PDA

View Full Version : Possible new Tow Rig

Moseley618
04-21-2011, 09:34 PM
I have a 2wd Chevy ext cab now. I want to upgrade to a 4wd because last fall when I pulled my boat out it started raining and going up the road from the lake it started spining at like 45mph. I only us the truck for putting the boat in at the beginning of the season and pulling it out at the end. I do of course use it for hauling stuff some. In three years I have put 1500 mile on my truck now. This is what I have found. I looked at it while it was getting a state inspection and it was on the lift and I got to look under it and it was really clean and nice. What do you guys think?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=298270940&dealer_id=606752&car_year=2003&systime=&doors=&search_lang=en&start_year=2003&body_style=TRUCKS&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=used&distance=75&min_price=10000&rdm=1303435647436&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=92934&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2003&showZipError=y&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=32&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=65714&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=12000&awsp=false&make=&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=14&standard=false

mmandley
04-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Good looking truck i havnt really driven any AWD trucks as they stated. Now if its a true 4x4 that you normally drive in 2WD then if you test drive it make sure to drive it in 4x4 high and low. Listen for clunking, grinding, and binding of the wheels. Of course these needs to be driven in some kind of dirt and or gravel.

Roll the window down turn off the stereo and just listen to the engine and trans and transfer case. Make sure it all sounds pretty quite and not like pop corn.

My only concern would be this looks like a road truck that has 4x4 and prolly never been used and that can create just as many issues, so drive it and listen to it but with the amount you plan to drive it i wouldn't worry to much as long as it operates quietly.

newty
04-21-2011, 11:26 PM
From what I've heard the SS is a solid truck. Its full time awd and also has a high output 6.0. My buddy had one and loved it. He put exhaust on it and it sounded incredible. The only thing is the tow rating, not sure what it is. Mu buddy pulled a malibu response with it with no issues but something to look into.

viking
04-22-2011, 12:07 AM
FWIW i've always liked the looks of the older SS. Has quite a few miles but then again that's probably reflected in the price? Make sure and do your NADA research. Take the advice of the others and make sure she's solid. Good Luck!

Moseley618
04-22-2011, 03:46 PM
The towing capacity is 7500. I really like the looks of the truck and I don't think it has towed very much. My truck now has 193000.