PDA

View Full Version : First Time

snyderaaron
04-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Took out my moomba to wakeboard yesterday for my first time. Air temp around 65 and water temp around 45. All I can say is AWESOME. Was the funnest time i've had on the water. Buying a Moomba=Best Descision Ever

kaneboats
04-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Awesome! Glad to hear it. Lots more fun times ahead.:)

Ian Brantford
04-29-2011, 10:12 AM
+1. Welcome to your new lifestyle.

sicktc06
04-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Welcome to your new lifestyle.

You have no idea how true this statement is. I didn't know my boat would take over my life in a fantastic way when I purchased it. The people you will meet and friends you will develop with this thing is awesome. I have to second Ian and welcome you to this lifestyle!

rdlangston13
04-29-2011, 10:33 AM
65 degree air temp and 45 degree water temp...all i have to say is i am glad i live in Texas

kaneboats
04-29-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't even wash the car in those harsh conditions.

skylar18
04-29-2011, 10:38 AM
My kids are spoiled. They were complaining that the water was only 72 degrees last weekend.

mmandley
04-30-2011, 08:34 AM
I feel the same way, when i bought the boat i knew we would go out and have fun i just didn't realize how much fun it would be and how much it took over my summers.

When i pull the boat out of the garage and shine her up im smiling ear to ear. When im rolling down the road with her behind me im just beaming with pride like a new daddy would. I just know tons of people see me roll by and think, man that's a sharp looking boat and hes on his way to the lake Bastage!! lol

From Memorial weekend to Oct boat has the priority every weekend that we have sunshine. I have meet tons of people i would have never met other wise. I have been to lots of different lakes that i wouldn't have gone other wise.

Now when ever i talk to family the first thing they always want to know is when are we bringing the boat to AZ and TX for them to enjoy lol.

Next to my Truck its my favorite toy and i never think twice about spending money on it. At least when people ask me where all my money goes i point to the truck and boat.

rdlangston13
04-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Next to my Truck its my favorite toy and i never think twice about spending money on it. At least when people ask me where all my money goes i point to the truck and boat.

Im not a big money spender on my land vehicle since all it really does is transport me. I would much rather spend it on toys for the boat. that is where the party is. i did just buy firestone air bag helper springs for the truck but if i didnt have the boat i wouldnt have bought those so does that mean it was money spent on the boat or truck?

kaneboats
04-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Don't kid yourself. That was a boat expense.

mmandley
05-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Don't kid yourself. That was a boat expense.

Yup it was.

I spend money on my land vehicle because i drive it everyday and all year so i want to be happy and comfortable in what i drive. Plus after spending a day on the boat with that stereo the truck had to have something decent.

Brain from Exile said it perfectly to me last year. We were headed to the lake in the F350 and we had the tune playing. He said this sounds pretty decent.

Then we spent all day on the boat.

On the way home we had some tunes cranked and he said " Mike this trucks stereo F**ing sucks " I said well yeah its no Exile boat stereo lol. So the next week i spent more money at Exile buying some amps for the truck, new speakers and a sub system lol. Now when Brian rides with me he says stuff like, sounds a lot better but you need a Big 12 in here LOL No friggin way that would blow out my windows LOL

Ian Brantford
05-03-2011, 01:52 AM
[...] When im rolling down the road with her behind me im just beaming with pride like a new daddy would. I just know tons of people see me roll by and think, man that's a sharp looking boat [...]

I have heard people actually yelling out "nice boat" at intersections and gas stations many times. Wakeboarding boats are starting to be somewhat known around here in the last year or so, but previously they were mysteries to the general public. Most have never seen anything larger than an 18' or maybe 20' runabout. Anything bigger would be a deck boat, houseboat or big cruiser.

The full-sized towboats like the XLV are deep as well as long, so they look even bigger than they really are when viewed up close on the trailer because they just fill the field of view with shiny hull up to one's eyebrows. They also have much thicker towers than most "wakeboarding editions" of runabouts, so they look very muscular.

The first time that I pulled into my local gas station before heading on a cottage trip, a big local redneck (and I use that term affectionately, as I am a suburban white collar worker now but grew up in a cowtown) just walked right up to the side of the boat, looked up and down in wide-eyed and slack-jawed wonder for a good 20 seconds before sputtering out "I've never seen this kind of ..." At the cottage, people would stop in their boats or from shore and stare. Every evening and early morning when it was quiet, we could hear people on their slow cruises going by our dock, reversing and coming back to take another look and exchange some amazed chatter. Throughout the next couple of summers when launching from our usual marina, there would be lots of interest from passers-by.

On another cottage trip a couple of years ago while passing through the small town nearby, a carload of four guys saw me waiting to turn at an intersection. Everyone but the driver rolled down his window, got up to lean way out and scream (almost in crying desperation and envy, by the tone) "Nice boat!" as they drove by. Darn, that's good.

In addition, women really, really like it. Darn, that's even better. I am middle-aged now and most of my peers have taken to having kids. I'll see them on the water again in 2-3 years. Lately, the boat is often crewed by my also-a-useless-bachelor buddy, a couple of younger single female friends and the many 20-something girlfriends whom they bring as guests. The boating pictures are starting to get a bit awkward to the outside observer (a.k.a. "awesome"). It is a burden worth bearing.

I spent so many of my early years with limited social skills. I was a VERY late bloomer. I am finally getting to enjoy my life while I am living it, instead of letting it pass by. This personal growth all started the day that I bought my first runabout, and got another big boost when I upgraded to this Moomba. I got my first buzz-cut after the wind was tearing out my thinning hair and then I finally got comfortable with baldness. Becoming a skipper on a sportboat gave me some skills in leadership, self-confidence, patient coaching and just plain letting myself have fun.

In addition to the above fun with bachelorettes on the boat, I have had "family days" where guests can bring their kids. Sometimes the youngsters are my own relatives who are under my charge. At any time, I am ready to meet Miss Right and at a suitable time start having kids. There won't be one of those "don't rob me of my freedom, baby!" moments. You many guys out there who share your family experiences are setting great examples. Thanks.

wolfeman131
05-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Lately, the boat is often crewed by my also-a-useless-bachelor buddy, a couple of younger single female friends and the many 20-something girlfriends whom they bring as guests. The boating pictures are starting to get a bit awkward to the outside observer (a.k.a. "awesome"). It is a burden worth bearing.

I bet it is . . . :p

rdlangston13
05-03-2011, 08:46 AM
I get alot of looks while trailering too. At the gas station one day this guy kept looking at it and asked if I wanted to sell it hahaa. Wake boats are pretty common down here though, they are still in the minority when compared to I/O runabouts but its not a rare site at all. I usually find myself being the guy who sees someone drive by with a Malibu or Mastercraft and I gawk a little.

My girl friends dad has a little 18 foot center console bass boat with an 85 hp outboard on the back. The first day I showed up at his house getting ready for a lake trip with the moomba he got wide eyed and said "thats a big ass boat"

kaneboats
05-03-2011, 10:04 AM
We're an hour from the coast and while everybody heads south to the Gulf with their fishing boats I head north to the Flint River just over the line in GA. I was in a gas station one day and a redneck (also using the term affectionately) says, "dang, that' shore a nice boat-- hope you catch a bunch of 'em today." Some of the fishing boats down this way have towers on them so I guess he thought it was some kind of fishing apparatus.

mmandley
05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Ian i fell you exactly borther. I too feel i am a late bloomer a lot of the time. I think im 10 years younger then i am all the time. My crew shows it as most are low to mid 20s LOL.

As for the boat yea i get that all time at the gas station. I use the same station so its pretty common to get the same gas attendants and they always joke when im done just drop it off at my house. Or my lunch is in an hour, my favorite is come back at 3pm that's when im off work.

I think my favorite WOW moment from some one was when i pulled into the station and of course i take up the entire row of pumps because the boat/truck is so long and the station is on a small lot.

This guy walks up while his car is filling and looks the boat over, then says whats a boat like this cost? 20K i bet huh and then i said double that and its the average price triple it and you get closer to the retail price with the gear on the boat. He about fell over.

Kane we got fishing bots with towers on them all over the place. River boats is what we call them and the big name is North River i understand its the Master Craft of fishing boats.

rdlangston13
05-04-2011, 01:08 PM
speaking of people gawking at gas stations....HATE how my truck fill port is on the left and my boat is on the right...makes filling both up at once a chore

05-04-2011, 01:25 PM
rdlangston13, I COULDN'T AGREE MORE.

E4NASH
05-04-2011, 01:41 PM
speaking of people gawking at gas stations....HATE how my truck fill port is on the left and my boat is on the right...makes filling both up at once a chore

Guess I'm lucky because my truck's is on the left (Driver) and the boat's is in the rear...

kaneboats
05-04-2011, 01:57 PM
I think I figured out why our Aussie mate wants to pull his boat with a car. Petrol fills are on the same side.

Glanzer77
05-04-2011, 04:29 PM
I am waiting to get our new LSV wet...we have had a horrible spring in S.Dakota. Never been one to look at or be involved with message boards before, but there is something about that boat.

Sure turned heads behind the Expedition on the 250 mile ride home from the dealership.

rdlangston13
05-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I am waiting to get our new LSV wet...we have had a horrible spring in S.Dakota. Never been one to look at or be involved with message boards before, but there is something about that boat.

Sure turned heads behind the Expedition on the 250 mile ride home from the dealership.

well welcome to the board! i find that this board is a wealth of useful knowledge! i have like 15 pages all bookmarked from this site where the useful info is.

kaneboats...did you say petrol??? ha

wolfeman131
05-04-2011, 09:05 PM
kaneboats...did you say petrol??? ha

yeah, didn't ya know that kane can speak Australian? He's one smart cookie!