PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Question

Lynn Syndrom
04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Hello - I just purchased my first boat last fall and in working on a few things this spring I noticed that the steering wheel will rotate further in one direction than the other. Steering wheel rotates 2 1/8 rotations to port and 1 1/2 rotations to starboard. I purchased the boat out of state and the previous owner mentioned that he replaced the steeling cable himself. I just wanted to understand if this is correct and this is in some manner compensating for the rotation of the prop and dynamics of turning the boat.

2003 Moomba Outback

Thank you...hope this is not a dumb rookie question

kaneboats
04-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Welcome. And, this is not a dumb question. I sure don't know the answer to it. Does the boat cut a turn equally sharp in both directions?

bbuhtz
04-27-2011, 03:01 PM
when you have the boat out of the water, measure port to starboard of your rudder iteself. i wouldn't rely completely on the steering wheel. also you are correct of the prop rotation affecting maneuvering the boat but i would only expect this to be noticable with larger boats or dual screw/prop boats than these moomba boats, but i could be wrong, some people have keen eye for small things like that. i myself don't notice it on my moomba, but on f/v's 100ft+ its very noticable.