PDA

View Full Version : Factory Moomba covers??

Sea N' Things
04-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Hey guys, just looking for some input on the factory cockpit, bow and gray boat covers that's optional at time of order. Do you guys see value in the quality of these covers are they strong, water resistant...etc. Do they last is the big question and are they worth it?

kaneboats
04-21-2011, 09:35 AM
It really depends on what you do with it. Does your boat sit on a lift, out in the weather or in a garage? Do you tow long distances. If you want a true towing cover skip all of these and get the Evolution one the folks on here rave about. My boat sits in the garage and I usually only tow about 40 min. I barely use a cover at all and love the two snap on ones I have (bow and cockpit). When it's cold we'll snap the bow cover on and the kids hide under there.

Sea N' Things
04-21-2011, 09:54 AM
hey kane, i'm thinking bow and cockpit just for resale and not getting the gray boat cover but rather an evolution one as I will be towing for up to 10 hrs and the boat will be sitting outside in the driveway during the summer.

kaneboats
04-21-2011, 11:07 AM
If I was getting the Evolution one I'd skip the 2 snap ones b/c they don't keep the water out too well. You have to remember that the boat will be covered with snaps. I don't mind mine but the boat looks better without them.

brain_rinse
04-21-2011, 11:16 AM
If I was getting the Evolution one I'd skip the 2 snap ones b/c they don't keep the water out too well. You have to remember that the boat will be covered with snaps. I don't mind mine but the boat looks better without them.

Same here...

newty
04-21-2011, 12:13 PM
I absolutely love my snap covers. I was worried about the look of the snaps at first but I quickly forgot all about them. They are easy to put on, they trailer really well, perfect for mooring the boat, and they don't rub on the gel leaving marks. Its also nice on brisk mornings to leave the bow cover on. It keep the cockpit toasty, and its a little fort for the kids.:p I get loads of complements on my snap covers.
The bow cover has a rubber seal sewn into it, so when your towing in the rain the water is forced out rather than under and into the bow.

The one dislike is I have is the way the cover is cut around the rear leg of my tower. Water can drip in there and leave the floor a little wet under the seat. A very small amount but it does leak a little.

For the money I'd spring for both, especially if you store it outside.
It would definatley be a good selling point and will extend the life of your snap cover. Ordering it with the boat is the most economical choice as buying it later will cost quite a bit more.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=226&pictureid=1768
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=226&pictureid=1767

kaneboats
04-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Do you really tow with the snap covers on? How far and how fast have you towed with them on? Through rain? How did they do?

rc5695
04-21-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm kinda in the same "boat" (:rolleyes:) and need an outer cover to store it under & keep water out but let it breathe & not mildew. With my last boat, the snap-on covers let too much water in around the edges, and also allow more of the boat to get sun all day every day. Maybe these wrap over the gunwhale more? Advantage snap covers when it comes to my tower that wasn't orignally on the boat... I don't tow it with covers, but towed my last boat with snap on covers all the time w/o problems.

Regardless, any ideas where to look for full covers or what brand to get for my '99 Kamberra? Not meaning to high-jack the thread, but i think this is what you're asking too Sea N'Things?

Thanks!

moombadaze
04-21-2011, 01:31 PM
My vote-bow snap on cover and Evolution towing cover

Sea N' Things
04-21-2011, 02:12 PM
The choice has been made, I kept the bow cover for the kids but deleted the cockpit cover as I will be getting an evolution...thanks to all participents & thank you for playing :)

E4NASH
04-21-2011, 04:26 PM
I have a full cover...is it ok to tow with it on? I am going to be bringing my boat with me to Lake Sinclair, Georgia for the fourth of July and wonder if I should tow it with the cover on since we will be traveling at night and to protect it during the long 8hr trip. I do not have the snap on covers. My boat is stored inside.

Sea N' Things
04-21-2011, 04:40 PM
I just ordered the Evolution...awsome cover for towing and or outside storage..

moombadaze
04-21-2011, 04:51 PM
I have a full cover...is it ok to tow with it on? I am going to be bringing my boat with me to Lake Sinclair, Georgia for the fourth of July and wonder if I should tow it with the cover on since we will be traveling at night and to protect it during the long 8hr trip. I do not have the snap on covers. My boat is stored inside.

Well heck, you will just have to come back to Lake Sinclair the very next weekend for the 3rd Annual Official Lake Sinclair MiniJam July 10th and meet a whole bunch of fellow Moomba owners.

moombadaze
04-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I just ordered the Evolution

Sea-great cover for towing and storage-these covers are heavy duty and Corry is great to work with

E4NASH
04-21-2011, 05:13 PM
How much does the Evolution run?

Sea N' Things
04-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Best part of $1000.00 i'm guiessing. He has not confirmed price yet, I just ordered online. He will call with full details and pricing, I will pass it on when I get info.

KSmith
04-21-2011, 05:54 PM
My bow and cockpit snap ons are one small step from being useless. They do nothing to stop the rain, they trap leaves and tree junk between the boat and the covers, they bleed black crap down the sides. I have to use a cheapo Wal-Mart cover over the factory snap on covers...

I will be getting a new cover eventually, possibly Evolution. If I'd known what crap they were I would have saved the money and ordered the Evolution...

Sea N' Things
04-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the infor KSmith, I just ordered the bow cover for my 7 yr old to make a fort out of, i have the filler cushion as well :)

FLTH2O
04-21-2011, 08:13 PM
I tow thousands of miles every year with no problems with snap covers on the highway. I would get both, snaps for the summer months and both during the rainy months. my .02

rc5695
04-22-2011, 11:58 AM
I emailed an inquiry to evolution...We'll see how much it is...

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

newty
04-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Sorry kane! I missed your post. Yea any time I tow the boat anywhere that's not local I cover it. So I always cover for long trips. I put my z-5 in the cockpit and cover it. Zero issues. Again I love my snap covers.

Do you really tow with the snap covers on? How far and how fast have you towed with them on? Through rain? How did they do?

kaneboats
04-22-2011, 12:24 PM
All right then. I'm going to try towing with the snap covers on in May to the Central FL jam. If they rip loose I'm going to fly you here to fix the snaps.

brain_rinse
04-22-2011, 12:32 PM
I make a 7 hour haul a few times each summer and thought the snap covers were fine in good weather. The snaps around the windshield will move around and scratch up the paint on the frame, but that will probably happen regardless of towing. But I towed through some rain once and the water and road grime combo acted as an abrasive under the bow cover. I buffed some of it out but there are three areas that will have to be wetsanded. I doubt I'll ever tow with it on again.

04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
I have both. The full cover is nice but on cold days, we ALWAYS leave the front button cover on and crank the heaters and it keeps the wind out and the heat in and the kids love to play under there.

Personally in Canada I would never be without the snap on cover for this reason. It stays snapped on more then it's off over the course of a summer (we do ride a LOT in the spring and fall when it's cold though).

newty
04-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Kane, my frames scratched more from me wiping the boat down than from towing. I'd squirt some superglue in the snaps on the window frame. It will stop them from moving at all. That's what I did that after I painted my frames and have had no issues since. You should be fine. Make sure the straps on the back are good and snug.

brain_rinse
04-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I'd squirt some superglue in the snaps on the window frame. It will stop them from moving at all. Is did that after I painted my frames and have had no issues since.
I really need to do this...

squeeg333
04-22-2011, 02:55 PM
I love my snap covers too. I tow with them quite often. Not super long distances, but they work pretty well. They do leak at the walkthru windshield though, so, I usually double cover the boat when I park it in the driveway. Factory cover over snap cover.

I do have a minor issue of the very front 3 to 4 snaps on the bow cover coming un-done while underway. Is there a way to make them tighter? I assume I'd have to replace the part that's screwed into the boat?

bbuhtz
04-22-2011, 03:13 PM
"Volume Pricing
Price reductions year round!
Tell your friends or club members. Once you get a minimum of four confirmed orders, contact Evolution Covers to receive your volume pricing."

If there was enough people interested in the evolution cover, this might be a good option for people in need of a cover. Pulled this from their website.

viking
04-22-2011, 05:26 PM
"Volume Pricing
Price reductions year round!
Tell your friends or club members. Once you get a minimum of four confirmed orders, contact Evolution Covers to receive your volume pricing."

If there was enough people interested in the evolution cover, this might be a good option for people in need of a cover. Pulled this from their website.

There has been a couple of group buys on the Evolution Covers on here in the past. For some reason $800 sticks in my mind? If someone finds out on price I may be interested in participating depending on pricing? I have a snap cover and love it but think an evolution would be a good addition for as much as I tow in the rain (never fails).

Sea N' Things
04-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Good idea and good to know, I will wait on my cover for a while to see if we can get a group buy, I will be getting one for sure. I need 3 more.....anyone? I'll try and pin point pricing as well on Tuesday.

iwaterskihard
04-23-2011, 11:49 PM
I bought a strapon for my 06 Outback from iboats.com and have been nothing but happy with it. Price was right and they custom built it for my boat and tower. I however NEVER tow my boat with a cover on it. My previous boat was a Supra and drove from Okanagan back to Alberta with it on in the rain and it damaged my gel coat. Lesson hard learned! I can clean it at my destination and cover it at night or during the day when necessary. Even the service dude at Martin told me I should never travel with my cover on if I want to save the gel coat. Just my 2 cents!!!

Sea N' Things
04-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Thx a bunch for the info. Most of my travel will be between Sylvan and Vernon...about 8hrs.

rc5695
04-27-2011, 12:03 PM
I got a price from Evolution and it was just over $800. Ouch... I might be in on teh group buy, as long as it isnt' right away. It'll take me a little to save up for that. Keep me in the loop!

Meanwhile, Overton's has one custom fit fo rmy boat made from Sunbrella mat'l w/ a 7 year waranty. Any good you think? About half the price, but I'd have to get it modified for my tower....

viking
04-27-2011, 12:14 PM
RC - I have a cover that I used on my 90 SupraComp before I had a custom Bimini Cover made. Don't know if it would work in the meantime before buying an Evolution or the like but I'd part with it for $50 + shipping

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=13589

rc5695
04-28-2011, 12:39 PM
YIKES! Just called a dealer, and the factory cover is almost $700!!! Definitely won't mess with that w/ the evolution being only $100 more :rolleyes:

thanks for the PM viking...we'll see what you find out on your boat size...

viking
04-29-2011, 12:10 AM
no problem! i'm hoping to get it out in the driveway to open it up and take some measurements but mother nature might not be on board with that idea. I'll let you know as soon as I can get to it!

jmondl
04-29-2011, 11:33 AM
I abhor snaps all over the hull; I find them unsightly. I ordered mine without any snaps, and instead went with the full cover, which has vents that work fine. I am very glad I have no snaps on my boat.

twisters6
03-22-2019, 11:46 PM
Do you know where I can get a bow and cockpit snap cover aftermarket?