PDA

View Full Version : Impeller Issue

MarkMos
04-20-2011, 03:22 PM
I have a 2009 LSV which I have had serviced and winterized at the dealer in both 09 and 10. Last fall, the service included a new impeller (61 hours on the boat). When I put the boat back in the water, it ran for a few minutes and began over-heating. The dealer says it needs a new impeller. Prior to launching, I started the boat on the trailer - for a second - to see if it would turn over. The dealer indicates that this is what caused the problem and why I need a new one. I have owned boats for 20 years and never had a problem - is the dealer giving me a line?

moombadaze
04-20-2011, 03:32 PM
is the dealer giving you a line--yes and no, but I feel more no than yes. Reason-

If the impeller was changed out and installed back into a dry housing that had allready been drained of all water there would be nothing to lubricate that new impeller so it could burn up rather fast.

4 small bolts-think its 9mm and about 10 minutes and you can swap that impeller yourself

now I know of florida peeps-myself included, that have started a boat for a couple seconds to make sure it starts but we never drain the block for winterizing

sandm
04-20-2011, 03:42 PM
I agree with daze. probably the right decision to swap you a new one to keep a customer, especially one that winterizes at the dealership, but they do have a good out.

hope they wise up and take care of you.

an angry customer tells 10, a happy customer tells 3.

MarkMos
04-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the replies - I am not mechanical at all, but it sounds like I could do it myself. The dealer charged me $250 the first time - I am afraid to ask this time around.... Thanks again

kaneboats
04-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Lots of great posts on here on how to do this, some even with photos, etc. Here's one from the How To section:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=11473

c.rix
04-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the replies - I am not mechanical at all, but it sounds like I could do it myself. The dealer charged me $250 the first time - I am afraid to ask this time around.... Thanks again

do it yourself save the money for gas this summer I mean honestly Its so easy a CRIX can do it

kaneboats
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
And that's saying something.

brain_rinse
04-20-2011, 05:32 PM
That's an unbelievable charge for a $30 part and a 15 minute job... You need a screwdriver, a nutdriver, and a pair of vice grips. Plus 1 beer for the job and as many more as you want to celebrate your $220 savings.

JesseC
04-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Where are you located? There might be someone close to you that could lend you a hand....

sandm
04-20-2011, 08:21 PM
def a great idea. should be a requirement to post location when you register. I'd sure like to know on the off chance someone else on here is in my neck of the world :)

KSmith
04-20-2011, 08:37 PM
def a great idea. should be a requirement to post location when you register. I'd sure like to know on the off chance someone else on here is in my neck of the world :)

Used to be once upon a time. Born Jerome, ID, home town Idaho Falls, spent time in Nampa working for Micron Electronics before the wind blew me out to Georgia. Love to ride the green belt and bike up to the reservoir. Good times.

DOCDRS
04-20-2011, 09:13 PM
1 second on a new impeller will not toast it. I have run prob close to a minute dry and not damaged an impeller at all!! (no way do I recommend this) If you revved the engine while it was dry yes damage. It takes time for the impeller to suck water thru the system to engine as well during summerization and this does not hurt the impeller. More likely there was a loose hose connection prior to the impeller which prevented suction and thus toasted the impeller and resulted in over heating. There should be an onus on the winterizer to inform the boat owner that the boat needs to be summerized or that the boat is good to go as in a case where all hoses , drain plugs and an impeller installed.
61 hours on an impeller? did he give you the old one back?

kaneboats
04-20-2011, 09:53 PM
And it may not be the impeller at all. Lots of other potential causes.

FamilyMatters
04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Someone on this forum shared this link with me. It's a Video demo on an Indmar Assault 325.

http://www.inboardonline.com/how-to/

It was as easy as everyone said! 20 Minutes Tops!

Peace
Darren

wolfeman131
04-21-2011, 08:07 AM
cool link Darren! the one that came up after the impeller was for installing a Seadek pad.

moombadaze
04-21-2011, 08:57 AM
It was as easy as everyone said! 20 Minutes Tops!

Peace
Darren

great how to video

that 20 Minutes includes one beer :)

kaneboats
04-21-2011, 09:15 AM
That is a nice video. The only things I would add are that:

1. It is a little harder to reach when the engine isn't sitting on a stand in the garage.

2. You may want 2 pairs of needlenose pliers or locking needle nose style vise grips. Others prefer 2 little screwdrivers or paint can openers to pry the old impeller out. It will usually not come out quite as easily as in the vid.

3. Coating the new impeller with vaseline makes it go in easily.

brain_rinse
04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
The impeller I got a few weeks ago came with some glycol lube and the instructions said not to use any petroleum products on it. Not sure if it matters when you replace these every year, but FYI.

moombadaze
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
I've used wheel bearing grease in the past with no issues that I'm aware of--very thin layer worked great. This year the grease gun crapped out and used vasaline.

MarkMos
04-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I am in Townville, SC - on Lake Hartwell. I would certainly provide more than one beer for the help.....

kaneboats
04-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Well then bring it on over. I'm a bit thirsty right now.

sandm
04-21-2011, 02:54 PM
it's a little bit of a drive, but you are more than welcome to bring it to my house and buy me a beer to help :)

wolfeman131
04-21-2011, 02:59 PM
That's an unbelievable charge for a $30 part and a 15 minute job... You need a screwdriver, a nutdriver, and a pair of vice grips. Plus 1 beer for the job and as many more as you want to celebrate your $220 savings.

Dan,

I would agree with you except that I was invited by my dealer to see what all they do when changing out an impeller after I questioned what they charged me.

First, shop labor hour rate is $120 or so. They're like lawyers and the clock starts when they hook up your boat to get it moved into the shop. I don't blame them, they have to pay for the labor and gas. Once in the shop, they hook up a fake a lake and run the boat to check for anything out of the ordinary. I was told that they have found several cracked blocks at this point. So, I understand why they take this step too. I wouldn't assume the liability for a new motor if I was a dealer and we all know folks would try to sneak this by a dealer in hopes of getting a free, new motor.

If all checks out, then they are fast at changing it out. My boat (OBV) is tight in the motor compartment, so it's off with the panel, out with the screws, wiggle/curse the impeller out then get it all back together. Then, another test on the fake a lake. This is a step most DIYers may skip, especially if you've done this several times. But again, I understand and appreciate why the dealer would take the time to do this. After all is good mechanically, they did a quick clean up/wipe down so the boat looked as good as it did when I drove it on the lot.

So, in all they had just over an hour and a half in labor time for a cool $180 plus the impeller from the dealer at $50 plus tax runs to just about $245.

It's an easy job that I won't pay for again at the dealer thanks to this forum!

Best,
Drew

Mikes
04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
I will change it for you, Im just across the lake in Hartwell Ga. You can pay me with barley pop. PM me your #.

Mike

DOCDRS
04-21-2011, 05:24 PM
The impeller I got a few weeks ago came with some glycol lube and the instructions said not to use any petroleum products on it. Not sure if it matters when you replace these every year, but FYI.

Only time I ever had a problem was a time when I used vaseline. Vaseline will degrade rubber

wolfeman131
04-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Only time I ever had a problem was a time when I used vaseline. Vaseline will degrade rubber

u talkin' about your boat there, Doc?!?!? :p

DOCDRS
04-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Oh Drew that was good for a laugh :)......still laughin........btw I was talking about my boat

murraymoomba
04-21-2011, 07:40 PM
On our Outback V it was easier to take the whole housing off than to try to pry it out on the boat. Not much room in there for a big feller like me.

zabooda
04-21-2011, 08:24 PM
You need to know how to replace an impeller if it fails on the water. I check mine often and replace it every 2-3 years at 25 hrs/yr on the boat. I don't pull it in the fall but I bump the engine to seat the fins correctly. I was told one thing by my mechanic the last time I had any repairs back in 2002 and that was never run the boat without water.

MarkMos
04-29-2011, 01:14 PM
I will change it for you, Im just across the lake in Hartwell Ga. You can pay me with barley pop. PM me your #.

Mike

The dealer came out to house and replaced the impeller. Apparantly, when they did it the first time, they did not reconnect the plate properly. This caused a problem with the impeller pulling in water and it thus burned out. fortunately, the dealer owned up to this and did not charge me.

rdlangston13
04-29-2011, 09:35 PM
every time i have taken my boat to the dealer they have waxed it and everything, looks almost brand new when i get it back.

i hook the fake a lake up and run the boat up to operating temp for about 15 mine after i change the impeller to ensure everything is operating correctly.

viking
04-30-2011, 01:03 PM
The dealer came out to house and replaced the impeller. Apparantly, when they did it the first time, they did not reconnect the plate properly. This caused a problem with the impeller pulling in water and it thus burned out. fortunately, the dealer owned up to this and did not charge me.

Now that is service! For every BAD dealer story there is a good story about an SC dealer like this. Thanks for sharing!
By the way - where are you located?