PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Pumps

spoon03
04-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Ok, so I get out for the first time of the season. Everything is going good. Just pulled it out of the garage from the winter. Started right up. My goofy side ballast pump fills my 750 fine which is great because I am goofy. I surf and my family surfs for while. I try to fill left side and it is not filling. Then I look at goofy side and it is not emptying. Middle is doing great. I start to look into it. I reset the the breakers. Take off panels to look for blockage and disconnect some hoses to look for blockages. Nothing. But, left side pump is running much louder than right or middle. Before I start replacing pumps, just want to get some thoughts or suggestions. Seems like an easy fix. Just disconnect and replace pumps. And, if I need pumps, where do you all suggest I go to buy them. Seems kind of strange that 2 pumps would go out at the same time.

09 Outback V G3 Ballast system.

spoon03
04-21-2011, 02:35 PM
do you all think that sitting dry over the winter damaged them in any way. My boat only has 96 hours on it and the pumps are less than 2 years old. That's not a lot of life out of the pumps if they are bad.

brain_rinse
04-21-2011, 02:55 PM
I doubt you'll need 2 new pumps. You might need new impellers though.

spoon03
04-21-2011, 03:01 PM
After doing some reading, it seems like that is probably the answer. Both pumps are running, but not doing their job.

Please forgive me, but I don't have my boat with me. I am out of town.

The stock G3 system has Jabsco puppy pumps, right? Who sells, just the impellors?

11 Outback V
04-21-2011, 03:11 PM
You can get new impellers from Wake makers, wakemakers.com. I would suggest thet you upgrade to the green ones if that is whats wrong.

Try pulling the screws from the front of the pump and that will allow you to see the impeller. you can run the pumps without the cover for a few seconds, worst thing it will do is spit the impeller out.

spoon03
04-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I just ordered 3 new impellers from Fairfield Supply. I figured to go ahead and have a spare just in case. Went with the green nitrile impellers. Ordered from Fairfield because they also have the O-ring which I thought I would go ahead and replace while I was in there. Thanks for the replys. Much more piece of mind now that I don't think I have to replace pumps.

spoon03
04-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi Ed,
I always keep my boat on a charge when not in use to keep better battery life. So, I don't think it was the battery. Also, the pumps were running fine, just not filling on left and not emptying on right. Left was running loud, but I am wondering if all of the paddles broke off and it was free spinning with no water. When I get to my boat, I will check the impellers and see. If they are ok, then I will save the new ones. Hopefully that is the problem. New pumps are fairly expensive compared to impellers. Thanks

spoon03
05-06-2011, 04:51 PM
i checke all of the impellers. all o.k. pumps are running fine in both directions. just not filling. it's an 09 Gravity 3 system so the pumps should not need priming. any other thoughts or help................highly appreciated. blew all of hose out too for blockage. lost.

DOCDRS
05-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Fyi, for some reason my port side ballast has a hard time priming or filling when it has not been used for a bit. The other 2 starboard and front never had a problem. never a prob emptying any of them. I have not replaced the original impeller yet as i have a 2 minute back up plan if it doesnt fill to prime the pump. But then I have not checked all the clamps on the lines to that pump!!!!!! maybe i'll do that, as could be sucking a wee bit of air. Otherwise my GIII works awesome