PDA

View Full Version : Oil question

06outback
05-07-2011, 09:55 PM
My manual shows to run penzoil 15w-40 marine but it is not available in my town. I went to the local Tige dealer today to get oil but I was told they use Castrol 10w-40 when they change the oil. Should I run 10w-40 or get another type of 15w-40, I run rotella 15w-40 in my truck. I have an 03 with the fuel injected indamar.

mmandley
05-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I have the same issue here, when i get oil i can only get the 15w40 in Diesel type oils.

I have decided to run 10w40 Full synthetic oil.

Ultimatly the reason i think they want you to run 15w 40 is the 15 is the Cold viscosity, and when you shut the engine off it cools much faster then a car engine since its sitting below the water line and its a fresh water cooling eingine.

The 15w will give you slightly thicker oil when you first crank the engine up.

What i plan to do is when i start the engine just take it east till it warms up past 125 by then the oil will be changing to the 40w side of operation and no issues.

In my Diesel it calls for 15w40 but in the winter i run 5w40 full syntheic due to my oil being ran at 4K PSI to my injectors threw the HPOP. With 15w oil its like malasis and my injectors sound like hell, lots of clattering and now that i run 5w its much much quiter, and once the truck warms up its got the 40 weight side of the oil and its back to being what the factory reccomends.

IMO 10w40 is more then fine in the boat

FLTH2O
05-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I would use the 15 -40. More important to use proper viscosity and change at recommended interval.

Hoopskier
05-08-2011, 12:09 AM
I run Rotella 15w-40 in my boat. No problems and it has meets thet same standards. I use that because it is cheap and easily available at the local wally world. Heard that Penzoil Marine is pretty pricey in comparison.

mmandley
05-08-2011, 10:42 AM
I run Valvoline in the Claudias car and the boat.

Run Rotella T6 in the rig.

Using a slightly different viscosity wont hurt and engine or void a warrenty. If you understand the viscosity ratings and warnings. When they supply a rating to the customer they are choosing the one that fits the engine for across the span off where it will be used.

Colder climates are going to use a slightly lower viscosity on the first number due to oil being thicker when in colder climates and you would actualy use slightly higher number on the second number due to the heat.

15w40
15 is the cold thickness
40 is the hot thickness

As long as you dont put a 20 weight oil in the ngine in cold climates then you wont hurt the 15 section requirement.

Same as if you change to a 15w30 and the 30 represents your Hot viscosity because now your oil is to thin when the engine is running at temp.

Not trying to start a debate at all i just know a lot of people dont understand the different weights in oil.

You can change your weights from the factory reccomended if you understand what your changing and whats going on.

For whats it worth i do run Factory weight in Claudias car lol. 10w30 LOL but i run Semi Sythetic till she gets to 20K then full Syn. Boat got Full Syn this year and the truck runs Full Syn.

rdlangston13
05-08-2011, 11:16 AM
i run 15w-40 full syn amz oil in the boat and mobil 1 full syn in the truck. not sure what the weight requirements are on the new dodge yet tho. aint changed the oil yet

brad460
05-08-2011, 12:26 PM
As long as the oil meets your engines recommendations your fine. Regular gas auto engine oil is not sufficient for a marine engine and I would not run it.

Diesel oil meets the required specs. I found the motorcraft diesel oil, which is a semi synthetic, is reasonably priced and meets all specs. Rotella is an excellent oil too.

rdlangston13
05-08-2011, 12:54 PM
As long as the oil meets your engines recommendations your fine. Regular gas auto engine oil is not sufficient for a marine engine and I would not run it.

So what does marine engine oil do that regular car oil doesn't do? They are both normal gas engines. I just don't see why you would need a "marine" specific oil. As long as the weight is to spec for you engine. Just like someone telling me a normal car stereo deck wont work in my boat because it is not "marine". I call BS

DOCDRS
05-08-2011, 09:47 PM
I think the real item here is to make sure you have oil in your motor. It is a motor that is run under extreme conditions ,thats why a diesel oil/racing oil is recommended. As a motor wears later in its life ,then a thicker oil is sometimes used to maintain compression around the rings. Diesel oil is readily available as per Rotella so why not use it if you are having a hard time finding the recommended Penzoil. Why synthetic can't be used till after a 100 hours I am curious as to the reason? Not that I will as Rotella has served me well for 11+ years

FamilyMatters
05-08-2011, 10:12 PM
I found the Penzoil 15w40 Marine Oil (Recommended) at West Marine and they sell it online. It was $19.99 for 4 Quarts and they had individual Quarts as well. They have a West knockoff 15w40 Marine (Probably made by Penzoil) for $17.99 for 4 Quarts.

Peace
Darren

rdlangston13
05-08-2011, 10:19 PM
I found the Penzoil 15w40 Marine Oil (Recommended) at West Marine and they sell it online. It was $19.99 for 4 Quarts and they had individual Quarts as well. They have a West knockoff 15w40 Marine (Probably made by Penzoil) for $17.99 for 4 Quarts.

Peace
Darren

HA! 6 quarts or amsoil cost me just over 60 bucks! but i like the synthetic peace of mind! i ran mobil one full syn in may ranger, 172,000 mile and didnt burn a drop of oil

brad460
05-08-2011, 10:32 PM
So what does marine engine oil do that regular car oil doesn't do? They are both normal gas engines. I just don't see why you would need a "marine" specific oil. As long as the weight is to spec for you engine. Just like someone telling me a normal car stereo deck wont work in my boat because it is not "marine". I call BS

I am not trying to be a jerk, but calling BS on using the correct oil is somewhat ignorant on your part and my guess is your not an engine guy...after 12+ years of engine development experience I promise you I am not interesting in bulls**ting you because I could care less which oil you run.

Marine engine oil specs are different than gasoline auto engines specs, as are diesel engine oil specs different than gas engines specs and so on..

Without getting into to much obvious differences, the marine engine application is much different than auto applications. Hence the requirement for a heavy duty oil spec...

Think about this......How often does your auto engine hold steady 4000 or 5000+ rpms for extended periods of time??

brain_rinse
05-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Here's a good read, especially the posts by Engine Nut: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=14187

rdlangston13
05-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I am not trying to be a jerk, but calling BS on using the correct oil is somewhat ignorant on your part and my guess is your not an engine guy...after 12+ years of engine development experience I promise you I am not interesting in bulls**ting you because I could care less which oil you run.

Marine engine oil specs are different than gasoline auto engines specs, as are diesel engine oil specs different than gas engines specs and so on..

Without getting into to much obvious differences, the marine engine application is much different than auto applications. Hence the requirement for a heavy duty oil spec...

Think about this......How often does your auto engine hold steady 4000 or 5000+ rpms for extended periods of time??

You run a boat engine at higher RPM but you also change the oil WAY more frequently than in an automotive application. 50 hr oil change intervals equate to like 1500 miles in a car. So you are already replenishing the additives more frequently. I see no reason hat 15W-40 auto oil would burn up after 50 hours of use, especially full syn which in some cases is good for 15,000 miles or 500 hours equivalent.

This based on a 30 mph average speed in a car which is what i found to be the norm when I worked as a service tech for cadillac