PDA

View Full Version : LS rear ballast mod question

E4NASH
04-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Has anyone ever or heard of anyone taking out the hard tank ballast under the rear seat in an LS and replacing it with a Fatsac? I was thinking about it last night I'm pretty sure a W705 (650lb) sac would fit in there. What do you all think? If so would it connect to the factory pump and lines or would I have to buy an adapter or something like that?

harmsway
04-22-2011, 03:52 PM
On my '08 LS the rear seat is supported by the hard ballast tank, but it is a different hull then '05 LS. Some of the earlier LS had a 2 position rear seat if yours is one of them I believe the larger bag is not a problem. If yours is like mine you would need modify the supports for the rear seat or not use the rear seat when you plan to fill the sac.

E4NASH
04-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Ok thanks. I will check and see how the seat is supported. I'm not quite sure if the seat actually sits on the tank or not. It might...

E4NASH
04-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Yep, the Hard Tank supports the seat. I guess that won't work unless I get some creative ingenuity and build something.

harmsway
04-28-2011, 07:44 PM
It would take some major modifing to get a larger soft sac under the seat. The gas tank rest directly behind the hard ballast tank so there is no room to go back only up. And the '08 LS the rear seat is a major pain to pull out, I have actually broke one of my speakers taking in and out, because of how it is wedged into its spot.

Are you trying to get a bigger wake to surf or wakeboard?

I have noticed with my boat the best wakeboarding wake is with the ballast empty and gas tank full. The wake is stiffer and has a better lip, but as the gas tank empties filling the hard ballast with equal amount of water keeps the wake consistant. If you fill the ballast tank when gas tank is full the wake gets soft and it is hard to get lift with the wake board.

For skiing the best wake (flat) is when gas tank is almost emty and of coarse no ballast.

Now surfing I am still trying to figure the wake out. I just started surfing this season and the hard ballast just isn't enough. The sweet spot is so close to the swim platform that you are actually riding almost against it. But I ordered 2 750lbs sacs that just came this week and we are going to try them out this weekend.

SEARK
04-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Now surfing I am still trying to figure the wake out. I just started surfing this season and the hard ballast just isn't enough. The sweet spot is so close to the swim platform that you are actually riding almost against it. But I ordered 2 750lbs sacs that just came this week and we are going to try them out this weekend.

I found the best wake for surfing is not to put any ballast in the front and fill the side that you are going to be surfing. I usually have a few people in the boat when surfing so we try and get them to the surf side and it usually works great. If you put one of the 750 behind the driver it will probably give you a good wake.

deepcove
04-30-2011, 01:15 AM
harmsway

You need to put more weight up front to get your wake firmer. Especially with your rear ballast full and gas tank full. Do you have a wake plate and if so where do you run it?

harmsway
04-30-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't have a wake plate, but that is one of the #1 upgrades for this winter coming up. I do have 2 750lbs sacs to play around with I just haven't had a chance to get out with them. I am fixing to hit the water today and try them out. It seems that there is a lot of different perference of what will make a good wake. Of course if you are not comparing the same hull and driveline set up this is going to make a big difference in what needs to be done to make a good wake.

harmsway
04-30-2011, 09:49 PM
I found the best wake for surfing is not to put any ballast in the front and fill the side that you are going to be surfing. I usually have a few people in the boat when surfing so we try and get them to the surf side and it usually works great. If you put one of the 750 behind the driver it will probably give you a good wake.

Using one 750 sac on the passenger side & the hard tank did create a pretty nice wake. Here is a couple of pics of my son trying to figure it out.

Hydrofoiljunky
04-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Harmsway, that wave looks great. How many People did you have in the boat with ya today? Do you think you will use your other 750 sack? Do you think you would benefit from putting some weight up front?

Chad

harmsway
04-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Harmsway, that wave looks great. How many People did you have in the boat with ya today? Do you think you will use your other 750 sack? Do you think you would benefit from putting some weight up front?

Chad

Chad we only had 3 light weights in the boat my son, wife & myself. My wife was driving and I was sitting in passenger rear corner. I am going to play around with the other 750 sac by placing it in different places with different weight combinations. Thats one of the great things about the fat sacs you don't have to fill them up all the way. Some people say that the DD boats don't need much weight in the front because of the engine placement, then others say it will make the sweet spot longer. We are headed back out tomorrow so maybe I will have a chance to try some different set ups.