PDA

View Full Version : Tow tube repair?

wakeflip
04-21-2011, 01:26 AM
What do you recommend if your tow tube devolopes a rip? Not in the outer cover but the actual blow up tube. Somebody recommended to me a bicycle tube repair kit but that doesnt sound like it will hold. Is there anything I can pick up locally or am I just gonna have to order a tube repair kit?

zabooda
04-21-2011, 02:59 AM
There should be a vinyl repair kits near the water toys at the likes of Walmart, target etc. In the future, by at Costco and they have a liberal return policy if you're not satisfied for any reason you get a refund anywhere in a tube's life cycle.

Now Costco sells $1M engagement rings which would work perfectly for that. I wonder if they would ask if you want it back on the card or cash back. That's why they went to 90 days on electronics because every year people would bring back their old computer and get a newer one.

BensonWdby
04-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Seriously?? Just stirring up the hornets nest on tubing???

I would doubt if a rip in vinyl can be reparied enough to withstand the forces of towing. You might be able to use the viyl repair kit that comes with these things, but I doubt it will hold. If you really have to have a tube - bite the bullet and go buy another one.

wolfeman131
04-21-2011, 07:51 AM
try a heavier-duty patch kit from the pool supply store or pool section at WalMart.

Ian Brantford
04-21-2011, 08:50 AM
I repaired one of my first tubes years ago using a patch kit that came with it. It held just fine. That was for a hole in the surface that appeared after someone threw the tube over a log to dry out. The slightest bit of friction against wood can dig a hole (or the start of one) in this soft PVC.

However, a blowout involving a seam separating is generally not repairable.

wakeflip
04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Seriously?? Just stirring up the hornets nest on tubing???

I have a legitimate reason for owning a tube lol If we take the kids and wifes out first thing, sling them around for an hour, then they leave and leave the guys the rest of the day for boarding :p Me personaly, I hate tubes. Especially when Im trying to board and they come tearing up a perfect cove. But it gets the wives and kids off my back so why not?

kaneboats
04-21-2011, 11:21 AM
If you get a hole in a tube just throw it away, learn the lesson, and never buy another one. LOL!

sandm
04-21-2011, 11:30 AM
If you get a hole in a tube just throw it away, learn the lesson, and never buy another one. LOL!

haha nice.. :)

I have repaired one of my tubes several times. the patch kits at wallyworld work fine. I usually place a small one over the hole, then a larger one over that to cover it up and protect it. that bonding agent is pretty tough..

wolfeman131
04-21-2011, 02:25 PM

I waited all morning for this reply which I knew was sure to come