PDA

View Full Version : Steering cable for 2001 Mobius

pecanflyboy
05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
My steering has become stiff on my direct drive 2001 Mobius. From what I've read this is a common problem, which requires the replacement of the steering cable.

My first problem is finding the correct Teleflex rack and pinion cable to purchase. Anyone have a part number? Link to a cross reference list?

My second problem is getting to the rudder. It looks like I will have to remove the tank to get to it. Can anyone tell me what they had to do to replace this cable on a direct drive.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Todd_Droz
05-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Jimmy - I have the '03 DD Mobius and am replacing my cable as well. The part number for the cable that is in there is SSC13418 (its an 18ft cable). However, I have found for a little more, you can get the upgraded SSC15418 which removes some of the play you get in the wheel.

I ordered mine from First Choice Marine which had free shipping:

http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=ssc15418

Removing the tank was as simple as removing the top hoses then at least leaning the tank on the side of the boat so you don't have to remove the pump. You will have to lay on your belly to reach to the back of the boat where it connects to the rudder (mine was a 1/2" nut attached to a 9/16" bolt at the rudder)

Hope this helps!

bergermaister
05-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I put in a new cable on my 2001 a few years ago, mind you it's a v-drive. I'd suggest pulling your old cable, at least partially out or off of the helm and getting the part number right off of it. It should be stamped into the black casing, maybe even highlighted with white.

No fun to order, wait, think you've got the right one only to find out at installation time that it's too short, or too long and would have to be all bound up to fit. Or has the wrong helm style connection. Good luck man.

bnovick003
05-06-2011, 07:40 PM
I was able to get the correct p/n for cable by calling skiers choice. Took over an hour to remove the nut and bolt connecting to rudder. Cannot remove the approx 1" nut on the steering cable that connects to the sleeve? Tried removing the clamp holding the sleeve and its crazy to get your hands in to remove the 4 bolts holding the clamp on?? Really not sure what to do next?

bergermaister
05-06-2011, 07:51 PM
It's tight in there for sure but that's about the only way you'll get it off. Maybe let it soak in some Wd-40 overnight or attempt a little heat on it with a heat gun (not a torch!).

Here's few shots if they help at all of mine during assembly and the cable end you are working with...

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=135&pictureid=1035

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=135&pictureid=1032

Sometimes seeing it already apart helps to know how to get yours there.

bergermaister
05-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Another thought, you could maybe try a wrench like this if you can find one big enough. Can get a little more leverage depending on your space.

http://www.etoolcart.com/productimages/handtools/skt/SKT-42365.jpg

I used to use one like that for hard to reach header bolts on a small block chevy...

bnovick003
05-07-2011, 08:27 AM
I was thinking WD40, but the wrench pic was great. I remember my Dad using something like that but couldn't remember. Let's hope today goes better!

bnovick003
05-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Got'er done! Only took 5 hours! I also replaced the starter while I was in there. Thanks for all your assistance.

Regards,

Bill

pecanflyboy
05-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Jimmy - I have the '03 DD Mobius and am replacing my cable as well. The part number for the cable that is in there is SSC13418 (its an 18ft cable). However, I have found for a little more, you can get the upgraded SSC15418 which removes some of the play you get in the wheel.

I've looked all over the cable near the helm, and now have removed the tank and the floor to see the cable near the rudder. I cannot see any part numbers on the cable.

The teleflex representative told me to measure the black plastic, add 30", and then round up to the next foot. That works out to a 19' cable.

The SSC134 is the original RACK cable. For a little more you can upgrade to the SSC154, which is what I will do.

I will try to call Skiers Choice tomorrow to see if they can give me the part number, before I order.

J

pecanflyboy
05-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Here is what I've figured out.
1. The Skiers Choice MPN is 106284, used on many years and models. There
is not a cross reference to Teleflex.
2. This is an 18' steering cable
3. Teleflex has two cables that can be used:
a. The Rack, part # SSC13518 (the last two numbers designate how
many feet in length). This is the older cable.
b. HPS TFXtreme, part # SSC15418 is the newer cable now being
supplied to all ski boat manufactures. It gives you less play in the
steering, and is a more durable set up. Cost is about $30 -$50 more
than the SSC.

J

pecanflyboy
05-29-2011, 08:09 PM
I wanted to follow up with some additional information.

I ordered an 18" SSC15418 cable. Based on the Teleflex formula for measuring the plastic and adding 30", I should have expecte the cable to be 18'10". Guess what, when I removed the old cable it was exactly 10" longer than the new 18' cable I had in hand. Fortunately, I had enough slack to make the 18' cable work. I HIGHLY recommend getting the 19' cable, and/or using the Teleflex formula to figure out the length.

The new cable turns like butter with no slack. I have a new problem. When I go full power, I get a "rattle" transmitted up the cable all the way to the steering column. Everything is tight. It's either in the clamp block or the U-shaped fitting that wraps around the bolt on the rudder arm. I've got a little slack in both of them. Anyone else have this problem?

Jimmy

bergermaister
05-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Full power going straight or full power in a turn with a lot of pressure on the rudder?

pecanflyboy
05-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Full power going straight or full power in a turn with a lot of pressure on the rudder?

Typically at full power going straight, when the rudder is unloaded. But, it can be in a turn as well. It is not consistent, as if the drive shaft is bent. I can reach under the dash and feel the cable transmitting the "rattle" to the helm. I get the impression that when there is a lot of turbulence against the rudder, something in the steering system is worn and has too much play in it, causing the vibration.

When I checked to make sure everything was tight, it seems that the clamp block might move against it's stop and create the same "rattle?" I'm not familiar with how much play is allowed in that system.

pecanflyboy
05-30-2011, 06:28 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=1712

I've taken the rudder chatter/vibration issue to this thread.