PDA

View Full Version : Texas Live Lake Level Data

rdlangston13
04-30-2011, 09:55 PM
After reading about STANGKILLA SS's bad day I was inspired to look up something to help us Texas folks find out how much water was in our favorite riding locations. Since we are under a HUGE drought in central and south east Texas this information is very important to know!

Here is a website that has the level of the water as well as the percentage full of that lake. Hope this is helpful to all other Texans! and one more thing...PRAY FOR RAIN!!!

http://wiid.twdb.state.tx.us/ims/resinfo/BushButton/lakeStatus.asp

skylar18
04-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Ugly here in Austin.......Lake Travis is 22 feet below full before the hot part of the year, and before they take 20 feet out for irrigation.

rdlangston13
04-30-2011, 11:24 PM
if they took 20 feet out of somerville it would be completely empty. we are 4 feet low now and it is pretty much unusable. looks like ill be going to conroe or livingston for the rest of the summer. bethy creek here i come!

and just think skylar, you wanted us to have the Texas Moomba Owners Jam in Travis...good thing we are going with Bethy Creek! it is at 100% capacity!

Razzman
05-01-2011, 12:22 AM
22 feet ain't nuthin! :p We just came off of a five year drought on the west coast. ALL our lakes were 60-80% down which in west coast terms means anywhere from 60-120+ feet down. Now we have so much water all the dams have the floodgates wide open! My favorite lake was down to 18% of capacity last year, we didn't even use it. Now it's at 135%, go figure. Oh yeah, the snowpack has barely started melting yet!

Hope you guys get some water soon, been there!

skylar18
05-01-2011, 12:54 AM
When I suggested Lake Travis for the Jam, never thought we would go six months and counting without a drop of rain!

zabooda
05-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Never a water problem here as any water west of the continental divide from the Canadian Rockies to the Grand Tetons through here. We have natural drought with everything irrigated but no natural disasters like flooding, hurricanes, earthquales or tornados but we did have volcano ash in 1980 though.

rdlangston13
05-01-2011, 09:28 AM
22 feet ain't nuthin! :p We just came off of a five year drought on the west coast. ALL our lakes were 60-80% down which in west coast terms means anywhere from 60-120+ feet down. Now we have so much water all the dams have the floodgates wide open! My favorite lake was down to 18% of capacity last year, we didn't even use it. Now it's at 135%, go figure. Oh yeah, the snowpack has barely started melting yet!

Hope you guys get some water soon, been there!

22 feet is alot when your lake is only 23 feet deep!!!
Luckily Livingston is fed by the trinity river and they have been getting rain further up stream

my grand parents live on white river lake out in spur, tx and it has been at 30% capacity for about the lake 15 years. some lakes around here look 2 feet and they are at 80%.

greenmonster
05-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the excellent link! Looks like my lake (Joe Pool) is almost 100%. Lucky for us, it usually stays close to full even in drought conditions.

brad460
05-01-2011, 09:48 AM
And......it won't stop raining (and in some places snowing) in Wisconsin!!! :-(

I believe we set a record (or damn close) for rainfall in April. :-(

skylar18
05-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Send some rain this way.....(and some brats!)

Razzman
05-01-2011, 10:51 AM
22 feet is alot when your lake is only 23 feet deep!!!

I know, just screwing with you texas guys. 23 feet? I thought everything was big in Texas? Couldn't help that one! :p:p

rdlangston13
05-01-2011, 12:03 PM
I know, just screwing with you texas guys. 23 feet? I thought everything was big in Texas? Couldn't help that one! :p:p

Yeah, my home lake is smaller but it varies. Lets see my home lake is Somerville so lets see how it stacks up against other lakes in TX. This is all in acre feet, whatever that is.

Somerville - 147,104
Toledo Bend - 4,472,900
Lake Texoma - 2,371,376
Sam Rayburn - 2,857,077
Falcon Lake - 2,645,646
Amistad - 3,274,057

However I am pretty sure all these are dwarfed by Lake Powell or Table Rock Lake. Then you have the great lakes which are just inland oceans...

sandm
05-01-2011, 12:09 PM
we have flooding here along the river from too much water. they are holding the lakes at 75% and 55% in anticipation of the rapid snow melt.

funny story, in eagle, about 20 miles downstream from the lake, there's a ton of million$ homes. when they built, the area was not in a flood plain due to an oversight. they resurveyed the area 8 years ago and added it to a large flood plain and told everyone there that they needed flood insurance. all these people bitched, complained, and were upset demanding the city/county to fix the issue. you're talking about drs, lawyers and business professionals, with above-average educations. what makes you think you can live 25ft from the only major river that gets it's water from 2 lakes that hold in excess of 5million acre-feet of irrigation water and not think flood?
city/county basically told them to kiss off.

Razzman
05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
city/county basically told them to kiss off.

As they should have :cool:

McMoomba
05-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the excellent link! Looks like my lake (Joe Pool) is almost 100%. Lucky for us, it usually stays close to full even in drought conditions.

Greenmonster, I am with you about feeling lucky about Joe Pool, that is where we normally go as well. The only problem is historically if the other lakes get too low we see an insrease in traffic. Week nights always seem to be good though.

rdlangston13
05-01-2011, 02:21 PM
MCMoomba, just and FYI if you are available July 15-17 we are having a mooomba owners jam down at Bethy Creek on Lake Livingston. It is on the mouth of the trinity river and they have a cable park to ride as well. The river is supposed to be glass for miles.

McMoomba
05-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Rdlangston13, thanks for the invite, I saw the post about the Jam but we will be at Broken Bow that weekend.

greenmonster
05-01-2011, 07:46 PM
McMoomba, what color is your boat? We'll look for you this summer. I hope to be out there next weekend for the first time this year.

McMoomba
05-01-2011, 10:00 PM
McMoomba, what color is your boat? We'll look for you this summer. I hope to be out there next weekend for the first time this year.

Red, See ya out there soon.
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=63&pictureid=3623

STANG KILLA SS
05-04-2011, 12:26 PM
has the link gone down? its not working today

rdlangston13
05-04-2011, 05:55 PM
it is back up and running now

matt75
05-19-2011, 09:44 PM
if they took 20 feet out of somerville it would be completely empty. we are 4 feet low now and it is pretty much unusable. looks like ill be going to conroe or livingston for the rest of the summer. bethy creek here i come!

and just think skylar, you wanted us to have the Texas Moomba Owners Jam in Travis...good thing we are going with Bethy Creek! it is at 100% capacity!

Just bent my prop out at somerville. Middle of the lake at the back. I was dumping tanks at about 8mph, then came across about 1.5ft of water. Nice 3mph trip back across the lake. You store your boat over there? We launch right by the shell station.

skylar18
05-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Might actually rain here tomorrow. I will believe it when i see it.......

pickle311
05-20-2011, 11:01 AM
It's rained a couple of times this week. Still not enough to bring Travis up though.

skylar18
05-20-2011, 11:42 AM
We need like 13 inches in a 2 hour period.......

Looking for a tropical storm that somehow misses all the population centers and oil rigs on the coast, then heads straight up to Austin!

rdlangston13
05-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Just bent my prop out at somerville. Middle of the lake at the back. I was dumping tanks at about 8mph, then came across about 1.5ft of water. Nice 3mph trip back across the lake. You store your boat over there? We launch right by the shell station.

I just moved my storage to a place in Trinity Texas about 10 miles from the public launch on the Trinity River. We went to Bethy Creek last weekend and pretty much fell in love. Water was glass up the whole river and 30+ feet deep. We are heading out there again Sunday.

bzubke1
05-20-2011, 12:38 PM
So it was pretty sick then?

rdlangston13
05-20-2011, 12:43 PM
So it was pretty sick then?

it was it was. You have to watch for sticks/logs floating down the river though. that was about the only negative. Did not see any gators, just a few snakes but there were not in the area we were riding. There is a man made channel that connects the river to Bethy Creek that is about 3 feet deep and it is marked so you just have to take it slow thru there but once you enter the river it drops to about 30 feet. we barely saw any other boats in the river besides fishing boats. we did encounter an X2 with some guys surfing and some dude riding an air chair behind an old natique. Some kids showed up with what looked to be a brand new super air natique, since they guy driving the truck looked well into his 50s and he was followed by a tricked out tahoe full of college aged kids i can only assume it must be nice to have daddies money lol

bzubke1
05-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Thats awesome I'm excited for the trip. The debris was prolly from all the rain we got up in dfw a couple weeks ago. Was the water pretty smooth? Did your try the cable. You should post some pics in the thread for the texas jam to get people excited.

rdlangston13
05-20-2011, 01:29 PM
There you go, pictures posted! The water was pretty dang smooth, every once in a while you would turn a corner in the river and the wind would kick up but as soon as the river turned again it was back to awesomeness. Even in those windy areas it was still smooth water.