PDA

View Full Version : clanking hitch

moombadaze
05-04-2011, 08:15 AM
When I tow my little fishing boat (14' jonboat) the hitch makes more noise from clanking around than any other boat i have towed-I use the same hitch for the Moomba and its quite, but it has lots more tounge weight. I can't really move the jon boat farther forwards and allready have 2 batterys up front. What can I do to quite the hitch itself down?

thanks

kaneboats
05-04-2011, 08:17 AM
I pull my hitch out of the receiver and wrap it with electrical tape then jam it back in there. It doesn't move for about a year-- I do it again pretty much each season.

moombadaze
05-04-2011, 08:37 AM
well thats simple-thanks

kaneboats
05-04-2011, 08:54 AM
No prob. The key is to not overdo it. Put a couple wraps on and then poke it in there. If it goes in easy put a couple more on. When it gets tight, smack it with a rubber hammer to get it all the way in. (I'm talking about the hitch, guys.) Oh, yea, don't wrap the pin hole or you'll be sorry. And start wrapping 1/2" forward from where the hitch shows so no tape shows outside the receiver. That's all I got.

Razzman
05-04-2011, 09:26 AM
I get a lot with anything I tow. Just ordered a Softride. Quiet Ride ball mount, problem completely solved.

kaneboats
05-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Yea, but my fix costs about 11 cents.

moombadaze
05-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I like 11 cent repairs

rdlangston13
05-04-2011, 10:17 AM
My ball mount is suck a tight fit in the receive that when i put it in for the first time i like to have never got it back out! I had to peel off the sticker/label that came on it so i could get it in and out and it is still a tight fit.

mmandley
05-04-2011, 10:31 AM
RD maybe your dodge has never been made to tow? LOL
Get a long file and run it inside the receiver and then do the same on the shank and it will slide better.

On the F150 i got a little noise when towing.

With the F350 my hitch gear weighs a solid 80lbs maybe even slightly more. I know its a real PITA lifting it up and sliding it in before i hook up a trailer. I never get any noise out of it.

Stacy for the Jon boat it might just be the fact its such a light boat that its actually banging around on the ball and there's nothing you can do for that.

moombadaze
05-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Stacy for the Jon boat it might just be the fact its such a light boat that its actually banging around on the ball and there's nothing you can do for that.

I thought about that too and have the nut pretty tight-when I lift by hand it doesnt feel like its loose.

kaneboats
05-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Can't imagine it's not a 2" ball but you could check that too.

mmandley
05-04-2011, 11:20 AM
I thought about that too and have the nut pretty tight-when I lift by hand it doesnt feel like its loose.

Could try an experiment grease the ball and try it. If its quite you know why its banging around lol.

Id expect it to be a 2inch because the smaller ball is 1 7/8 and the coupler wouldn't fit over a 2inch

rdlangston13
05-04-2011, 11:25 AM
RD maybe your dodge has never been made to tow? LOL
Get a long file and run it inside the receiver and then do the same on the shank and it will slide better.

well that hitch is brand new so it might open up some once i use it more. and its the weird off ball 2.5" receiver

moombadaze
05-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Can't imagine it's not a 2" ball but you could check that too.

2" Ball, 2" coupler

11 Outback V
05-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Try putting a rag over the ball before you attach the trailer

moombadaze
05-04-2011, 01:08 PM
good ideas, it may be a couple weeks till I can try any of them out. Time is hard to come by for even simple things. Its summer, the water is warming up-time to surf and if not surfing I want to go fishing-hate working on stuff like that too.

Ian Brantford
05-04-2011, 06:15 PM
If you are eager to overpay for a simple solution...

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Roadmaster/RM-061.html

mmandley
05-04-2011, 07:41 PM

HAHAHA that's pretty dam funny. A U bolt that's basically holding the tongue weight. So whats first to break? The U bolt or the flange on your hitch its self?

DOCDRS
05-04-2011, 10:34 PM

I like the tape. Tape your hitch, tape your ball , tape whatever it takes, then tape it again when it gets noisy! Just tape it shut. If I spell tape one more time i'm thinkin maybe I spelt it wrong as it looks dang funny

Ian Brantford
05-05-2011, 12:56 AM
HAHAHA that's pretty dam funny. A U bolt that's basically holding the tongue weight. So whats first to break? The U bolt or the flange on your hitch its self?

It does look stupid and wrong. I think that they had it upside-down for the catalogue shot. There is no reason not to mount it so that it's holding the ball mount DOWN, not up.

kaneboats
05-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Ha, that's exactly what I thought! Why not tie it down instead of up?

tnbrooks01
05-05-2011, 09:27 PM
It has been my experience that you will get lots of noise at the hitch when you are not towing the trailer at the proper angle.

For example both trailers use the same size ball but I use a 3" drop hitch to tow my boat, but use a 6" drop hitch to tow a utility trailer for my lawnmowers. If I try to tow the utility trailer with the 3" drop it the nose of the trailer is higher and it sounds like the entire receiver/hitch could fall off at any minute.

just an observation....