PDA

View Full Version : Tower Sway

dusty2221
05-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Quick question, any of you guys notice the tower swaying side to side? The 24 is still new to me, but I don't recall having the sway on our 20ssv. I know having 4 HLCD's up top in the Roswell might cause a little more than when it just had the Co-ax speakers in it since the HLCD are so heavy, but that's so common I don't think it would be an issue.

I have had the tower completely loose so I could replace the feet pads since the factory ones had walked out. I'm wondering, can anyone advice a tightening method, or maybe a torque limit? It feels to me like it is tight enough, but I'm really not liking the amount of sway it has.

Any insight here?

mmandley
05-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Sway is a matter of how much you see vs how much i see.

If the bolts are tight then theres nothing you can do. As for torque limits idk. Have to call a dealer or XTP towers and see what they say. Email Corey.

As for sway i get sway in mine not its not a ton, with the boards i get more then with out of course but its all considered normal from what i have seen. If its enough to make you worry then try to measure how much sway you get.

Take a tape measure and have someone drive the boat, then hold it up and see how much side to side motion you get then we have a baseline how how bad your is swaying.

I can say ruff water, windy conditions and a tower full of board is going to sway, thats a lot of stress and weight but then again put a wake boarder on the line and watch it move.

dusty2221
05-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Right, I've considered all that, I just wanted mainly to make sure there wasn't a "proper order" for re-tightening the tower down. Sway is subjective, like you said, it just seems right now I am experiencing more than what I thought was normal.

mmandley
05-02-2011, 12:00 PM
I hear ya bro. Sway makes me nervous too and i just normally slow down even though i hate to LOL.

I have had the dealer tighten my tower mounts a few times and they never told me the torque or if there is a torque. Tight as you can is what i think they said LOL.

sandm
05-02-2011, 12:06 PM
my 20 has sway in it as well. moreso when the tower is loaded up with boards than empty.

rdlangston13
05-02-2011, 01:38 PM
ive noticed sway in my tower when i trailer the boar at around 35 mph, but once you hit 40ish it goes away. never noticed it on the water