PDA

View Full Version : Question on ignition ACC

jboardman
04-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Just bought a new 09 XLV GG edition. Spectacular looking boat! I've been coordinating the following problem with the dealer because they're not local. I have an ACC position indicated on the ignition switch panel, but the key won't turn CCW to that positon. The dealer says that it won't turn to the ACC position for this year and model. I'm ok with that but how do you run the stereo, courtesy lights, nav lights?? If I turn the key to the Run position, you can run all the electronics but the engine computer turns on. Seems a little odd and not what I'm used to. I had tower speakers and lights installed by the dealer. Any chances things didn't get wired correctly?

mmandley
04-29-2011, 10:55 PM
You shouldn't have to use an ACC at all. These boat are HOT wired. As in the switch panel that controls each area is HOT all the time.

On my boat it has 2 positions, RUN and START thats it.

Welcome to the family, congratz on the new boat. Post some pics of it.

jboardman
04-29-2011, 11:00 PM
So when you're floating, you can just hit the stereo switch with the ignition in the OFF position and it turns it on? If so, then then the wiring has been messed up because they won't turn on unless I turn the key to the RUN position. The blower is the only thing that works with the key in the OFF positon.

moombahighrider
04-30-2011, 01:33 AM
Yeah, that is definitely not right. You should be able to turn on the stereo switch without the ignition involved at all. If the ignition is on all the time, you're batteries are not going to last too long. Fuel pump, computer, etc, etc all on with ignition.

cab13367
04-30-2011, 01:38 AM
So when you're floating, you can just hit the stereo switch with the ignition in the OFF position and it turns it on? If so, then then the wiring has been messed up because they won't turn on unless I turn the key to the RUN position. The blower is the only thing that works with the key in the OFF positon.

Yeah, something's not right. With the key off (and even with the key not in the ignition), all the dash switches should be hot so you can turn on your stereo, blower, ballast pumps, heater blower, courtesy lights, etc.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new boat!

Al

zabooda
04-30-2011, 02:01 AM
I wired in an SPDT accessory switch that keep the stereos, subwoofer amp and my depth finder on with the engine off in one position or I can run them with the ignition switch. I usually switch it to the hot position leaving the dock and then returning switch it back.

jboardman
04-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like something I'll need to get taken care of before boating season hits full stride. Not too major just a bit of a nuisance to have to do fixes on a brand new boat.

myster
05-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Don't know if this will help but when I got my boat brand new, I had some electrical issues as the connections to the batteries were done all wrong. You have a starter battery and a bigger more expensive accessory battery. the wires and cables should have tags on them telling which battery to connect them to. The batteries are connected together and then you have a selector switch so you can choose how they discharge when the motor isn't running, and also how they charge when it is!! Might be worth a look I think