PDA

View Full Version : Tantrum or Backroll?

wakeflip
04-29-2011, 02:26 AM
Its about that time that I try something alittle more than just w2w. Whats easier to learn. A Backroll or Tantrum? I heard the Tantrum is fairly easy and I've been watching alot of how-to videos, but the backroll 'looks' to be alittle easier cause you just roll off the wake instead of popping back off the wake. Any input?

mmandley
04-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Your me hero for eighter one LOL. Im hopping to finally clear the wake this year. Last year was pretty short for us and mostly i retaught myself to get up correctly on the boat instead of fighting the boat. This allowed less stress on my arms and hands and i could take more starts.

Then i really worked on my side slides and transitions into Switch riding. I even Surfed switch to help get used to the feel of the boat pulling me in what feels like a backwards direction lol.

maxpower220
04-29-2011, 09:05 AM
IMO, the backroll is a little "easier", but in reality they are about the same degree of difficulty. Odds are if you are like me, you will stall several times before every getting it down. Either way, the stalled landings are not pretty and you will probably be going in head or side first. Try to keep the line tight, that is the key.
Other things to try are w2w 180s, w2s 360s, blindside 180s (requires handle pass).

bzubke1
04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
I think backrolls are easier, but I would just give each one a shot one or two times and do whatever one you feel like you are getting closer at. This is what I watched to help me learn the backroll. I skipped straight to trying it one wake, instead of doing the air rolls and inside out thing. I slowed the boat down to like 18-19 and just went for it. If you do the things this video says you will have it down in no time. The most important thing about the backroll is edging all the way through the wake, if you let off your edge you're gonna under rotate and land on your back. FWIW i took harder falls learning the tantrum than the backroll but thats just me.

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/feature/how-to-low-impact-hs-back-roll-progression.html

kaneboats
04-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Wow, that's an excellent video.

wakeflip
04-29-2011, 12:50 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/feature/how-to-low-impact-hs-back-roll-progression.html

Thanks for the video. Helped out alot. I guess Im gonna hit it first thing tomorrow morning and give them a shot. Hopefully I'll make good progress :)

mmandley
04-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Great video.

Anyone notice his board has Moomba stickers on it? Top and bottom

viking
04-30-2011, 06:07 PM
I agree - great video. I think I need to spend a bit more time reading WW threads :)

I'm "jonesin" to get out on the water i tell ya!

wakeflip
05-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Well, got out on the board with full ballast. It never felt so good to board. Every w2w felt perfect and I felt like I had complete control. So I figured it was the perfect time to attempt a Tantrum. I completely skipped the slow attempt. It just felt so right, that I went ahead and hit it as hard as I could. I cut in hard, released my back hand, and popped off perfect. Rotated all the way around and landed back on the board. Of course it was my first attempt so I went down. As soon as I came back up I knew something was wrong. I got the board off my feet as soon as I could. Within the hour I knew for sure my left ankle was sprang. Yay. I just got to the point to where I could board again because of a torn meniscus. Here goes another 6 weeks down time.....

KSmith
05-02-2011, 07:10 AM
AGH! Sorry to hear that, I hope you recover quicker than you are expecting!

I almost made it out yesterday, It was my plan to at the start of the weekend. Ended up working on getting my yard equipment tuned up and running as our neighbor had surgery (and is getting dumped by her husband) and can't mow her yard, so we volunteered, which meant I had to get everything running so we could have at it. That turned into an all day parts hunt... everyone with a John Deere riding mower must have needed air fitlers, oil filters and spark plugs...

sicktc06
05-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Wake, that honestly was one heck of a nice attempt though! Better than mine!!

I got to get my butt confident enough to try this trick more. I gave it one attempt last night but landed pretty hard on my head. For some reason, I took a small breath when my head hit the water. Didn't feel good coming up coughing up lake water. :P
But Since my ankle break last year, I've had a hard time committing to stuff. I know WakeFlip is gonna push me though to get it!!

mmandley
05-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Nice work guys, Wakeflip sorry about the ankle man good thing is its just the start of the season and not the middle.

Take it easy for a few extra weeks when you return to the water.

I can say from experience the more times you injure the same spot the more easy it gets to injure it again. I have the same problem with my L4 and L5 in my back. I have pulled and slipped those disks so many time i have burs and they don't even sit right when they are in place. No pain right now but it doesn't take much to throw my back out now.

Ankles are no joke to mess with.

I enjoy reading and hearing about you guys boarding inspires me to keep trying to get better LOL.

bzubke1
05-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Tantrums tear up my ankles too. I take it you under rotated and landed real hard on your toes.

KG's Supra24
05-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I personally think the tantrum is a little easier. It at least seems more natural to me since you are doing more of a backflip (like you would on a trampoline). I also haven't landed a backroll yet either, ha!

If you aren't going to make the rotation on a tantrum, don't try to force it. Almost landing it usually hurts worse than not even coming close.

wakeflip
05-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Tantrums tear up my ankles too. I take it you under rotated and landed real hard on your toes.

Pretty much exactly what I did. But, it was a learning experience. It felt good to commit to it and give it a try. Next time I'll slow the boat down and take it alittle easier and work my way up. Like I should have done in the first place :rolleyes:

bzubke1
05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
The biggest thing for me to make sure I don't under rotate is to really concentrate on popping off my toes at the wake, for some reason that really helps me get the full rotation. I still jam my ankles avery once in a while, it sucks.

The tantrum motion definitley is a more natural motion, it's the trip flip that gets me. Aapparently my timing is off because even the ones I land the people in the boat tell me I didnt go all the way up the wake.

Sabe
05-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Like others have said make sure to get a good pop off the wake on either one so you dont under rotate. I picked up the Tantrum alot quicker then the backroll. I had the Tantrum dialed in about a week. I'm still in the process of trying to land a backroll with consistency.

wakeflip
05-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Got the xrays done today. Its a fracture. And, I cant remember what he called it, but I also tore a ligement. When it tore it ripped off the top part of the bone. Much worse than we expected. And a longer down time than I was expecting. fml :sad:

mmandley
05-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Dam man that double sucks, sorry to hear it man. Are you at least gonna be able to surf? Or you otta water for a while too and stuck just being the driver?

wolfeman131
05-02-2011, 10:08 PM
man that really stinks. hope you have a speedy recovery.

wakeflip
05-03-2011, 01:51 AM
Dam man that double sucks, sorry to hear it man. Are you at least gonna be able to surf? Or you otta water for a while too and stuck just being the driver?

Oh yeah, Im def out of the water for a while. Im not going to attempt surfing or anything. This is one thing I need to let fully heal or Im really going to put myself out of commision if I end up hurting it again. Id rather be safe than sorry.

bhowell
05-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Oh yeah, Im def out of the water for a while. Im not going to attempt surfing or anything. This is one thing I need to let fully heal or Im really going to put myself out of commision if I end up hurting it again. Id rather be safe than sorry.

I feel you man. I just bought my boat a month ago and tore my achilles last Wed. playing flag football. I'm having surgery today to fix it. I was also about to land the tantrum. I only tried it 3 times but all were close. Now I'm out for the summer. It's really a bummer. I hope you have a quick recovery. Now I'm just looking forward to being able to take the boat out. Looks like more partying since I won't be able to ride....

New Guy
05-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Damn that really sucks but I know your pain. I fractured mine a couple years ago doing a tantrum. One foot came out of the binding and snap. The Dr called it a snowboarders fracture. Basically the little hump on the inside of my ankle snapped off a couple screws and I was walking on it in a week.

rdlangston13
05-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Wow, boarding injuries have already begun this summer and it is only May! STANG KILLA with a concussion and now your ankle!

wakeflip
05-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Yep. No pain, no game :p

05-08-2011, 12:17 AM
I learned the Tantrum long before a backroll, but i have to say a backroll is easier. Almost everyone who has issues getting them consistent is leaving the wake too soon (Its always my problem). the longer you wait, the higher you'll go and easier it is to land. Backrolls are all about commitment, edging ALL the way through the way and not letting go of the handle.
Slow the boat down and give a backroll a try and hang onto the rope all the way through. You may surprise yourself.

morgan040
05-08-2011, 03:31 PM
took me a long time to land a backroll, It felt so good when I landed the first one, that I immediatly cut back and got cocky and tried my first attemt at a tantrum. Landed it first try!!!

Like everyone has said the key to a backroll is not spinning untill you pop off the wake, you have to cut through the wake.

The "tripflip" for a tantrum is all about timing it right, trial and error, sometimes I nail it but usually Im to early. If you can do this on a trampoline then you can do it on the wake!!!!

bzubke1
05-08-2011, 07:12 PM
One thing to think about that helped me my last time out with my timing on tantrums was to keep my eye on the wake. It sounds stupid but most of the time I would get close to the wake and just square up to it and throw the trick but it really helped me time it better when I looked at the wake all the way until initiated the trip flip.

rdlangston13
05-08-2011, 10:21 PM
The "tripflip" for a tantrum is all about timing it right, trial and error, sometimes I nail it but usually Im to early. If you can do this on a trampoline then you can do it on the wake!!!!

sounds like im screwed then cause all i can do on a trampoline is go up and down