PDA

View Full Version : House Boat Vacation

rdlangston13
05-06-2011, 07:25 PM
I am looking at possibly taking a house boat rental vacation on a lake somewhere in Arkansas for next summer. I was wondering if anyone else has done this before and what are some thing I need to know in advance. Also what lakes are best for this. The plan is to tie the LSV off to the side of the house boat and cruise the lake for a week or so. When we want to go boarding just pile in the LSV and away we go...

maxpower220
05-06-2011, 08:43 PM
My aunt and uncle have a time-share in which they used to have access to a houseboat. They got a week on Lake Eufaula in OK, which was close to me and my wife when I was stationed in OK.
The big draw back in this rental was: 1. You had to pay to take a course in order to operate the houseboat not at the dock. 2. There was a fee (daily) in order to use the houseboat, not tied up to the pier.

My aunt and uncle had little interest in paying out of their pockets on top of the "points" or whatever system they used on timeshares. Plus they are older and don't have any boating experience.

Make sure that your fees INCLUDE everything, check out the gas situation also.

rdlangston13
05-06-2011, 09:33 PM
it states that you will be given a check out cruise to get you aquainted with the boat but nothing else is required. and gasoline is not included. i figure it has 4 rooms, 2 people per room, split this 8 ways and it should be fairly reasonable

gonracn
05-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Every Summer!!! Best trips ever!!! Check out Bull Shoals. it is the cheapest in Ark and that lake is nice and not used !!

dusty2221
05-07-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm sure kg will chime in when he sees this. I know he researched it extensively, and can shed some light on what he found as the best deals.

moombadaze
05-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Only advise I have is dont tie the LSV off to the side while the houseboat is underway. My parents did that way back when and for some reason the bow rope came undeone and the boat was at a 90 angle with the stern hitting the houseboat as we motored along. You want to tow the LSV behind by about 50-75 feet back. If its rough out have someone drive the LSV to prevent it from swamping-couple waves over the bow and then it happens fast.

Best summer vacation I remember growing up was the 2 housboating trips. Hopefully I can get to do one soon with some friends

rdlangston13
05-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Every Summer!!! Best trips ever!!! Check out Bull Shoals. it is the cheapest in Ark and that lake is nice and not used !!

Yeah Bull Shoals is where I was looking at.

here is the website i was checking into

http://www.bullshoalslakeboatdock.com/

Thanks to moombadaze for the input on NOT tying the boat off to the side, i reckon my tubing rope rated for 4 people could pull the boat at slow speeds with no problem huh?

bhowell
05-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Check out Lake Powell on the Arizona/Utah border. It's sic.

Here are some pics.

bhowell
05-07-2011, 10:10 AM
More pics.

The lake is huge and really deep (like 200 feet). You can be floating 10 feet from a cliff and it be over 100 ft deep. You find a cove and beach your houseboat and you're set. This trip was a blast even though we were with my friends parents.

rdlangston13
05-07-2011, 10:34 AM
ok so lake powell would be totally awesome buuuuut its like over twice as far and the boats rentals are over twice as expensive. im not rich lol. its hard enough to get 500 a person before food a fuel for an arkansas trip, much less 1500 a person...

bhowell
05-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I was fortunate to be a guest on that trip. It's expensive cause it's close to Cali. There is no doubt that the lake is sic though.

Moseley618
05-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Bull Shoals is awesome. When is your trip? The reason I ask is that Bull Shoals is 40' above its normal pool right now. It will be awhile before boating will be optimal, too much junk in the water. Depends on how much rain we get but should be ok middle of June. Brostock is there this year again also.

http://www.liquidforce.com/brostock11-info.html

Hootreville
05-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Taking the fam out to Powell June 10th. Can't wait!!!! I will let ya know if I encounter any problems and throw some pics up when I return.

bhowell
05-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Taking the fam out to Powell June 10th. Can't wait!!!! I will let ya know if I encounter any problems and throw some pics up when I return.

Sweet dude! Which marina you launching from? Definitely want to see the pics.

sandm
05-07-2011, 12:36 PM
powell would be sick as well, but it's way too expensive. even some of the smaller lakes like mojave are getting outrageously priced.

rdlangston13
05-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Bull Shoals is awesome. When is your trip? The reason I ask is that Bull Shoals is 40' above its normal pool right now. It will be awhile before boating will be optimal, too much junk in the water. Depends on how much rain we get but should be ok middle of June. Brostock is there this year again also.

http://www.liquidforce.com/brostock11-info.html

it wont be till like summer of 2013 lol. im doing alot of advanced planning. maybe summer of 2012 if i can do some hard core convincing

moombadaze
05-07-2011, 12:50 PM
shooting for 2012 myself

rdlangston13
05-07-2011, 01:03 PM
which lake are you planning to go to??

bzubke1
05-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Check out broken bow lake in ok. Beavers bend marina has houseboat rentals.

moombadaze
05-07-2011, 07:20 PM
which lake are you planning to go to??

if this was directed at me, thinking about cumberland or dale hollow

rdlangston13
05-07-2011, 08:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhgcy44xa0g

here is a sweet video of bull shoals. just pretend the natiques are moombas!

james yarosz
05-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Moombadaze,I,ve been to both.Dale Hollow is a lot cleaner and a lot quieter.

Hootreville
05-08-2011, 01:41 PM
I am leaving from Waheap June 13th. We planned our trip with two other families a year in advance. If you reserve your houseboat before Jan I believe you get some good discounts on house boat rentals. Can't wait!!!!!

evoimport6
05-08-2011, 08:24 PM
We are doing Norris lake this July. I thought the prices were very good 2400 in prime season for the weekend.
We did lake Cumberland last year and it was that much at the very end of last season like September 20.

rdlangston13
05-08-2011, 10:31 PM
the place we are looking at on bull shoals is like 3800 for a week during the mid season. i figure we can have 8 people and it should be under 1000 a piece after fuel and food

KG's Supra24
05-09-2011, 12:22 AM
I would highly recommend either Bull Shoals or Lake Ouachita. Both are great. Bull Shoals is more secluded but Ouachita is far from crowded. You can find glass on the weekend at either.

I have pics from both places and can post them later.

I have a pretty extensive spreadsheet that has a breakdown comparison on all the houseboats on Ouachita. Compares features, beds, etc as well as the prices per person break down. Send me a PM and I will get it to you.

I think you will find nicer houseboats on Ouachita from what I saw at Bull Shoals.

I would pick Ouachita because there is a little more on the lake. I know you will cook alot of meals but there are 3 resorts with restaurants and a subway on the water. Big Lake Boat Dock didn't even have running water at the marina. I pee'd in a hole in the ground. It is possible you could get on Bull Shoals and not see a boat all week.

sailing217
05-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Did Norris Lake (out of Shanghai), and Cumberland (out of State Dock).

Norris is quiet and what you make it. Very few houseboats. Prices a bit better.

Cumberland had more of a party scene, more wide open, more gas.

When we went to Cumberland, it was a dry county and we ran out of beer so some of the guys did a road trip to Tenn boarder that took 35min one way. Bring Plenty of Beer!

Hindsight, better off renting a house or floating house at Norris. Hardly any homes on Cumberland have docks which sux. Dale Hallow I hear is the best water of the 3, but also the quietest if that's what you want.

rdlangston13
05-09-2011, 10:17 AM

how long do yall go for every year and how much fuel do you burn on the house boat while youre out?

moombadaze
05-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Norris is quiet and what you make it. Very few houseboats. Prices a bit better.

Cumberland had more of a party scene, more wide open, more gas.

sounds like Norris is more my style

KG's Supra24
05-09-2011, 10:38 AM
When i looked into it, I just planned on getting a keg or two or three. It will make life much more simple.

RD, got your PM, let me track down my spreadsheet and get it sent your way.

sailing217
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Gas: it's all about running the generator.

Norris: 6mile rt commute with Genny on fulltime was $280 in gas.
Cumberland: bout 28 miles of driving, Genny on fulltime: $640 in gas.

If Norris, there's a great cove next to jump bridge to be by yourself and tie up. I do recommend house rentals on www.vbro.com

rdlangston13
05-09-2011, 10:49 AM
When i looked into it, I just planned on getting a keg or two or three. It will make life much more simple.

now there is an idea!

KG's Supra24
05-12-2011, 10:52 AM
RD, any luck with the spreadsheet?