PDA

View Full Version : gelcoat repair???

Shooter
04-22-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm not going to pretend I know anything about repairing gelcoat, so can anyone tell me exactly how bad it is from a few pics??

Long story short......boat load of kids in an old boat and no idea what in the world they were doing. They just pulled up, slammed into my boat, said "sorry, thought you were someone else" and sped off.

You can hook your fingernail in each scratch. I'm furious, still a little hotheaded about it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/Shooter271/038.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/Shooter271/039.jpg

wolfeman131
04-22-2011, 11:12 PM
unfreaking-believable! Wish you said you had gotten some reg numbers.

Hate to say this, but on that dark blue, I'd take it to a pro to get it fixed.

zabooda
04-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Yep, where it is at I would take it in. Fixing jelcoat on the hull where it won't be seen is a different story. It looks like boat that bumped you had all their screws loose and some on the trim too.

It's amazing when people work hard to keep their boat looking nice then it takes one idiot to mess things up. That's why I don't get concerned about taking shoes off, not eating in the boat etc etc because it will be something else messing things up and it could be me doing it. Luckily, I haven't had many issues.

Shooter
04-23-2011, 12:00 AM
I will def take it to a pro. Just not sure when I'll be "willing" to part with it for the repairs. This is my 7th weekend in a row, kinda on a roll and don't want it to stop. I've got everyone pretty well trained already and they know the boat gets wet on the weekends!!!

11 Outback V
04-23-2011, 07:45 AM
That is a fairly simple repair, the hardest part is getting the color to match exactly. Color match will depend on if the color is faded at all. A shop could do that in a few hours work but will need 24 hours dry time in the process. You should be able to take it to a shop at the begining of the week and have it back for the weekend

Shooter
04-23-2011, 08:45 AM
That is a fairly simple repair, the hardest part is getting the color to match exactly. Color match will depend on if the color is faded at all. A shop could do that in a few hours work but will need 24 hours dry time in the process. You should be able to take it to a shop at the begining of the week and have it back for the weekend

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

brad460
04-23-2011, 10:25 AM
This would be an easy repair for a pro. Too bad you are not in my area, I know of a great guy!!

With my last boat...I tied up to a dock for a half hour to have lunch and there must have been a screw sticking out of the dock which gouged the s**t out of the gel coat..WAY WORSE than your pics. He fixed it like new for $200!

Shooter
04-24-2011, 12:12 AM
thanks to all for the input. I was able to contact a friend that practically lives on the water, owns a cabin cruiser. He gave me the contact info to the "best" gelcoat guy in our area. Will give him a call Monday morn.

kaneboats
04-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Good to hear. Please share the results with us.