PDA

View Full Version : Bow Cover

Will Watters
02-08-2005, 07:20 PM
I did not see anything on the configurator for a Snap Bow Cover. Considering the cover for both trailering and use while underway if I am caught in light chop. Any experience with using the bow cover this way and is it an after market installation??

smokedog2
02-08-2005, 10:59 PM
I’m not sure if they have one. If they do it will be a piece of the optional snap in boat cover. My experience is that they eventually shrink and are hard to install. You will never have it in the boat when you need it and you will not install it on the water. They tear at the snaps. The attach points look “unfinished” when the cover is off. At least I think they detract from the boat lines.

I have heard that you should not trailer with a cover since the cover can wear on the gel coat. They are useful when parked under trees with birds, but then you get to clean the boat cover.

They hold moisture and encourage mold and mildew; and are too big for a washing machine.

If I had to store a boat outside I’d use the shipping cover the boat came in however, I believe the dealer is supposed to ship those back to the factory for reuse. I’d also throw a big bag of desiccant in the boat.

I predict if you are in any serious weather the snaps will not hold as the waves break over the bow anyway.

clark
02-09-2005, 09:55 AM
"Tonneau Cover" is what the front snap on cover is called on the configurator.

noneya
02-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Sorry SD but your are 100% wrong about the bow cover, I have one on my Outback LS and love it. We keep it installed most of the time except in the heat of the summer or if we have a bunch of people on board (not very often) I do tow short distances with it on. Have not seen any gelcoat damage, I think that is refering to the wrap around covers that have straps going under the boat. The snap on is very tight and doesnt really blow around too much. It breathes just as good or better than the shipping cover. If it was under trees and what not, I would rather clean the cover than the interior of my boat. It is really useful on those early mornign runs when you dont really want the wind blowing trough the boat, with a heater installed you dont really have to worry about the cold at all. The snaps hold fine in weather and rollers over the bow just pool on the cover, you can then hit it from underneath and knock the water off. Not sure what you mean about holding moisture, any cover you have on will do this to some extent, I would not store my boat outside without a cover. I keep mine in the boat under the front seat, so I always have it when I need it. No problems with tearing around the snaps and I do tow with it. Mine was put on at the dealership.

smokedog2
02-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Yea,

In the interest of full disclosure I have a friend that uses and likes the snap in covers (non SC boat). Two years and it still fits, I was admittedly surprised. He tows from Ohio to SC at least twice a year and I have yet to see any real wear yet but the dealer did tell him it will eventually wear on the gel coat. I think they all tell you not to tow with the cover in place. My friend and I store indoors without the covers. If I had to store outdoors through a winter I would dry the snot out of the boat, put on the cover and then put a plastic tarp over that.

He will on occasion take the time to snap up the front while cruising without the kids for drinks at the Noisy Oyster at Buzzards Point in SC, but I’d rather just put on a sweat shirt. To each their own. Somebody has to like them; they sell a ton of them.

Snap in covers are smaller than the full boat cover so at least you have less stuff to store while boating. I still bet 9/10 times you look for the bow cover in the boat it will be bask in the car.

I think I’m only 90% wrong. I think you would agree on the desiccant in the boat.

SD2

noneya
02-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Haha ok 90%...I havent ever used the dessicant, how long does it last if the boat is stored outside?

zabooda
02-16-2005, 01:08 PM
I use a bow cover at times when I need to keep the cold air from coming in, running through rough water and to hide stuff under when I'm at public docks. The bow cover is all I carry on board and like noneya it fits in my bow seat and takes up less room than a throwable cushion. I have used the cover when trailering along with the cockpit cover and there is very little movement but the downside are the covers fit on tight so it's a pain to snap on and also the asthetics of having snaps.

A good boat tarp shop installed mine and it is actually the place where many of the boat shops takes theirs anyway. Ask around with the locals were they get their covers. If you ask enough people, it generally leads you to one place that does a good job for a good price. Color is important also, the darker the color the more heat that builds up. Also, the tarp shop recommends not using the blue plastic type tarps as they really do hold in moisture. For winter storage, I do use my trailering cover with a blue tarp on top of that against the advice from the tarp shop and I havn't had any problems but then I live in the desert so we see very little moisture but if water gets behind the blue tarp I would expect to see substantial mildew on my trailering cover.

seanpatsdad
02-16-2005, 07:51 PM
I use my bow cover in the colder months to keep the cold out while on the water.Never have had a problem with it.Mine came with the boat.Works great.
John