PDA

View Full Version : Wave Runners

rdlangston13
04-26-2011, 10:15 PM
So my dad came to me yesterday expressing interest in purchasing a wave runner so we have something else to add to out aquatic toy box. I was wondering if any of yall on here know which manufacturer makes the best bang for the buck as far as wave runners go. It has to seat 3 people and he will probably purchase new.

jpetty3023
04-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Check out the Yamaha FX140. Had that model bout 4 years ago and it would pull my wife, son, and I on ski and pull tube with my 2 daughters in it. It was the "Cadillac" of skis few years ago. Model name may have changed over the years but fx140 will be good starting point for your research..

lsvboombox
04-26-2011, 10:31 PM
We have a couple of kawasKi stx's 15... got them as leftovers for cheap... great skiis.....

DOCDRS
04-26-2011, 10:50 PM
wave runners , seadoo's........what areyou buying it for?........the new ones are rock solid 4 stroke boring machines....be a man and get yourself an old 2 stroke that subs , flips and rolls!!!!!

scoot_gt
04-26-2011, 10:52 PM
...interest in purchasing a wave runner

Don't do it!!!!

Hoopskier
04-26-2011, 10:52 PM
I was into my jet ski when I had it, was a 05 Seadoo RXT (3 seater). It was a top of the line at the time. Not sure if it falls into the catagory; bang for the buck. It was rocket fast @ 70mph. I used it to pull waterskiers and tubes as well, had a mini pylon (OEM accessory) on the back.

Check out this website http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/index.php Its a jet ski forum that I used to participate in. Very big, active and covers all brands. There is also a store to purchase replacement parts or upgraded performance parts. I spent to much money there as well.

rdlangston13
04-26-2011, 11:38 PM
i was checking out this seadoo

http://www.personalwatercraft.com/manufacturers/sea-doo/2011-seadoo-gtx-limited-is-260-review-1041.html

ans was AMAZED at how thing thing has a suspension on it! these are getting way advanced

you da man
04-26-2011, 11:59 PM
They are all sea fleas. I love how a couple lakes near me ban them from the main body of the lake (coves only) during holidays. Does Honda offer a supercharged 3 seater because the 2 seater is pretty amazing

E4NASH
04-27-2011, 12:45 AM
I had a 08 Yamaha GP1300R, it didn't seat 3 but man that thing would SCREAM! 70+! I've had a jet ski/waverunner / seadoo of some sort my entire life. It really just depends on what you are looking for. If I was to go buy one now it would be tough between Seadoo and Yamaha. I find that Seadoo's are a little more expensive. After my GPR I really like Yamaha's now. I still may get another one but it will probably be a stand up model like the Yamaha Super Jet. I've always enjoyed them more....anyone can sit down and ride...it takes real skills to REALLY ride standing up.

rdlangston13
04-27-2011, 01:07 AM
ok so he did not even give me time to look. apparently he pulled the trigger today on a Yamaha VXR.

cbboarder
04-27-2011, 06:46 AM
We have 3 of them at the lakehouse. I've come to the conclusion they're only good for 1 thing, pulling tubers as I refuse to do it behind the OBV. However I will mention one of them i a 05' Kawasaki SX800 modified by Riva. My way of staying in shape over the summer. It's one hell of a workout and an absolute blast to ride.

BobP
04-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Hard to beat the yamaha marine engines. Sea-Doo had some issues
with their most recent 2strokes, but i think most manufacturers
4 strokes are pretty darn reliable.

As for us, we have 2 Yamaha standups (had since 1998), slightly modded
with pipe, head, etc from Riva. These things take a ton of abuse
but keep on kicking. Ton of fun, best watercraft purchases we
made.

mmandley
04-27-2011, 09:08 AM
I think it would be fun for a couple rides then be pretty boring after that. If i cant do water sports behind it then its not for me.

That is a pretty nice one your pops picked out and im sure it will be fun for a while. At the end of the day though there's no replacement for my boat.

BobP
04-27-2011, 09:18 AM
While I'm not a huge fan of sit down PWC, I can see their place. It's always nice to have more options for fun on the water. Most people get frustrated trying to ride the standup, it would be nice to have a sit down as well. We love our boat too...just different machines for different experiences.

rdlangston13
04-27-2011, 09:41 AM
im looking forward to it, now all we need is a pontoon boat as a central hub and place to cook out. i have some friends up in dallas with a 24 footer....

viking
04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
A buddy of mine has a Seadoo RXP-X 255. The machine is IMPRESSIVE. Check out the specs. All I can say is you have to "hang on".
The price tag is impressive too - but if money wasn't an options. I'm just sayin :)

rdlangston13
04-27-2011, 12:44 PM
ive ridden the 225 rxp. crazy fast, you can only do WOT for like 30 sec cause it will dry out your eye balls

New Guy
04-27-2011, 05:20 PM
i was checking out this seadoo

http://www.personalwatercraft.com/manufacturers/sea-doo/2011-seadoo-gtx-limited-is-260-review-1041.html

ans was AMAZED at how thing thing has a suspension on it! these are getting way advanced

That is more then I payed for my Moomba are people crazy!!

Ian Brantford
04-27-2011, 07:27 PM
ive ridden the 225 rxp. crazy fast, you can only do WOT for like 30 sec cause it will dry out your eye balls

Here is a possible fix for that. It also reduced fear issues when riding behind the boat by preventing "eye openers" during a crash.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=4427

mmandley
04-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Here is a possible fix for that. It also reduced fear issues when riding behind the boat by preventing "eye openers" during a crash.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=4427

I bought Claudia two different pairs, types of those because she wears contacts and they kept fogging up on her and she got frustrated because after she would crash they created a vacuum and tried pulling her contacts out of her eyes.

Ian Brantford
04-28-2011, 08:36 AM
I bought Claudia two different pairs, types of those because she wears contacts and they kept fogging up on her and she got frustrated because after she would crash they created a vacuum and tried pulling her contacts out of her eyes.

Do you mean that you bought this model exactly, or something that looked similar? This model doesn't fog when you are in motion. They they can do so when sitting still for while.

They have side vents to avoid pressure problems during a crash. They are not swimming goggles.

mmandley
04-28-2011, 09:12 AM
I don't know if there those exact models or not. We ordered them from Overtons and it said they were for water sports and people with contacts.

Now she doesn't wear any glasses she has learned to shut her eyes when shes losing control lol.