PDA

View Full Version : Started the new system

Razzman
04-18-2011, 01:08 PM
So here we go again, version three and definately the last! Started by peeling back the carpet and glueing kiln dried poplar wood strips to the hull with Liquid Nails Exterior HD contsruction adhesive. Hardest part of that was contouring the wood strips to fit the shape of the hull, thank god for belt sanders. And because I know somebody will ask :p, no i didn't coat the wood. If the strips get wet, the boat is sinking!

Then came the pain in the rear part, gluing back the carpet and cutting around the wood strips. I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive for that. You can get seriously high doing this!

After that pain was done I cut some cardboard amp board templates and cut them to fit the spaces. I also made templates of all three amps and layed them out on boards afterwards to correctly space and mark the holes for mounting the boards as well as the amps. The amps will have studs instead of screws to mount on to make installing/removing easier. Like my amps? :p

I used Alucabond for the boards, just as i did the last install. This stuff is super rigid, super light and water/moisture proof. Construction of it is 1/16" of HDPE sandwiched by two layers of 1/32" aluminum. Added a blurry pic but you get the drift how thin it is. Today I drill mounting holes, add the studs to the boards and cutout cooling holes in the board beneath the amps.

RobertJ
04-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Awesome, I am getting ready to do a similar install with three Exile amps. Keep the pictures coming.

viking
04-18-2011, 02:10 PM
So here we go again, version three and definately the last!

:D ha ha ......... that makes me laugh. Never say "never"! Looking forward to the progress pics for this 3rd version!

Canuckle Head
04-18-2011, 03:22 PM
This is awesome! I am going to be installing Exile amps into mine as well and was wondering how to do the amp racks. I'll be watching this with great intrest.

moombadaze
04-18-2011, 07:22 PM
looking good, keep them coming

RobertJ
04-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Razz, I like the wood strip idea. Have you done this before? I am wondering if you might have an issue with them coming off, but i know that liquid nails is pretty sticky stuff.

Also, what about getting to the adjustments on the amps. I have three of the same amps and I am overthinking the install. I want the amps to be fairly easy to tune since getting my big body in the cubby is a pain.

Razzman
04-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Razz, I like the wood strip idea. Have you done this before? I am wondering if you might have an issue with them coming off, but i know that liquid nails is pretty sticky stuff.

Also, what about getting to the adjustments on the amps. I have three of the same amps and I am overthinking the install. I want the amps to be fairly easy to tune since getting my big body in the cubby is a pain.

Robert the strips shouldn't come off, there's a few on here that have used various adhesives to include quick epoxy. Liquid Nails once set will rip off glas before it lets go. The amp boards themselves will be attached to the strips with 4 screws per side on the large board and three on the Harpoon board. I'll probably dab a few spots of Liquid Nails on the strips before mounting the boards too. Watch for amp board pics tomorrow and you'll understand the method better.

There is no method that I know of to place all three where it's easy to adjust them all, just not enough room. At least not where you don't have to worry about water. I'm placing my amps with adjustment in mind though. The Xi800.4 & Xi1500.1 are going in front of the rib back enough from it to get to the adjustments. The Harpoon is going behind the rib up high, and while this isn't the ideal place to adjust the Harpoon it is easy the way i'm doing it with the studs to lift off and quick adjust while hooked up.

Razzman
04-19-2011, 01:24 AM
:D ha ha ......... that makes me laugh. Never say "never"! Looking forward to the progress pics for this 3rd version!

Yeah I swear this is the last time i'm crawling into that blasted hole! :p

mmandley
04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Looks awesome Razz, i would have never thought to do it like that. Liquid nails has crossed my mind for a lot of uses, and a couple in the boat.

brain_rinse
04-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Your system is gonna be great! Keep the pics coming. What are you using for studs to hold the amps?

There is no method that I know of to place all three where it's easy to adjust them all, just not enough room. At least not where you don't have to worry about water.

CLASS D!

cab13367
04-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Looking good Razz. Where are you mounting the Harpoon?

Razzman
04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Al, all the amps will be on the port inner wall, the Harpoon will be on the wall to the left as soon as you open the door. The other two forward next to the batts.

So here's the amp boards, single for the harpoon and the double for the Xi800.4 & Xi1500.1. Notice the big cooling cutouts I put in. All that's left is to add the carpet, I'm not covering the entire board though. There will be just enough carpet for the amps to sit on around the perimeter so it doesn't impede cooling yet cover the boards from view.

Brain, the studs are 10-24 stainless machine screws help on with red loctite and 10-24 thin nuts. The amps will be secured with 10-24 stainless nylock nuts & flat washers.

EarmarkMarine
04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Mounting the amplifiers on double-nutted studs (so they don't rotate) is a great technique. It makes removal and reinstallation easier for gaining access to end caps for tuning. Its also a luxury not having to suspend a large, heavy amplifier while trying to blindly align a screw with a predrilled hole. Its so much easier to add a washer and nut by hand.

David
Earmark Marine

Brianinpdx
04-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Looking Good Razzman. I'm late to the party. Any progress?

Razzman
04-19-2011, 11:36 PM
No more today; school, critters, housework and such besides taking care of my wife got in the way. She's down for 6 weeks :(

Tomorrow's a new day though :p Going to fit the boards in the space, add the carpet trim, hang the amps and final measure for cable. Then do all of the above again :p

I ust noticed the camera angle makes those amp boards look all warped!

danomite81
04-20-2011, 12:21 AM
I cant wait to see the finished product

newty
04-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Uh... yea... I say that every time! And yes mine is all pulled apart again too! Its a terrible disease OCSD Obsessive Compulsive Stereo Disorder. I pray all of you get it!:p

Yeah I swear this is the last time i'm crawling into that blasted hole! :p

Hey nice progress so far. Where dou you get that aluminum sheeting stuff? Alucabond?

Razzman
04-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Uh... yea... I say that every time! And yes mine is all pulled apart again too! Its a terrible disease OCSD Obsessive Compulsive Stereo Disorder. I pray all of you get it!:p

Yeah and there's no cure for it either :p

Hey nice progress so far. Where dou you get that aluminum sheeting stuff? Alucabond?

My bad, it's Alucobond, check it out here; Alucobond USA (http://www.alucobondusa.com/alucobond_what_is.html). It's used in the commercial building & commercial glass industries as a fascia for store fronts and building siding. If you know anybody in those industries they can get it for you or may have scraps laying around. My boards probably weighg in at <1lb for the small one and <2 lbs for the big one. Awesome stuff!

kaneboats
04-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Looking forward to seeing the progress.

wolfeman131
04-21-2011, 08:32 AM
there are certain times that I am glad my boat sits on the lift 2 hrs away. this is one of them 'cause this is an awesome install and if the boat was in the garage, I'd probably have a heftly AmEx bill right about now.

hope it's nothing serious and your wife gets back up & going soon!

Razzman
04-21-2011, 04:51 PM
there are certain times that I am glad my boat sits on the lift 2 hrs away. this is one of them 'cause this is an awesome install and if the boat was in the garage, I'd probably have a heftly AmEx bill right about now.

hope it's nothing serious and your wife gets back up & going soon!

Not serious, just a pain in the foot. :p Couldn't help that one. She had surgery to correct the angle of the main bone leading to the big toe which caused a very painful bunion. Bunionectomy they called it, who woulda thought, don't get me started. :p She's in cast, no weight bearing for six weeks and then the walking boot for another six. Her boarding is shot for this season.

Razzman
04-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Ok boards are carpeted, Liquid Nailed & screwed in place, amps installed for trial fit and measuring wire runs. Hard part is over, YEA!

viking
04-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Razz that looks great. Nice and clean so far. Thanks for sharing.

newty
04-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Nice Razz! Looking good mang!

RobertJ
04-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Man I am so going to copy you. I got Mike M's racks from him yesterday (thanks Mike) and I plan to use them in the manner that you installed yours. I just need some gray carpet.

ian ashton
04-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Where did you get the carpet? Perfect match!

Razzman
04-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Where did you get the carpet? Perfect match!

I ordered a yard of the factory carpet from the local dealer in '08 just in case as I knew I'd be doing stuff like this.

mmandley
04-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Man I am so going to copy you. I got Mike M's racks from him yesterday (thanks Mike) and I plan to use them in the manner that you installed yours. I just need some gray carpet.

If you not going to use the Carpet can you save it and ill get it back from you?

Me and Newty both have the same color carpet and im sure eventually one of will need some spare.

RobertJ
04-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Mike, I will save the carpet for you. I have gray in mine and I think it will look better if I match tthe racks to the rest of the carpet. Thanks again for dropping of the racks.

dusty2221
04-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Lookin great Razz, make sure and hide every single wire you can!!

Razzman
04-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Lookin great Razz, make sure and hide every single wire you can!!

I always make my installs clean, but i'm more of a function over form guy. The reason? If I have an issue on the water I don't want to have remove facades, fascias and such as it's a pain to get to stuff. And with a full boat it makes it hard to stow that stuff while troubleshooting.

But I've been toying with a cool idea I know would be clean and awesome looking, just don't know how practical it is, we'll see.

cab13367
04-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Looking good Razz! I should probably have made a second amp board like you did but I got lazy and just mounted my third amp right under that fresh air hose. Whenever I get some free time (yeah, right!), I may make that second amp rack.

Razzman
04-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Looking good Razz! I should probably have made a second amp board like you did but I got lazy and just mounted my third amp right under that fresh air hose. Whenever I get some free time (yeah, right!), I may make that second amp rack.

I hear ya Al! This stuff takes time to do, trying to fit all this in with everything else going on is killing me!

wolfeman131
04-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Not serious, just a pain in the foot. :p Couldn't help that one. She had surgery to correct the angle of the main bone leading to the big toe which caused a very painful bunion. Bunionectomy they called it, who woulda thought, don't get me started. :p She's in cast, no weight bearing for six weeks and then the walking boot for another six. Her boarding is shot for this season.

Yikes! That looks painful. Take good car of her.

Amp install looks top-notch! Not that we'd expect anything less from you, of course. :p

tazz3069
04-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Hey Razz,
Where did you put the batteries? I am in the talks with David at Earkmark Audio. We are talking a speaker and amp upgrade. I agree about the space needed. When it comes time to order all my stuff from Earmark, I want to relocate the batteries. I am thinking of putting them under one of the seats. Maybe in front of the shoe locker, Oh I mean the on board ice chest. LOL

EarmarkMarine
04-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Tazz,
We just added a 2011 Malibu in our Malibu (hope I can say that on a Moomba forum) gallery that has five short Group 34s under a bench seat in order to totally free up the port storage locker. I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about.
Sorry, the condition of this new presentation is still rough.
An Optima SC34DM is 6.875" tall (55 amp/hours). A Deka SeaMate 8A31DTM is 6.75" wide (105 amp/hours) so that you can lay this AGM on its side.

David
Earmark Marine

Razzman
04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Tazz,
We just added a 2011 Malibu in our Malibu (hope I can say that on a Moomba forum) gallery that has five short Group 34s under a bench seat in order to totally free up the port storage locker. I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about.
Sorry, the condition of this new presentation is still rough.
An Optima SC34DM is 6.875" tall (55 amp/hours). A Deka SeaMate 8A31DTM is 6.75" wide (105 amp/hours) so that you can lay this AGM on its side.

David
Earmark Marine

GEEZUS! You gotta be a millionaire to afford these blasted batteries! Average cost of that Deka is $400! At least the Optima only averages $175-200! No offense David but I think i'll stick to my Interstates :cool:

Tazz, I'm leaving two where they are (side by side) up against the bow seat and the third will be under the port bow cushion.

newty
04-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Tazz I put two batteries in front of the hump on the drivers side. Lots of room although I had to relocate my heater it sure made a nice diffrence the balance of the boat and gave me a ton of extra room.

tazz3069
04-23-2011, 11:27 PM
That is where my sub sits. I did think of that spot though. I might do the Optimas that David suggested. I am still searching for that money tree. Still have not found it yet.

Razzman
04-23-2011, 11:39 PM
I am still searching for that money tree. Still have not found it yet.

Tell me about it! I actually toyed with the thought of placing all three batteries into the ski locker being as i don't use ballast in there. Would have required too much modification though for me.

cab13367
04-24-2011, 10:27 AM
GEEZUS! You gotta be a millionaire to afford these blasted batteries! Average cost of that Deka is $400! At least the Optima only averages $175-200! No offense David but I think i'll stick to my Interstates :cool:

Tazz, I'm leaving two where they are (side by side) up against the bow seat and the third will be under the port bow cushion.

That's where I put mine. That's a standard size Group 29 lead acid battery and it fits under the fiberglass lip. See pic below.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/35d80c8f.jpg

Razzman
04-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks Al! Good to know, I was going to haul one of mine into the boat this morning to check fit. So it's in a standard batt box without the lid correct?

EarmarkMarine
04-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Razzman,
I don't ship batteries so I don't have a horse in this race. But you are off considerably on the 'actual' purchase price of the SeaMate AGM. These batteries can also be purchased from a West Marine under their house brand.
Great batteries with great amp/hour capacity as compared to Optimas and with many other attributes that are unique to AGMs, most notably the ability to lay them on their side for more creative fit applications, especially when using multiples.
Of course standard flooded batteries are always the most cost effective if you are looking solely at amp/hours.
Again, I don't have a horse in the race and I have yet to find a bad battery brand among the more popular ones.

David
Earmark Marine

Razzman
04-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Razzman,
I don't ship batteries so I don't have a horse in this race. But you are off considerably on the 'actual' purchase price of the SeaMate AGM. These batteries can also be purchased from a West Marine under their house brand.
Great batteries with great amp/hour capacity as compared to Optimas and with many other attributes that are unique to AGMs, most notably the ability to lay them on their side for more creative fit applications, especially when using multiples.
Of course standard flooded batteries are always the most cost effective if you are looking solely at amp/hours.
Again, I don't have a horse in the race and I have yet to find a bad battery brand among the more popular ones.

David
Earmark Marine

Those were just internet averages for price comparison. Btw, the West Marine version, 8G31TDM, is $369.00 and that's assuming you have a West Marine close by. At 71 lbs I sure wouldn't pay freight for one because then it would be ... $400 or more. Granted there may be local dealers selling them for less but I know many of us shop the internet for prices.

cab13367
04-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks Al! Good to know, I was going to haul one of mine into the boat this morning to check fit. So it's in a standard batt box without the lid correct?

No problem. I had the pic handy as i just sent it to mmandley a few days ago when we were having the same discussion. Yes, standard box (says it's good for Group 24-31) batteries, same size as the one that came on my boat. No lid, not enough room for it. I'm not worried about it though as even if I take water over the bow, the bow seat cushion fits so tight that very little if any water gets past it.

Razzman
04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Been super busy, managed to get in today and strip all the wiring out though, measure and build the electronics panel. This will be on the inner wall right behind the cushion/door. I'll install this tomorrow and start wiring up.

mmandley
04-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Thats gonna be sweet Razz. I like all the CBs on the panel, i assume those are for your Amp power instead of fuses? Whats your plan for the distro block? Fuse it also?

Razzman
04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Thats gonna be sweet Razz. I like all the CBs on the panel, i assume those are for your Amp power instead of fuses? Whats your plan for the distro block? Fuse it also?

The two thermals below the Blue Sea ACR are for that. The one next to the dist block is for the inverter. The one below the batt switch is main power. I'm picking up the mini anl fuses tomorrow. Everythings going to 1/0 except the Blue Sea ACR, that can stay 4 gauge as the charging system didn't change and upping cable size there is of no benefit. I'm going to draw main amp power right off of the switch post for the stereo bank on batt switch.

mmandley
04-29-2011, 08:35 AM
I like i like.

Man if i was closer id come stick my head in your boat and then rattle yours for more ideas LOL

Razzman
04-29-2011, 09:19 AM
I like i like.

Man if i was closer id come stick my head in your boat and then rattle yours for more ideas LOL

LOL! I tell you this is getting old though, a system redo every season! My freaking back is killing me this morning from hanging in the hole! :p

rdlangston13
04-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Very Clean install! This makes me want to redoo my boat now! No time though, boating season is among us already, can't waste time on the water modifying a functional stereo.

kaneboats
04-29-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm with you. Once crap works and the sun is shining the only thing I work on is getting the gas cap off and back on.

dusty2221
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Lookin great man. I've got equipment mounted on that panel as well, looks great when opened up and its super convenient to get to everything!

Canuckle Head
04-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Any chance you can show some pictures of the wiring from the batteries to the Blue Sea etc? I will be having to do the same thing and am nervous about screwing it up.

Thanks in advance Razz!:cool:

Razzman
04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Any chance you can show some pictures of the wiring from the batteries to the Blue Sea etc? I will be having to do the same thing and am nervous about screwing it up.

No prob, It's actually alot easier and simpler than the Blue Sea instructions make it out to be! I've only used the base installation prior, no remote led or isolation start hookup (which I may do this time), I'll make sure to post pics though.

As an FYI and as i said in an above post, unless your upgrading your charging system itself, there's no need to upgrade the wire size from the acr to the batts. This of course is based on the output of your alternator. So even though I'm upgrading the stereo batt bank to 1/0 gauge, for my 70 amp alt uses 4ga with 150amp fuses for the acr. This info came straight from Blue Sea. Now if you have the Assault 340 with the 90 amp alt then you'll need to run 2ga/150 amp fuses.

Razzman
05-01-2011, 12:26 AM

So i talked with David @ Earmark concerning wiring with an ACR and he gave me some enlightening insight as to how it works and how to make it work better. I'm starting the wiring on the electrical panel tomorrow and i'll be sure to include this information for you.

Razzman
05-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Getting the time to finish this is killing me! All that's left to do is wire the amps themselves and a few minor details and the system is a wrap! YEA! I'm also working on a cover for the panel that will allow access to the main breaker and switch while covering the rest of it. Who knows when that will get done! Here's the panel all wrapped up.

rdlangston13
05-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Getting the time to finish this is killing me! All that's left to do is wire the amps themselves and a few minor details and the system is a wrap! YEA! I'm also working on a cover for the panel that will allow access to the main breaker and switch while covering the rest of it. Who knows when that will get done! Here's the panel all wrapped up.

screwing into that wall right there makes me nervous! how thick is it and what length screws did you use?

Razzman
05-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Piece of cake, there's 3/4 marine plywood glassed into the backside of that wall for rigidity, on both sides of the walkway. It runs from below the observers seat to under the port bow seat. Next time your in your boat run your finger along the very bottom of that wall and you'll see.

Look close and you'll see it's a panel I built, all the stuff is on that. The panel is actually spaced away from the wall 1/2", I used four 1" #12 stainless screws to attach the panel. Far less holes than from the factory attaching all their dual batt stuff.

ian ashton
05-12-2011, 09:58 AM
That looks really nice, great work!

moombadaze
05-12-2011, 10:17 AM
looking good.

Think I now know what what next winter season's project will be.

Razzman
05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks Daze, everything got wired up yesterday to the amps. Right now it's all temporarily tied up, still gotta cover everything with split loom and secure permanantly. Going to run RCAs, remote wires and pull the sub today for a new bass knob to control sub volume. Whew! I want this one done!

Razzman
05-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Wiring is complete, added a volume control to the glove box for the cabin speakers. Thought up a cool method for powering the HU off the distribution block that looks like it will work well. Replaced the old Interstate lead acid battery with a Deka 31 AGM. Found a killer deal on a ProMariner ProSport 20 to keep the batts at peak performance, that goes in next week or so.

Covered all the wiring with black split loom ... and that's where I went from "I'm liking it" to "GEEZUS that looks like crap!". The split loom bulks up the wiring bundles twice over and they look huge! I was debating on whether to hide all the wiring before that, now I know i have to! I may have to re-route stuff to accomplish that, later though, it's boating time and i'm tired of doing this. That's a job for later

Gotta pull the sub & box out later today or tomorrow to prepare for adding an XRB1 sub control from Brian, might as well pull some new sub wire while in there.

Didn't get any pics the last few days, been going like a mad dog trying to wrap up and forget to take them. I'll get some tomorrow and post up. :D

ian ashton
05-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Did you add cup holders net to the glove box, or did your boat come with them? That is something I've been wanting to do for a while, but I always forget to order 'em.

Razzman
05-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Did you add cup holders net to the glove box, or did your boat come with them? That is something I've been wanting to do for a while, but I always forget to order 'em.

Ian it came with them. I will say they don't get used as much as the others for some reason

kaneboats
05-16-2011, 11:46 AM
I have guys like to you to thank. Every time I think I'm getting closer I get to see how far I have to go. Looking good!

ian ashton
05-21-2011, 07:28 PM
So I think I'm going to mimic your install on my boat, but in looking at the picture below I'm having trouble understanding how you have the ACR hood up;

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7688&d=1304905238

To me it looks like you have both sides of the ACR wired to the same post on on the battery switch - or is that an optical illusion, with one of the wires passing through to the right side top post and one on the left side top post?

mmandley
05-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Its just the way has it wired threw the back of the switch. The posts are pretty close and to keep his wires looking clean he has them both entering the left side of the switch. I am quite positive its on the top left and right posts as this is how mine is done as well.

ian ashton
05-22-2011, 04:40 PM
It looks great and is a good idea, much cleaner than running back to the batteries.

Razzman
05-26-2011, 05:44 PM
It's alive! :p

Finally got it done! Tested power just awhile ago and will tune tomorrow. Got a few minor things to do such as add wires to looms (below elec panel) but that's it!

cab13367
05-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Looks great Razz! I like where you put the second battery and the onboard charger :)

Razzman
05-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Yeah i got the idea from some other guy on the forum :p

moombadaze
05-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Razz, how many wire post's are on the battery switch-I count 8 wires going in and am wondering how tight it is there for all those wires. Split loom looks good-keeps all the wireing hidden