PDA

View Full Version : Wakeskating

harmsway
04-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Anyone try wakeskating?

We went out for a few hours this afternoon and myself and my son got up on the wakeskate I bought over the winter. It was quite fun and as close to skate boarding as anything I have done. I think I will add this to my list of things I do when we go out.

lsvboombox
04-23-2011, 10:09 PM
love it... wake to wakes take some serious skill.......

harmsway
04-23-2011, 10:23 PM
love it... wake to wakes take some serious skill.......

No doubt, I was able to board slide the 1st time up and cut across the wake.

I will be happy to get a little air. lol

lsvboombox
04-24-2011, 08:13 AM
There is a great shot of reed hansen taking a wakeskate square to the nuts off a rail.......

harmsway
04-24-2011, 08:42 AM
just recently, some guy who claimed to know how to wakeskate, rode behind my boat. I'm not sure he knew what the hell he was doing. He was all over the place. Couldn't stay in one place for very long.

I forget his name - Rick Hansome or something like that, and he definetly needed a haircut.

LMAO...

If I could ride like Rick I would have a new career and probably have long hair also.

you da man
04-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Just over 20yrs ago I was pretty good at skateboarding street style and some vert riding. When I wakeboard I catch myself doing a lot of lip tricks with ollies. Maybe wakeskating is something I should try. I've heard though that some of the worst slams can come from wakeskating.

deepcove
04-25-2011, 11:36 PM
you da man

If you have a skateboarding back ground you will enjoy wakeskating. Also in my experience you get slammed much harder on a wakeboard.

New Guy
04-26-2011, 09:27 AM
you da man

If you have a skateboarding back ground you will enjoy wakeskating. Also in my experience you get slammed much harder on a wakeboard.

Much harder on a wakeboard since your strapped in. The only thing you really need to worry is getting hit in the junk with the board.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-26-2011, 10:13 AM
What do you guys see as harder...wakeboarding or wakeskating? I am assuming the latter simply bc you are not strapped in, but I have no idea from experience.

I would like to try wakeskating this year. The falling from failed trick attempts on a wakeboard is starting to kill my body in my old age. (turned 30 last year)

you da man
04-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Much harder on a wakeboard since your strapped in. The only thing you really need to worry is getting hit in the junk with the board.

That's what I was meaning or in the head

kaneboats
04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
The falling from failed trick attempts on a wakeboard is starting to kill my body in my old age. (turned 30 last year)

I've got some real bad news for you.

you da man
04-26-2011, 12:26 PM

What do you guys see as harder...wakeboarding or wakeskating? I am assuming the latter simply bc you are not strapped in, but I have no idea from experience.

I would like to try wakeskating this year. The falling from failed trick attempts on a wakeboard is starting to kill my body in my old age. (turned 30 last year)

30...psssh, I'm turning 40 in 4 months and I'm just starting to go bigger on the wakeboard and I just got serious about wakeboarding last year. You're only as old as you feel.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-26-2011, 02:00 PM
30...psssh, I'm turning 40 in 4 months and I'm just starting to go bigger on the wakeboard and I just got serious about wakeboarding last year. You're only as old as you feel.

lol, good point. And your right.

My goal for this year is to land a tantrum. If I break my face, I'll remember what you said. "You're only as old as you feel". ;)

you da man
04-26-2011, 02:43 PM
lol, good point. And your right.

My goal for this year is to land a tantrum. If I break my face, I'll remember what you said. "You're only as old as you feel". ;)

As we get older, our learning curve is a slight incline probably due to the more thinking that we involve in learning new tricks instead of being young and fearless and saying, " hold my beer and watch this shit"

harmsway
04-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I have yet to take a spill on the wakeskate, but I have have not pushed it very hard, just trying to get a feel for it. I have taken some pretty good spills on a ski and wakeboard, to me the wakeboard will rattle your brain when you stop instantly from the board catching the water. I feel if you can keep the wakeskate away from you when you fall the spills may not be so bad.

I also think things through a little more at 45 yrs. But its more like I wonder how long is it going to take me to heal if I f*%k this up. Then I tend to hold back a little.

jmb
04-26-2011, 07:56 PM
I heard that. I jumped wake to wake for the first and last time last fall. I fell, naturally, and one foot came out an the other one stayed in. Then the board twisted. Sprained my ankle. I am 53 yrs old. Took almost 3 months to heal. Ruined the rest of my season. I am now jumping a little but a little gun shy. Don't want to get hurt.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-26-2011, 09:13 PM
As we get older, our learning curve is a slight incline probably due to the more thinking that we involve in learning new tricks instead of being young and fearless and saying, " hold my beer and watch this shit"

LMAO! Isn't that the truth?! Brains over testosterone now a days. :)

rdlangston13
04-26-2011, 11:00 PM
i had a buddy who is pretty good at boarding tell me it is easier to learn big wake boarding tricks on a wake skate becuase the crashes are much softer when the board is not strapped to you

you da man
04-26-2011, 11:56 PM
i had a buddy who is pretty good at boarding tell me it is easier to learn big wake boarding tricks on a wake skate becuase the crashes are much softer when the board is not strapped to you

I don't see how any of the tricks/jumps are similar though.

deepcove
04-27-2011, 12:50 AM
w2w with spins and grabs.....weather or not you would call those "Big" wakeboarding tricks could be debated. Doing any of these on a wakeskate is much more difficult imo.

KG's Supra24
04-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I can see the use of the wakeskate for learning handle pass (spins) and getting comfortable with rotations (inverts).

So w2w on the wakeskate ... Is clearing the wake the same movement as an ollie on a skateboard? Is that how you keep it under your feet?

rdlangston13
04-27-2011, 12:54 PM
for any flipping type trick i assume on a skate you just hit the wake like you would on a wake board, then the skate flies off while you do your rotation so when you wipe out you dont have the stress of the board tearing your legs up. once you get good at rotating all the way and confident you can land it, you strap on the board.

this is how i think it is supposed to work, never done it myself

bzubke1
04-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I know wakeskates are used for learning raley based tricks but haven't heard of using them for many other tricks. Most other tricks I think you're better off slowing down and shortening the rope.

lsvboombox
04-27-2011, 05:26 PM
I can see the use of the wakeskate for learning handle pass (spins) and getting comfortable with rotations (inverts).

So w2w on the wakeskate ... Is clearing the wake the same movement as an ollie on a skateboard? Is that how you keep it under your feet?

The higher u go the more u need to ollie to carry the board..... b ut u can get away with a w2w without an ollie