PDA

View Full Version : Cheat Lake WV, anyone?!

BadbluSi
05-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Any of you guys on here boat on Cheat Lake here in Morgantown? I just bought my Supra last summer and wasn't sure if anyone was close?! Always cool to meet up with people with similar interests!

BadbluSi
05-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Ed I've only lived here for 2 years and this is my first boat. I've heard rumors that there are houses at the bottom of Cheat as it is damned at both ends and uses the cheat river as it's water source!! Haha wondered if you could confirm or deny since you mentioned scuba!

deerfield
05-03-2011, 01:26 PM
BadbluSi - We launched from the marina ramp just south of Interstate 68 and traveled down river as far as navigable. Found great water for boarding and skiing. Flat and little other boat traffic. We live in the Chicago area and trailered the boat for a visit with my sister who lives in Fairmont. Everyone had a great time. - Deerfield

BadbluSi
05-03-2011, 05:04 PM
I know exactly where you mean! Right over by the Whiporwill bar!

gus 08 mobius lsv
05-03-2011, 06:23 PM
i'm about 3hours away from morgantown and always looking for sunday trips to different lakes might have to check the place out!

ptcbtchr
05-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Went to pharmacy school in Morgantown. Back then I could only dream of owning a boat. It's a great lake, when we lived in Pittsburgh lot's of boaters went there for vacations. It's a great lake!

Go Mountaineers!!!

WVU School of Pharmacy 1988

Mark

BadbluSi
05-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Will have to agree with Ed, one of the first things I noticed when I moved here was the color of the lake! One of the more blue green colored lakes I've ever been in! Although right now with all the rain and runoff, it's a bit brown!! Still good times.

BadbluSi
05-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Maybe we can try and set up a mini meet around that time?! I've never surfed before, would love to try it!

sailing217
05-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Grew up in Bethel Park. Weekly trips to Yough, Cheat, Deep Creek. All great water. Our long trips are now down to Norris TN, Cumberland KY, Dale Hallow where the water can be even a clearer emerald green. Cheat was great. I saw it in the winter after a drought 2 years ago and there were no remains of houses that you could see, over the I think 68 bridge?

Would like to tow there but between gas prices and much easier to find wateredge house rentals at Deep Creek, not sure this year. Wonder if Maryland outlawed ballast devices like they were saying?

deerfield
05-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Pics from Cheat Lake (south end of the river) 2007.

BadbluSi
05-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Ed that's it for sure, but it's also getting dark so you really can't see how blue green the water is. And Deerfield, that last pic you posted of the cabin I do believe is actually the guest house!! The main house is close to 5k square feet!! Been by there more than a few times.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Pics from Cheat Lake (south end of the river) 2007.

Now that is a lake. Man, I need to get out to different lakes more. I do not get to see those kinds of serene scenes on my lake.

ptcbtchr
05-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Last lived in Shaler township. Miss the city , not the taxes or the weather.

Mark

wolfeman131
05-05-2011, 07:31 AM
I do not get to see those kinds of serene scenes on my lake.

No, not a lot of serene scenes on Lanier, but plenty of other scenes - some of them a little much for the kiddos!

moombadaze
05-05-2011, 07:36 AM
watch out for that cocktail cove on Lanier-you'll get a show for sure

sailing217
05-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Cocktail Cove: I've seen pics and I think it's an urban ledgend...legendary for sure.

Ed: spoke with you a few years ago on this site, you hooked me up with the Danny's hoagies recipe which is awesome by the way. I'm now related to the Lester brothers who probably graduated BP in the 70's. Grew up in the 'Dog Streets' near Simmons park.

PGH: taxes, traffic, and weather are crap. I will eventually be in the South and can still watch the Steelers on the beach in January; that's the plan at least.

kaneboats
05-05-2011, 09:46 AM
With DirecTV and high speed internet you can live anywhere now.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
No, not a lot of serene scenes on Lanier, but plenty of other scenes - some of them a little much for the kiddos!

LOL, Your not kidding. :cool:

WaterBullDawg1980
05-05-2011, 11:33 AM
watch out for that cocktail cove on Lanier-you'll get a show for sure

There is a new cove now called "Sunset Cove". Its by Lake Lanier Water Park. They built this huge outdoor bar and restaurant (that actually has decent food by the way) with a bunch of slips so boats can pull up.

Cocktail Cove is still around, but the crowd is a lot less than in years past. Still the same houseboat fun going on in both spots though. :eek:

BadbluSi
05-05-2011, 12:33 PM
I'll look and see if I have any shenanigans pics from last year back in "Party Cove" hear on Cheat!! Amazing how every lake has "that" cove!!

wolfeman131
05-05-2011, 01:02 PM
just don't post anything that will get you banned!

send those to my private email :)

deerfield
05-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

rdlangston13
05-05-2011, 06:38 PM

my g/f has a my private email password...let me make a new gmail account real quick