PDA

View Full Version : Factory bimini flopping when towing

harmsway
04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
I tow my boat 18 miles to the lake and I noticed that the bimini cover flops as I am towing it. So I was trying to figure out what to do to stop it from happening and saw that it has worn a couple of small holes in the cover and also in the bimini iteself and broke one of the zipper pulls for the bimini hold down that wraps around the tower. I don't use the bimini much but its nice to have when needed.

Has anyone ever had to repair the zipper? The small holes are no problem I believe I can take a small piece of fabric and stitch it over the hole and it would not be noticable. I'm just not to sure what to do about the zipper.

Or does anyone have any idea who manufactures the bimini's for Moomba and a contact number.

Ian Brantford
04-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Didn't your boat come with a cover that can be used to wrap the bimini when folded? This is to be used when towing. It completely protects the bimini fabric.

harmsway
04-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I do have the cover and it is on when I am towing or not using the bimini. I believe what happened I added a light bar and now when towing the cover and bimini is rubbing against the light bar which caused my problem.

I'm going to take several velco wraps, like are used for storing ski ropes, and secure the bimini and cover better. Now I just have to figure how to repair the zipper. Any ideas?

Razzman
04-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Take it to an auto upholstery shop.

kaneboats
04-19-2011, 11:02 AM
The cover is so thin that any old alteration shop should be able to fix it for you.

SC_LSV
04-21-2011, 04:05 PM
I take my bimini completely down when towing and lay on the seats to stay out of the wind. I notices that is would move around too much when towing and vibrate the screws loose that attach to tower. Granted I was towning 50-100 miles at 50-65 mph, so speeds and forces on bimini could be different. Had one come completely out, but luckily fell into the boat, since then always lay it down for towing.

Not sure about the 08's but the bimini for my 06 was made by Great Lakes Boat Top.

viking
04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
I always tow mine with the bimini cover on and velcro'd in place around the tower. At least an hour tow each time I head to the water. The velcro on one side did break last season but just sewed that up with a piece of fabric and good to go. One thing that did bother me was the zipper would work it's way open up to the velcro strap on the cover while underway and would have to keep zipping it closed every now and then. To fix that I sewed in a small strip of velcro on each end of the cover and cinch it tight around the ends of the bimini poles now when cover is on.

I can try and snap some pics if anyone is interested?

kaneboats
04-21-2011, 04:57 PM
I actually take mine off for the ride home and throw it in the back of the Suburban. Even with the cover on it gets to many bugs on it in the evening I'd rather just stow it than clean it. Then, on the way to the water, my 2 girls put it back on and up at the gas station by the ramp while I gas up.

harmsway
04-21-2011, 08:50 PM
I looked for some velcro straps to tighten up the cover but didn't find anything locally. So I purchased some stretch cords with the ball on the end like you use on tarps. They seem to hold the cover tight around the bimini bar and should keep it from flopping around while I am pulling. The next couple of trips to the lake should tell. Now I need to fix the zipper and I have thought of using velcro but just not to sure how it would hold or look.

harmsway
04-21-2011, 09:05 PM
I always tow mine with the bimini cover on and velcro'd in place around the tower. At least an hour tow each time I head to the water. The velcro on one side did break last season but just sewed that up with a piece of fabric and good to go. One thing that did bother me was the zipper would work it's way open up to the velcro strap on the cover while underway and would have to keep zipping it closed every now and then. To fix that I sewed in a small strip of velcro on each end of the cover and cinch it tight around the ends of the bimini poles now when cover is on.

I can try and snap some pics if anyone is interested?

If you get a chance to snap some pics that would be great. Pictures can set the mind in the right direction sometimes.