PDA

View Full Version : running lights at night?

dirty661
04-18-2011, 07:13 PM
hey guys, im in california and i sometimes hit the river in arizona. im thinkin of putting a light bar up. so im wondering if i can run the lights legally at night ? help is appreciated. thanks

mmandley
04-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Technicaly no. No lights other then the White rear light are supposed to be ran.

I doubt you would get any heat from the Marine Patrol unless the lights arnt facing the back, or they arnt white.

Of course most places ridding at night is illegal too.

Razzman
04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
I can tell you this, you will get a ticket in California if you're underway with tower lights on. I know a few who have got tickets to include my brother-in-law, and the reason I don't run them.

KG's Supra24
04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Using lights while running across the lake makes it more difficult to see. Only time I use tower lights is to spot something specific.

NCSUmoomba
04-19-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't know about getting in trouble, but there are two things that my tower lights are good for while underway. 1) Attract bugs and 2) Make it hard to see where I am going. The only time I use mine are when unloading the boat in the dark at the ramp.

bergermaister
04-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Mine came in handy showing up to camp on the beach at dusk a few times. One clear smooth night wakeboarding in the dark they were good to have. Any other time they were just a hassle and did more harm than good.

However, they were a homemade PIAA setup from the previous owner. Took them off two years ago and haven't missed them since. I may invest in a high power handheld spotlight to stow up by the fire extinguisher this year though.

I know the tower lights are illegal while running on the Columbia River probably most other waterways in the States...

viking
04-19-2011, 05:50 PM
I may invest in a high power handheld spotlight to stow up by the fire extinguisher this year though.

Was thinking the same thing bergermaister! A 12v spotlight (even battery powered for that matter) would solve the occasional need to "get bright" on something. Other than that I decided to stay away from any lighting on the tower. It would attract more trouble than I need.

bergermaister
04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
I like the idea of a rechargeable one that can also run off the 12v outlet if the batterry is low/dead. Looked at a few but I can't get a definite answer if the rechargeable ones will work while plugged in (charging). May just have to buy one and find out for myself.

KG's Supra24
04-20-2011, 10:32 PM
I like the idea of a rechargeable one that can also run off the 12v outlet if the batterry is low/dead. Looked at a few but I can't get a definite answer if the rechargeable ones will work while plugged in (charging). May just have to buy one and find out for myself.

All the ones I have had do. Had some nice ones and cheapo ones. Cheapo ones work just fine. Usually just shorter battery life.

bergermaister
04-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Harbor Freight - oh how you piss me off sometimes.

$15 - 1 million candle power handheld spotlight.

"Runs and charges from your vehicle's 12 volt blah blah blah" on the package.

On the spot light itself after you destroy the package to get it open - "WILL NOT OPERATE WHILE CHARGING"

False advertising bastards!!!!

So in closing - the cheapo ones are apparently not as good as the higher dollar ones. <rant over> :(