PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Noob questions on spares

Replicant
04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Hello,
Just joined the forum and have a question that I was not able to find in a search. After a lot of research, I finally pulled the trigger on an 07 Outback V with 74 hours on it. I thank this forum for all of the great info that I was able to find which helped my purchase. I am new to Moomba but by no means new to boats of all flavors and types. My question is whether there is a list of must have spares while on the water. Impellar, spark plugs, fuses, fuel filters etc. I absolutely hate being stuck on the water, especially when I know that if I had the right part handy, I could be up and running again.

thanks,

Erik.

deerfield
04-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Erik - The box on my boat includes:

impeller
v belt
fuel filter
hose (fresh water pump to engine block)
assortment of hose clamps

Tools to help me out in a bind on the water:

all-in-one screwdriver
needle nose pliers
roll of duct tape
adjustable wrench
small knife
soft frame goggles (for when you scramble under the boat to unwrap the rope)

I don't carry spare fuses, but sounds like a good idea. Spare spark plugs seem unvessary if they were inspected and/or replaced at start of season.

Congtratulations on the purchase and welcome to the forum. Let's see that new toy. Post pics! - Deerfield

Mikes
04-19-2011, 03:36 PM
The very first thing you need is a knife goggles and an underwater flashlite. At somepoint your ski rope WILL get caught in the prop shaft. And you are stuck dead in the water.

kaneboats
04-19-2011, 04:37 PM
There have been great discussions on this a couple times in the past few years. Try a search on "tool kit". Good luck and welcome aboard!

Replicant
04-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the tips. Now I have a long list going. Fortunately, the previous owner sold the immaculate boat with a full marine grade tool kit and several spares. I can handle the rest myself but I got a lot of good ideas here. Goggles and a knife............. of course.

Hoopskier
04-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Like others mentioned a knife and goggles, for when you wrap a rope around the prop. Othewise a cell phone, a small cash bill, long anchor rope. Cell phone to call someone. The rope and cash, should you need a friendly tow back to the landing from another boater. I don't worry about a paddle, a combo set of waterskis can double as a paddle incase of emergency. Otherwise I'm not that far from civilization-houses along the shoreline where I ski.

moombadaze
04-20-2011, 08:34 AM
recommend a leash on the knife just in case

JesseC
04-20-2011, 01:54 PM
At least two extra DRAIN PLUGS!!! I backed my boat down the ramp and remembered the drain plug at the last minute. I stopped the truck, grabbed the plug and wrench out of a cup holder and headed to the back of the boat. I then stepped on ramp slime slipped followed by chunking the plug about 8 feet out into the lake. I let loose a few unpleasant explatives only to be calmed down by a GENEROUS inboard boater who had 2 in his glove box! He said " I carry one for myself and one for any new friends I meet at the ramp". I now have a pack of two plugs in the glove box. Thanks to my new "friend".

kaneboats
04-20-2011, 02:02 PM
That's a good idea. I used to carry a couple spares on the Outback but I never take the plug out of the LSV b/c nothing ever comes out. Once the bilge pump shuts off, even in the driveway parked nose uphill and with the jack raised all the way up nothing comes out. I just add a little organic soap every now and then and shoot the hose in there to keep the little bit in there clean. I also plugged the hole in the ski locker so it can't run up front.

JesseC
04-20-2011, 02:08 PM
I never take the plug out of the LSV b/c nothing ever comes out.

Our ramps on the lake are very steep and have very little traffic. When I pull the boat out as soon as the transom is out of the water, I pull the plug and let is sit on the steep ramp for a few minutes and let all of the water out followed by tossing the wrench and plug into a cup holder for the next run. I always get a good amount of water out.

Replicant
04-20-2011, 02:20 PM
At least two extra DRAIN PLUGS!!! I backed my boat down the ramp and remembered the drain plug at the last minute. I stopped the truck, grabbed the plug and wrench out of a cup holder and headed to the back of the boat. I then stepped on ramp slime slipped followed by chunking the plug about 8 feet out into the lake. I let loose a few unpleasant explatives only to be calmed down by a GENEROUS inboard boater who had 2 in his glove box! He said " I carry one for myself and one for any new friends I meet at the ramp". I now have a pack of two plugs in the glove box. Thanks to my new "friend".

Yeah, I noticed that I only had one drain plug. Picking up a couple spares today. My former Brother in Law, launched his Mastercraft, drove it out to the end of a very long dock, tied it up and running then went back to park the truck and trailer. This took about ten minutes. When he returned, the boat was very low in the water and swamped. Add to the fact that it was salt water and the engine was running. Cooked it. Lesson learned. No plug in place.

kaneboats
04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Our ramps on the lake are very steep and have very little traffic. When I pull the boat out as soon as the transom is out of the water, I pull the plug and let is sit on the steep ramp for a few minutes and let all of the water out followed by tossing the wrench and plug into a cup holder for the next run. I always get a good amount of water out.

Most people would hear lots of yelling and honking if they tried that at their ramps.