PDA

View Full Version : Placed Fat order at Wakemakers finally!

bergermaister
05-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Finally pulled the trigger and placed my big order with WakeMakers this morning. I finished gutting the old this weekend and am ready to bring on the new.

Since they're local I hope to be starting the remaining install later this week!

Will be running a 750 bag in the basement with stock Rule to fill and T-1200 to drain.
1100 sacs on both sides in the rear, each filling with it's own T-1200 and draining with it's own T-1200.
All 1" hose for fill/drain/venting and new stainless thru hulls. Vented loops, check valves and no sprinkler parts. New switches and soon to be custom made plate to control it all.

I can't really fit an Integrated Bow Sack under my playpen very well so I'm planning to keep my Fly High 400 twins and fill them with a handheld Tsunami - throw them around as needed.

Can't wait to get started - I'm stoked!!!! :D

PS - love that forum disount, saved a chunk of change! And thanks to Newty for helping to finish planning it out.

newty
05-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Thats going to be a great set-up. I see you went with the loops?

bergermaister
05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah, found some on eBay and pricing ended up like buy 2, get one free in comparison to WM...

Just hope I can get them mounted high enough for them to do their job!

I'll probably have a couple of those little Rule drain pumps for sale real cheap soon - I have no idea what their flow is rated at...

New Guy
05-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Vented loops, My question is why don't people fill from the top of the bag to prevent drain back?

newty
05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Its not a height issue its a siphon issue. You get enough pressure and a sealed system it will fill. Especially when the bag is empty.

bergermaister
05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm planning to fill from the top, but all research I've done has suggested the vented loops either help or are flat out needed to prevent the unwanted fill or drain back through the fill pump when not operating and bags are full. Removes the siphon effect.

mmandley
05-02-2011, 05:12 PM
I'll probably have a couple of those little Rule drain pumps for sale real cheap soon - I have no idea what their flow is rated at...

If i recall it was 700 because i bought a bunch of new pumps when i was going to rebuild the system last year and those were 800 pumps. I then didnt see the point to take out the 700 to replace it with 800 LOL.

Now i got several 800 pumps left and haven't decided what to do with them yet.

jmvotto
05-02-2011, 09:32 PM
yep, those are 700's. i just bought two new ones from my dealer.

bergermaister
05-03-2011, 12:17 AM
I suppose I could have reused them in my setup but they seem so bloody slow compare to a T-1200. I'm fairly patient but my thinking was if I get into trouble with a ton of ballast loaded up I want to drain as fast as possible so I can get the hell outta there.

I've had nightmares about having the front loaded way down ( think IBS ) and taking a big roller over the bow. In the dream I throttle up to try to raise the nose but instead it dives deeper since I've got so much weight in the front.

I know, probably sounds like total paranoia but that vision has crossed my mind a few times...

The other thing in the back of my mind is if I had my 400's just sitting there at least I could push them overboard if needed and (hopefully) circle back for them later!

New Guy
05-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Haha Berg I am sure if you take that much water over the nose you aren't going to worry about your sacks.

newty
05-03-2011, 11:42 AM
I've got 1k in the bow and I've taken a couple really good rollers.
Berg with the way your hull is under the cushions the water will go right to the bottom and pump out.
Mine likes to run right through the walk-way and leak under my seats soaking everything in my battery/storage compartment.

You're going to have to be a little more proactive when other boats are around and make sure you approach the waves right. You'll be fine. Make sure you have good insurance. ;)

bergermaister
05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Like I said man, paranoia....

In my early 20's me and a couple buddies buried the nose of my little tri-hull (the ugly duckling from the How Many Boats thread) in a huge roller and took easily a foot or more of water straight over the nose. Knocked my buddy over, cooler flew (floated?) out the back of the boat, couple life jackets and a towel got thrown out and we suddenly were sitting really low in the water. Tried to throttle up to keep the engine running and get the nose up and the little 4-cyl just bogged.

Scary for a minute until we realized we were fine and started laughing over it. Except for losing the beer out of the cooler...

mmandley
05-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Hey Berg i had the exact same dreams last year before we got on the water when we installed out 1K up front too.

The big thing is you have to have the rear filled before the front or the nose will be super low LOL. Even with the rear 750 full and the 1000 up front i still throw another 200 lbs guy up there to ride. The nose is low but its just menage your throttle when you slow down and always turn away from the weighted side.

I have taking some gnarly rollers, Claudia hit one so big it soaked the Z5 all i saw was a wave of water coming over the windshield. Had 2inchs of standing water in the cabin and in about 2 minutes it was gone from the bilge pump.

I took a couple over the nose that looked pretty bad but never had anything that made the boat act different or made me thing we are going to sink LOL.

mmandley
05-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Like I said man, paranoia....

Scary for a minute until we realized we were fine and started laughing over it. Except for losing the beer out of the cooler...

Completely unacceptable. Dammit man get a zipper top cooler or put a latch on it. Something like requires at least a 2 beer calm down period LOL.

moombadaze
05-03-2011, 12:25 PM
. Except for losing the beer out of the cooler...

now that is just wrong!

Its a boat that gets wet-sometimes real fast-lol. Had a few rollers myself but it helps cool the carpet off :)

kaneboats
05-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Never understood why folks don't dive down and retrieve their beer. I've been a beer diver since I was 14. I was on a camping trip with the Ecology Club at school and it was the day of the 11 mile canoe run. About a half mile into the run I spotted a 5 pack of beer sitting on the bottom (this was in one of the natural spring fed creeks in north central FL). Apparently somebody had pulled one off the six pack thingy and dropped the other 5 overboard. Needless to say we had the most fun canoe ride of anyone on the trip.

newty
05-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Must be a water density thing because beers float in our water.
you drop a beer and give it 10 seconds or so and will float to the top.

Maybe thats why they call it "light beer".

bergermaister
05-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Cans - maybe. Bottles - sinkers!

When I lost those out of the cooler we were just entering the shipping channel of the Columbia river in probably 40-50ft of water. Good luck diving for those! but at least we were on our way back to the launch.

kaneboats
05-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Hmm. This would have been 30 years ago-- ugghh-- can't believe it. The fiver was sitting right on the bottom. Wonder what the cans were made of back then. Wonder what the beer was made of.

New Guy
05-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Steel cans vs Aluminum would be my bet Kane, Although 30yrs ago I was just a twinkle in my parents eyes:p

kaneboats
05-03-2011, 02:45 PM
That's funny as I was already a pain in their a$$e$.

STANG KILLA SS
05-11-2011, 11:55 AM
how do you get this "forum discount"?

dusty2221
05-11-2011, 12:01 PM
MOOMBAOWNERS is the code

bergermaister
05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm only a few hours into install and I gotta say, 1" is a pain in the ass to work with! Especially if you're working in really tight quarters which most of us are. The improved flow over 3/4" sure as hell better be worth it because I don't have a single knuckle that isn't ripped open and have scrapes and bruises to both elbows.

The 1" vented loops are HUGE compared to the 3/4" variety. Had to change up my plans a little because I can't find a good place for them to all fit and be at least party hidden. Everything is just bigger and makes for a tighter fit everywhere.

The 1" premium ballast hose is so stiff I'm fighting with it to get it over most of the fittings (hence half the busted knuckles). To much heat gun just melts it or deforms it. A little lube helps but still a battle.

Slow progress... I can see I will be fighting this install every step of the way.

newty
05-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Bloody knuckles builds character... oh and calluses.

It'll all be worth it in a month or too.

sailing217
05-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Good to know. Tape knuckles.

I too have a box of ballast waiting for me: 1" T, johnson ultra reverse pump, 1" lines, 1" throughhull for my vent line (not doing vented loops). I'm scared about drilling a hole in my boat. Gonna measure a dozen times and hey it's only the side of the boat, couldn't bring myself to add another to the bottom.

Now to find the time to have the boat ripped apart for a few days....

bergermaister
05-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Bloody knuckles builds character... oh and calluses.
It'll all be worth it in a month or too.

Yeah, just keep reminding me that until it's done...

The other catch is finding time to do it! I had to play hookey from work yesterday to get started with plumbing and mounting. Four trips to Lowes to get a few overlooked fittings and the right hole saws and I still don't have the right one dammit. I don't know how the other guys out there are getting all these radical ballast and stereo mods done. Seems like there's always something with kids or activities competing for time or it's freakin pouring down rain and I don't feel like turning the side yard between the boat and the garage into a mud bath.

mmandley
05-12-2011, 09:05 AM
I hear ya Berg, i dont have the kid distractions but i got plenty of others and then it starts raining and i just dont feel like going out and doing anything LOL.

As for the tools to do the job sometimes you gotta make what ya got work lol.

Doing mods always takes me 2x to 3x as long as i expect and i have yet to spend a day working on the boat and not be sore someplace the next day. Eighter arms, elbos, knees, back, hands LOL

moombadaze
05-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Doing mods always takes me 2x to 3x as long as i expect

good to hear, always thought there was a problem with 15 minute things taking a hour and a half ;)

kaneboats
05-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Duh! Fellas, that's why beer comes in a 24 pk.

newty
05-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Duh! Fellas, that's why beer comes in a 24 pk.

Shoot! thats it always takes longer!:p

It must be the 2-6 trips (depending on severity of the mod) to the garage fridge every hour! And then every day and a half a trip to the store.

kaneboats
05-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I've tried to explain to my wife why it would be so much more efficient to just have a keg on tap at all times. She doesn't understand the logic. She says I'm plenty efficient with that part of it already-- whatever that means.