PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hull mod for ballast

Sea N' Things
04-28-2011, 03:53 PM
So, has anyone installed a 4th thru hull intake and overflow for an additional ballast sac? Has any issues occured - spider cracks etc...?

I am just try to determine if I want to risk the warranty being VOID on my new 2011. I can't see any issues as there are already 3 intakes with the GIII system. Any thoughts???

moombadaze
04-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Havent added a 4th (yet), but did add 2 thruhulls, no issues so far that I know of

Canuckle Head
04-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Why wouldn't you just add a T fitting to one of the pumps?

Canuckle Head
04-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Stupid editing thing..... Timed out before I could make changes. I meant a T-fitting to the intake and then add the 4th pump. That way you don't wreck your warranty.

Canuckle Head
04-28-2011, 05:00 PM
like I said before, there's more to the new system than plumbing (electronic modules) and where would you mount the additional pump and module?

I'm betting your dealer wont be too excited to read this thread :)

I don't think you really need the timing modules.

Sea N' Things
04-28-2011, 05:13 PM
I was just inquiring, I did discuss it with my dealer as well as WakeMakers and I'm thinking about T'ing into the same line as the centre 400lb sac. Just wanted to get others opinions :) Spencer from WakeMakers thought that T'ing an addition into the existing would be the best solution instead of drilling new thru hull finttings. I'm going to stick with the PLAN of NOT drilling holes :)

moombadaze
04-28-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm going to stick with the PLAN of NOT drilling holes :)

Thats a good plan

Sea N' Things
04-28-2011, 07:04 PM
I am Ed, just got off the phone and my items have been ordered, NO thru hull fittings and NO 1100lb sac's :) I think this is the right/smart decision as well!

ATM, no 4th pump or module, I will be sharing the same pump as the centre locker 400lb sac. Spencer will be shipping a plumbing diagram as well. I will post it when I receive it...

Canuckle Head
04-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Ed, keep in mind that he has the LSV which is a much bigger boat than your NGOBV. Like the acronym?:D

Sea N' Things
04-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Yep your right ED, the 1100lb is not worth the wake gain for me not to mention the reenforcement mods. Plus, SC and my dealer strongly advised against it as it would go waaaayy over the recommanded boat rating as per Coast Guard stamp. I will stick with the twin 750lb'ers and the 400lb'er in the centre ski locker as well as a 650lb bow sac (to be used on occasion). Spencer actually suggested the sharing of the punp from the 400. So, I am sure he knows whats best. Not sure on the set-up as of yet but I am hoping to get the items next week with the install diagram he is doing up for me.

I also remember Spencer telling me as well that the wake gaine from the 1100's would NOT be substantial by no means :)

mmandley
04-28-2011, 10:49 PM
I have added the 4th threw hull for draining my 1K IBS system. I also have drilled a new hole in the bottom of the hull to add my depth water temp gauge. I also drilled a large hole in the nose of my boat to add a flip over Nav light.

No spider cracks, no chips and everything looks flush.

Sea N' Things
04-28-2011, 11:00 PM
My biggest concern is voiding the warranty, not drilling the holes. I have had many boats in the past and...well I did some funky things but they were not as expensive as this 2011 bute :) I would hate to put a fitting in and a spider crack happen or some other flukey thing...

jester
04-29-2011, 12:18 AM
I have added the 4th threw hull for draining my 1K IBS system. I also have drilled a new hole in the bottom of the hull to add my depth water temp gauge. I also drilled a large hole in the nose of my boat to add a flip over Nav light.

No spider cracks, no chips and everything looks flush.

Mike, Next time i am in Portland with my boat I have a 6 pack of beer with your name on it for a little help in drilling holes in the boat.

mmandley
04-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Mike, Next time i am in Portland with my boat I have a 6 pack of beer with your name on it for a little help in drilling holes in the boat.

Mike you let me know and ill come see you in Eugene buddy, not a problem.

As for drilling holes in a boat and voiding warranty, i don't think that will happen, they may just not warranty spider cracks near the spot to drilled. AWS has seen all the options and work i have done on the boat and they have never hinted i would lose my warranty. Even though i run non factory ballast SC and AWS replaced my entire swim deck. Now i have 2 of them.

THe new 2011 swim deck is different from the 08 its much thicker around the edged. Almost mimics the upgrade Todd < Outback 11 did to his. Ill snap some pictures once i unwrap it. The bad thing is they sent me a grey platform cover with it and they doesn't match anything in my boat. So i have to order a Sea Deck pad again =/

11 Outback V
04-29-2011, 02:48 PM
I spoke w SC a little while ago about drilling holes.
1 If a dealer drills them you have FULL waranty.
2 If you drill them they will warany everything unless the holes you drilled caused the problem.

That is basically what mmandley said.

Now I can go drill some holes!!!

STANG KILLA SS
05-03-2011, 09:53 AM
please post up what you plan to do. diagram?
im wanting to add the bow sack as well. and never thought about sharing intakes.
i would like a seperate pump though.

Sea N' Things
05-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Change of plans , my dealer has agreed to drill the holes for the thru hull fittings. I will be installing a switched 4th pump.

Now no warranty issues....

mmandley
05-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Stang here is how my IBS system is put in.

It fills off the ski locker pump, when the 400 is full it draines into the 650 IBS bag, this is via the outlet at the top of my 400.

I then have 2 drain pumps on my IBS. 1 at each corner.
I have a vent line at the top center of my IBS bag.
Both pumps and the vent all tie into 1 line at the drivers side and go to a 4th threw hull fitting.

This stops air from being in my system, it drains the 1K nose bags faster then i can drain a 750. I have the drain pumps looped together and they all run off the factory drain switch. No additional switches needed. Since these are 800 Tsunami pumps there is no worry running them dry.

Inside the ski locker i drilled into the left side of the nose section right by a brace. I drilled from the nose side into the ski locker after measuring.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Picture023-1.jpg
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Picture020.jpg

This is the drivers side and shows the drain pump, i just remove the inerds of the pump when i removed the bag so i don't have to disconnect it
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Picture021.jpg
electrically.

Pic looking up into the dash, you can see the factory threw hull line < clear > with a 1 way check valve and then the added line is going to another threw hull.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Picture022-1.jpg

kaneboats
05-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Those are good pics, Mike, they really tell the story.

Sea N' Things
05-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Thx Mike for the pics...

KSmith
05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Ed, keep in mind that he has the LSV which is a much bigger boat than your NGOBV. Like the acronym?:D

Much bigger than a NGOBV.?.?.?.. not. A mere 18 inchs and a hundred pounds... my dog is bigger than that...

Much bigger, ah you're killin me, please stop LOL

:p

Canuckle Head
05-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Much bigger than a NGOBV.?.?.?.. not. A mere 18 inchs and a hundred pounds... my dog is bigger than that...

Much bigger, ah you're killin me, please stop LOL

:p

So your rear lockers are the same size as an LSV then? I was under the impression they were not.

KSmith
05-06-2011, 07:12 PM
So your rear lockers are the same size as an LSV then? I was under the impression they were not.

Gosh, I don't recall saying anything about lockers, or steering wheels, or cup holders. I said the LSV is not "much" bigger as you had proclaimed

"Ed, keep in mind that he has the LSV which is a much bigger boat than your NGOBV. "

Again, 18 inches and 100 pounds is not a "much bigger" boat. But as I may not have been paying attention to what I wrote please do show me where I stated anything about locker or key ring size.

The LSV is bigger, kinda hard to dispute the math, just not much bigger. I bet it has more screws in the rub rail and floor too.

Canuckle Head
05-06-2011, 07:23 PM
like I said before, there's more to the new system than plumbing (electronic modules) and where would you mount the additional pump and module?

I'm betting your dealer wont be too excited to read this thread :)

This is what I was responding to. That extra 18 inches in length and 1" in width translates to a lot more additional storage room for the placement of things like pumps etc which Ed was questioning if he had room for.

From all of the pictures I have seen on this site of the LSV, it appears to have a lot more room in behind the observers seat and in the rear lockers as well as the V-Drive compartment than the OBV. Both new and older generations.

So, that is what I was refering to. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

So, you wanna meet after school behind the Monkey Bars and settle this or what?

Sheesh! :p

mmandley
05-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Is it me or does it always seen when an Outback owner is told there boat is smaller then an LSV it's like calling them out but when an XLV owner says an LSV is smaller we just nod our head in agreement?

brain_rinse
05-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Again, 18 inches and 100 pounds is not a "much bigger" boat.
Don't tell that to all the guys that spend thousands and thousands of dollars to get a boat that's a foot or two bigger. :) Even more noticeable to me is the beam. Just a couple inches wider and it makes a huge difference IMO.

KSmith
05-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Don't tell that to all the guys that spend thousands and thousands of dollars to get a boat that's a foot or two bigger. :) Even more noticeable to me is the beam. Just a couple inches wider and it makes a huge difference IMO.

Indeed, they seem a bit sensitive about it :p

lsvboombox
06-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Change of plans , my dealer has agreed to drill the holes for the thru hull fittings. I will be installing a switched 4th pump.

Now no warranty issues....

Did you install the 4 th pump? I put the bow sac in but t'd it off of the ski locker sac.. I want to have independent controls for the bow sac and the ski locker.. Waseither going to install the 3 way control that wake makers sells to control each sac or install the 4thpump.. Was curious where you installed the 4th pump if you added it.