PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Trailer Jack

bhowell
04-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Has anyone replaced the jack on their trailer? If so what did you go with and what were the results?

It seems to me that you need a Jack with the following:
1. Rated at 1000 lbs.
2. That can lift the ball hitch to approximately 30 inches above the ground.
3. Quality Level that you would trust your boat with.

Thanks,

Brett

Mikes
04-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Alot of people like the Fulton F2,I havnt tried one yet but its on my list.

sandm
04-26-2011, 02:28 PM
I just did the fulton f2. was just over $150 for the complete kit. doesn't lift the boat as high as the factory jack, but it does good. built solid and a much better jack than anything factory, just be sure and order the single wheel not dual.

bhowell
04-26-2011, 03:15 PM
I just did the fulton f2. was just over $150 for the complete kit. doesn't lift the boat as high as the factory jack, but it does good. built solid and a much better jack than anything factory, just be sure and order the single wheel not dual.

Do you know the max height it can reach with your ball hitch? The ball on my Tahoe is currently 29 inches from the ground when unhooked.

rdlangston13
04-26-2011, 05:48 PM
I think my factory one works fine, what is the advantage in going with the fulton f2?

sandm
04-26-2011, 05:49 PM
I measured mine at 20" at the tongue, but that's my trailer. my truck, a 2000 ford f150 but sitting on an f250 frame and off road tires only shows 20.5" to the top of a 2" drop hitch, so your tahoe must be lifted? 29" is really tall for a tahoe. and are you sure you're using the correct drop and the trailer is sitting level once it's hooked up?

anyway, specs are below..
after doing the swap and researching online, you lose 2" of travel swapping the factory fulton winch, which shows 12" of travel to the fulton f2, which has 10" of travel. I compared them side to side and the f2 is exactly 2" shorter than the standard fulton when both are raised up to the top.

biggest benefit is the stability. the f2 feels soooo much more stable at full height. there's a definite difference in the innards of the 2 jacks.

sandm
04-26-2011, 05:51 PM
and by far the biggest reason to go with the f2 is a stronger jack. if you use a lift or don't have to use the jack to roll your boat in/out of the garage, probably no reason to. my first 2 years with the boat, I didn't notice any wear on the jack as I was parking in a 9ft tall and 16ft wide garage door, but this house i've been in for the last year only has a 7ft opening, so the boat has to be rolled in/out of the garage. I've noticed the wear on the jack this past year.

zabooda
04-26-2011, 06:43 PM
I went to the ranch store and got one like the one replaced for $30.

pmoomba
04-28-2011, 07:13 AM

I picked up one of the Fulton F2 kits last year but didn't get around to putting it on yet. I didn't even think about the height not being the same, I guess I'll have to measure to make sure it won't be a problem.

I'm wondering though why you said be sure to get the single wheel over the dual?

sandm
04-28-2011, 09:27 AM
seems that the single would move around easier. I had a single, bought the dual as I didn't think of ordering the single. it's much sturdier than the old jack, but seems that the single wheel would swing around easier, especially if your driveway as even the slightest bit of an incline.

jmvotto
04-28-2011, 10:34 AM
my factor jack has a height problem so i needed a new hitch with the newer suburban. if the f2 is shorter you may need a bigger drop. i can barely get the trailer off my hitch now ....

SC_LSV
04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Anyone ever tried the U-Bolt on version?

Or have a link to where to buy the F2 and the adapter plate for the direct mount bolt on, rather than weld-on?

sandm
04-28-2011, 03:36 PM
here ya go..
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=14036

get the f2 off either ebay or just do a google shopping search and find the lowest price.