PDA

View Full Version : Just tested the new OJ 14.25x14.5!

bzubke1
04-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Just got off the lake a few hours ago after taking the new prop for a test drive. All I can say is wow! It feels like a totally different boat. It jumps on plane with the stock gravity 3 full and a 750 across the bow with the wakeplate 100% up. With the stock 13.7x17.5 it would take quite a bit longer and we would lower the plate to help it plane out. We also gained a little top speed. Before it would top out at 43 but you really had to mess with the plate to get it just right. Now it easily got to 44 but i didn't have a long enough stretch to mess with the plate and really top it out so we'll have to wait and see what it will actually top out at. It also revs to max rpm where before it would only rev to 4500. So far I'm super impressed with the prop's performance, I've never had an acme prop so I can't comment on any difference in noise but i didn't notice anything different from the stock prop.

wakeflip
04-20-2011, 12:00 AM
It also revs to max rpm where before it would only rev to 4500

You actually run yours that hard? I wont push my rpms past 4000 when Im pulling or cruising. Maybe Im just over protective but thats sounds high to me.

danomite81
04-20-2011, 12:05 AM
do you think your fuel economy will be affected?

bzubke1
04-20-2011, 12:18 AM
You actually run yours that hard? I wont push my rpms past 4000 when Im pulling or cruising. Maybe Im just over protective but thats sounds high to me.

Not very often but every couple times out I get the itch to feed it some speed. I don't keep it wide open for more than 20 seconds at a time. I try to keep it under 3k when i'm cruising to find a good riding spot.

I'll have to wait and see if it's using more gas or not after a couple times out. I was getting right around 6 gph before.

rdlangston13
04-26-2011, 07:50 PM
every once in a while i get on mine WFO just to feel the wind in my face. i know outboards are made to run at like 90% wot, they love it. but this being a small block v8 running it at 4,000 rpm for any length of time scares me.

mmandley
04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
You guys got to stop being weak asses LOL

I have the same prop from OJ and its a solid prop a real power house.

Ok lets talk about RPMs and engines for a minute.

You really need to punch that throttle every time you go out. Not just once ina while and not for 30 seconds.

Heres why, engines are designed and tested to be ran at a certain RPM and that's because they have to perform. Do you honestly think Idmar is going to offer a 4 year 400hr warranty on an engine they haven't tested to run at Max RPM while the boat is loaded? You know there thinking of those hot heads who run WOT everywhere and that's what they test it for.

You can bet the tune in the computer is going to protect your engine, also these engines are actually rated around 6K RPM and if i recall they are governed at 5500 RPM.

Now on a more practicle note you need to WOT throttle on a regular basis to stress the parts a little and blow any carbon buildup out, most of the time carbon wont break down till its around 700+ degrees in the engine, this means 4K RPM for at least 30 seconds to clean the valves and exhaust runners out.

Now lets talk about being a parent or a good boat owner, what happens when someone gets hurt? You get them in the boat and its a mad dash for the ramp? You gonna go 3K RPM because that's what speed you always go? Hell no your going FULL throttle and don't you want to know your engine can handle it?

These engines are just like a track star, if you walk everywhere you go then when its time to RUN you cant, you get winded and fall over dead. Same thing happens to the engine, if you never stress the engine at WOT or close to it then the lower end of the engine never sees the stress and when it finally does its a lot more likely to break.

As you can see im ad advocate of drive it like you stole it. In return you should only do this when the boat isn't at max ballast and also do all your regular maintenance.

I recommend you WOT your cars and trucks on a weekly basis for the same reasons. For more then 20 years i have been driving all my cars and trucks like this and never ever have i had an engine failure nor have i had any part on my engine fail while running them hard. It does an engine good.

But Never Never WOT your engines when not under a load, this can float valves and cause over revving and blow your engine.

DOCDRS
04-27-2011, 10:23 AM

I agree with Mike here. We use our for barefooting and have run it at wot for an hour with no probs.

rdlangston13
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
ok then next time i go to the lake im going to wide open it from one end of the lake to the other...

kaneboats
04-27-2011, 11:12 AM
One more thing. Make sure you are up at operating temp before you run WOT. Don't do it before you're all warmed up. Other than that I totally agree with this. I run WOT for 30 sec. to 3-4 min. every time I go out.

Razzman
04-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Doesn't hurt them one bit, in fact it probably does if you DON'T do it periodically. I've run wot many times for way longer than 5 minutes. My last boat was like a Ferrari on the water and i'd run wot for miles just because I could, had 900 hours on it when sold and it's still going strong, probably has over 1,200 hours on it now as the guy I sold it too uses it alot.

rdlangston13
04-27-2011, 12:40 PM
back on topic, we need a prop test with the acme 1433 vs this new oj 14.25 x 14.5

bzubke1
04-27-2011, 01:04 PM
I would probably go with the acme because its cheaper and supposedley quieter. The oj makes a lot of noise but is definitley a workhorse. It easily gets on plane wakeboarding with over 3000 pounds of ballast and people. I cant complain tho because I got the oj for 300 new.