PDA

View Full Version : Battery terminal cracked

pmoomba
04-21-2011, 08:01 AM
The terminal on my large red cable on my starter battery (to alternator?) cracked last season and I've put off doing anything with it. The arm with the screw to tighten it is broken so I can't tighten it, but the terminal fits snugly enough without tightening so it hasn't caused a problem (yet). I'd like to replace it though.

Is this a 2/0 gauge wire and battery terminal? Or something else? (OBV 2006, Assault 325).

I'm not sure off the top of my head if I have the length to just cut off the current terminal and put a new one on, or if a small section will have to be spliced on. I also don't have any tools for working on this size cable. Depending on the gauge I can maybe find a combo cutter/stripper.

Is there a less expensive hammer crimper I can use? Do you think there's room to hammer crimp it inside the passenger compartment with the batteries? Would it be a better idea to just find someone with tools/experience?

kaneboats
04-21-2011, 08:57 AM
I'd be tempted to make a clamp that would fit around it and cinch it tight.

mmandley
04-21-2011, 09:17 AM
You should have enough room to install a new clamp. I had this happen in the Truck last summer when i was towing. I got a check engine light, battery light and Voltage warning alarm on my programmer.

Turned out the same issue the clamp cracked and wasn't making good contact. I stopped at the local parts store in this podunk town by the coast and spent 5 bucks.

All i needed was an adjustable wrench and a razor knife. I bent the bad connector back and forth till it broke, side cutters or a hack saw would have been easier lol. Then the new clamp is just 7/16th bolt and a 1/2 bolts. Got er all bolted down and truck was happy. To this day im still running it as i have had no issues and the new cables for the truck are a few hundred bucks.

Story being just add a new clamp and dont worry about it. Keep letting it ride and it will fail when its the worst time for you.

pmoomba
04-21-2011, 09:21 AM
I hadn't thought about some sort of clamp, thanks. I'll see what I can come up with.