PDA

View Full Version : 01 outback won't start

ScubaD
04-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Any ideas?
TBI indmar
Started with a fake a lake last week.
Started with a fake a lake this week.
30 minutes after starting it we took it to the ramp.
It cranked but would not catch.
Replace the battery with a fresh car battery.
Still cranks but will not start.

Hoopskier
04-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Not certain but possible vapor lock, depending how long you ran the engine before getting to the boat ramp. Also if you tried starting it for a long period of time, after a vapor lock issue you may have flood the engine with gas. Let it cool and retry.

Does the engine sputter at all while cranking, like it wants to start but it wont. I experience this occasionally on my 03. For me, just alittle throttle while cranking, then engine will start. Some sooty exhaust will result.

ScubaD
04-30-2011, 09:37 PM
I gotta say, this is a great board. I should have searched the board more before posting. The oil pressure sending was disconnected. Likely my fault when I changed the oil yesterday and accidently knocked it off.

Now I have something to try tommorrow.

Thanks

Hoopskier
04-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Glad you got it running with an easy fix.

ScubaD
05-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I am back for help again. I still cannot start my outback because the fuel pump is not getting power. I determined the fuel pump will run on 12 volt. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit. Any suggestions on why the fuel pump is not getting power. Fuse?
Some one had mentioned priming the oil pressure.

Thanks

ScubaD
05-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I am back for help again. I still cannot start my outback because the fuel pump is not getting power. I determined the fuel pump will run on 12 volt. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit. Any suggestions on why the fuel pump is not getting power. Fuse?
Some one had mentioned priming the oil pressure.

Thanks

ScubaD
05-07-2011, 10:24 PM
More info. 15 amp fuse is good.

Question: shouldn't the fuel pump cycle on for a couple seconds regardless of the oil sending unit? I have no power at the pump at any time while cranking.

Gauges do no register anything while cranking. However I do not know if that is normal.

maxpower220
05-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Have you checked the safety lanyard near the throttle for its operation

ScubaD
05-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Ha. Boat runs just fine.
So, the good news is that was the problem. Plus I learned quite a bit about my "new" outback. Bad news is looking fairly foolish. Well hopefully I will never be confused if I run out of gas. Thanks

WaterBullDawg1980
05-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Ha. Boat runs just fine.
So, the good news is that was the problem. Plus I learned quite a bit about my "new" outback. Bad news is looking fairly foolish. Well hopefully I will never be confused if I run out of gas. Thanks

LOL, its happened to all of us friend!

Glad you are up and running. Be sure to check in often and put up some pics of your new toy!

DOCDRS
05-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Yep its just like having the throttle just out of neutral, the boat wont crank