PDA

View Full Version : Pop up Cleats?

E4NASH
04-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Was wondering if any of you have added pop up cleats to your boat? My boat doesn't have them so I was thinking about adding them. I don't think they'd be that difficult to install. What do you all think?

newty
04-21-2011, 12:36 PM
I've done them on other boats. Very easy!!! depending on which ones you buy you'll need a hole saw and maybe a small cut off wheel or jig saw. Oh... and a lot of painters tape.

Check Harbor Freight. they have them on the shelf here for <$10 a piece. They are decent quality too!

kaneboats
04-21-2011, 12:39 PM
I installed 4 of them on my Outback. The hardest part was figuring out where to put them. I opted for slightly different from the standard front locations. I bought the wrong kind though and it made the install much harder. I had to drill holes and then cut a slit between a couple of them for the cleat to slide all the way down. Take a close look at what you are buying. You only want to drill, not saw, if you can help it. But, overall not a bad job. Just be sure to measure 10 times and cut once (or something like that).

Did a little looking:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=5834

KSmith
04-24-2011, 03:31 PM
As usual, I took a different route and used these.

11 Outback V
04-24-2011, 04:09 PM
You might want to look at the "push pin" style cleats. They a very similat to the ones KSmith has. All you need to do to install them is drill a hole. Very simple and low profile

Todd

viking
04-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Cool ...... where'd u get em?

KSmith
04-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Cool ...... where'd u get em?

I got mine at Overtons

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=30859&pdesc=Spring_Loaded_Cleat_each&str=fender+cleat&merchID=4005#details_box_holder

E4NASH
04-25-2011, 04:03 PM

Yeah, I'm digging those!

New Guy
04-25-2011, 05:56 PM

They look awesome I just might have to pick some up.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-26-2011, 05:19 PM

Nice! I like those. I opted for the regular style. Wish I'd seen those!

lloydw
05-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Nice! Did you install yourself?
Just wondering what the install procedure is, seems to me it should have a backing plate underneath?

KSmith
05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Nice! Did you install yourself?
Just wondering what the install procedure is, seems to me it should have a backing plate underneath?

Yeah I installed them. Installation is easy.

I should point out these are mounting points for bumpers or quick tie offs to a dock but ARE NOT made for mooring. Any long term docking or mooring would not be a good idea with these. Like Ed, I do not really dock, I may tie off for a few minutes at most, and rafting together with other boats is not something I do often. The boat comes out of the lake at the end of the day and gets trailered home.

I have been considering some "regular" heavy duty popup cleats but if I have to, again as Ed mentioned, there are other tie off points if needed, these can handle the bumpers in positions there are no other tie off points but are good locations for bumpers.

Anyway...

Installation is basically you have to remove s C ring from the bottom center shaft which allows the spring to come off and the pop up to be seperated from the base. Drill a hole, 3/4 inch I think it was for the base to drop into.

The base has three mounting holes for screws, I think they were 10s. Drill out for the 3 mounting screws, 5/32 bit if I recall correctly.

I applied 3m 5200 between the base and the boat. Drop the base into the 3/4 hole, drive in the mounting screws. You could use some 10-24 bolts rather than screws and small washers inside and a lock nut.

Once the base is installed drop the popup part into the base. From inside the boat you need to then put the spring onto the popup shaft and then install the C ring to secure the spring, the C ring also functions as a stop to prevent the popup part from disconnecting with the base.

That's it.

Razzman
05-05-2011, 10:48 PM
My brother-in-law uses a mushroom cleat (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=457180&Category_Code=cleatsmushroom) from Rex Marine and they are pretty sweet.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-06-2011, 01:03 AM
What are you guys using to drill? I believe I have read some use hole saws and others use forstner bits? (sp?) Do they need to be made out of any certain type of material? I saw a few at Home Depot but wasn't sure which type you guys had used. The guy who was helping me literally said..."uuugghhh, I don't know, but they all look pretty sharp, so I bet any of them would be fine"

I decided I would come back on here and ask you guys before trusting that fellas expert opinion. :roll:

KSmith
05-06-2011, 07:56 AM
What are you guys using to drill? I believe I have read some use hole saws and others use forstner bits? (sp?) Do they need to be made out of any certain type of material? I saw a few at Home Depot but wasn't sure which type you guys had used. The guy who was helping me literally said..."uuugghhh, I don't know, but they all look pretty sharp, so I bet any of them would be fine"

I decided I would come back on here and ask you guys before trusting that fellas expert opinion. :roll:

I use both. I prefer forstner and use those for anything less that 1.5 inches, after that I use a hole saw as they tend to cost less. I run them in reverse until I am well past the gel coat, then crank them up forward to make faster progress until I get near the full depth and flip them back to reverse to finish.

I usually get a depth reading either with calipers if possible or drill a very tiny pilot hole and get a depth reading, then slap a piece of electrical tape on the bit I am going to use for the primay hole just shy of the depth so I know when the flip it back to reverse.

KSmith
05-06-2011, 07:57 AM
My brother-in-law uses a mushroom cleat (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=457180&Category_Code=cleatsmushroom) from Rex Marine and they are pretty sweet.

Nice! I like the colors. Wish I'd seen those before. The construction is almost identical to mine.

lloydw
05-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah I installed them. Installation is easy.

I should point out these are mounting points for bumpers or quick tie offs to a dock but ARE NOT made for mooring.

I had thought I would be able to use these for mooring, then when I saw no backing plate I had second thoughts.

I wonder if I expoxy a plywood backing plate and drill through the plywood and secure cleat using bolts if that would suffice, or should I order other cleats?

KSmith
05-06-2011, 10:46 AM
I had thought I would be able to use these for mooring, then when I saw no backing plate I had second thoughts.

I wonder if I expoxy a plywood backing plate and drill through the plywood and secure cleat using bolts if that would suffice, or should I order other cleats?

If you are planning on mooring or docking for more than a few minutes on occasion, I'd probably get the regular two post popups. Attwood makes some that install with only two holes to drill (some need a cut out between holes).

I have been kicking around the idea of installing some Attwood popups, but since I really don't dock or moor for more than a few minutes I really don't need them, but the thought nags at me what if I need them and don't have them installed LOL...

Anyway, I suspect the heavier cleats like the Attwoods might be better for your needs.

EDIT: Or you could do both ;-) I may end up with both eventually... the UPS guy hates me and the hill he has to climb to get to my house. I told him I need to charge him like a fitness program what with all the trips he makes up and down my hill.

lloydw
05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
If you are planning on mooring or docking for more than a few minutes on occasion, I'd probably get the regular two post popups. Attwood makes some that install with only two holes to drill (some need a cut out between holes).

I think you're right, I will look for something else, now what to do with with this popup cleat that I ordered??

Thanks for the info.

mmandley
05-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Could install them in the bed of the truck as a tie down.

Install it in the garage as a way to hang some gear of some sort.

Post it in the classified on the forum and maybe someone elese will need it.