PDA

View Full Version : Happy & Safe Cinco de Mayo!

kaneboats
05-05-2011, 01:18 PM
To all who celebrate this holiday including folks like me who have a neighbor whose wife, well, ex-wife now, is of Mexican heritage: Have a wonderful, fun and safe Cinco de Mayo celebration. Putting on the Mariachi music channel (876 on DirecTV) in a little while here to go with the theme. My cousin will be in town so we are going to have a little celebration for her and take her wakesurfing on Sat.

A little background on Cinco De Mayo courtesy of Wikipedia (now you can show off for your friends as you down a cerveza):

Cinco de Mayo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Cinco de mayo)
. . .
Not to be confused with Mexican Independence Day, which occurs on September 16.
. . .
Cinco de Mayo
Battle of Puebla
Observed by

US Americans, mixed nationality;
citizens of Puebla, Puebla
Type multinational
Date May 5, 1862
Observances

Celebration in the United States of Mexican-American culture and experiences. Only somewhat celebrated in Mexico.
Food, music, folkloric dancing

Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a holiday held on May 5. It is celebrated nationwide in the United States and regionally in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla.[1][2][3][4] The date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride,[5] and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War.[6] In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.[7][8] Contrary to widespread popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day,[9][10] the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico, which occurs on September 16th.
. . .

wikipedia.org (footnotes omitted)

dusty2221
05-05-2011, 01:31 PM
I have jalepenos on the sammich I'm eating right now. I know, I get wild.

rdlangston13
05-05-2011, 01:49 PM
All of you on land, have a shot of tequila for us offshore folks!

kaneboats
05-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Will do. Need to know exactly how many of you there are though (hiccup).

sandm
05-05-2011, 02:07 PM
we just finished a great luncheon at work provided by the hispanic folks that work here. marinated carne asada, rice, tamales, salsa and some dessert, all homemade.

very tasty.

think I'll go home now and have some coronas.

newty
05-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Will do. Need to know exactly how many of you there are though (hiccup).

I got your back! What ever you miss I'll get!:p

rdlangston13
05-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I think out here on the Jim Day our POB (personnel on board) is at about 125! Get a DD!

mmandley
05-06-2011, 09:02 AM
HAHA We celebrated it by working lol. We did our normal happy Cinco and went to work. When we have the time off we tend to be a little more festive and such but then again i get Mexican food when ever i want.

Claudia appreciated her day.