab13367
05-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Ed pretty much nailed it. My main issue was that I used 4-wire speaker cables. The outer jacket is another layer of protection for the wires, but it also adds to the bulk. Fishing the wires in sets of 4 proved to be too frustrating, so I ended up removing the outer jacket and taping the wires up in pairs. Pulling them through one set at a time was actually pretty easy.

Dan,

Am I reading this right in that you ran a total of 4 pairs of speaker wires thru the tower so that you have a home run from each speaker back to the amp?

Al

brain_rinse
05-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Dan,

Am I reading this right in that you ran a total of 4 pairs of speaker wires thru the tower so that you have a home run from each speaker back to the amp?

Al
Yes, that's correct. I did this originally for the Fusion tower speakers so I could amp the 5 1/4" coax speakers separate from the 6 1/2" components. I'm using a 4 channel Alpine PDX amp to push them.

dusty2221
05-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Got a few other questions for ya if you don't mind.

What size did you drill that front and rear hole?

Is the hole in the rear bar necessary if I have a bit long enough to go all the way through the cross tube to get both sides just from the front?

Did that extra rear hole come in handy or was is solely to get thru the tube?

brain_rinse
05-10-2011, 10:17 AM

Is the hole in the rear bar necessary if I have a bit long enough to go all the way through the cross tube to get both sides just from the front?

The front and rear holes I drilled at 7/16". The individual speaker holes were a few sizes smaller but I don't remember exactly what size bit I used.

The rear hole made fishing wires much easier. I'm sure you could get it done without it, but it would take some creativity.

kaneboats
05-10-2011, 10:36 AM
You'd probably have to take something like string trimmer (you know, weed whipper) line and push up through the hole for the speaker and try to find the hole back into the cross member. A little fishing and it could be done. One thing about a standard size like 7/16" is that you will be able to find nice little plugs at home depot to fit the extra holes.

brain_rinse
05-10-2011, 10:49 AM
You'd probably have to take something like string trimmer (you know, weed whipper) line and push up through the hole for the speaker and try to find the hole back into the cross member. A little fishing and it could be done. One thing about a standard size like 7/16" is that you will be able to find nice little plugs at home depot to fit the extra holes.
Exactly right on the plugs. I actually bought them before drilling the holes to make sure I had the right size. I even bought a few extras and a couple slightly smaller and larger just in case... which was good because the 1/2" plugs ended up working better on the rear holes for some reason.

Also worth mentioning, I ordered some aluminum paint from XTP earlier this spring to repaint my tower welds. I'm planning to use that to paint the plugs to help them blend in a little better.

kaneboats
05-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Good idea on the paint. I was thinking at least bumper chrome to make them mostly match and not stand out. I make "nickel" light fixtures for the house out of the cheesy fake looking shiny gold kind with that stuff all the time. Works great. I've even done ceiling fans with that stuff.

mmandley
05-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Nice work Dan, looks really clean. I will doing this at some point, my speakers did arrie at Exile but as of yesterday they have not finished my SXTQs yet. Still waiting patiently. LOL

I will have to repull my entire tower i think becaue my main line only goes to the front tube and i need it to reach the back tube and i really dont want a splice in my main wire.

Razzman
05-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I would look at these metal plugs (http://www.stimpson.com/roundtubingHolePlugs.htm?col6=open), use a scotchbrite pad to give them a brushed finish, a squirt of semi-gloss clear enamel to protect and go. If they don't sit flush then use a deadblow hammer to round them over the tube.

cab13367
05-10-2011, 02:41 PM

You are going to have a real hard time fishing wire from the front tube, thru the oval crosstube, and out the hole where the speaker will be mounted without that rear hole. It will become apparent when you get into it.

I took a bunch of pics when I did this last fall. Since more and more people are going with Exile tower speakers, I will do a detailed how to post tonight that should help others that want to do a wireless install.

Al

dusty2221
05-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I'll be looking for it tonight, ha, thanks.

kaneboats
05-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Al, if you post it up in the How To and then a link from this thread I'll sticky it up there. Thanks for doing this.

cab13367
05-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Al, if you post it up in the How To and then a link from this thread I'll sticky it up there. Thanks for doing this.

Done. Here is the link to a detailed procedure in the How To forum.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?p=137397#post137397

dusty2221
05-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks for doing that Al

:)

kaneboats
05-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Stuck it just now. Nice job, Al. Thanks!