PDA

View Full Version : diy wake surf fingers for rack

canadaair
04-16-2011, 09:12 PM
was looking at ordering up some new fingers to use with existing clamps and was wondering if people have been going with the surf ones or will the kneeboard wakeboard combo one work or to sloppy for surfboard. i have old school hyperlite landlock 6'1"

jmeacham
04-19-2011, 01:12 AM
was looking at ordering up some new fingers to use with existing clamps and was wondering if people have been going with the surf ones or will the kneeboard wakeboard combo one work or to sloppy for surfboard. i have old school hyperlite landlock 6'1"

I just installed the Aerial Wakesurf / Wakeboard combo on the existing clamps. Shown here with my daughters new board.

Only issue is that I need to use my dremel tool to notch out on the bottom forks for the bungee. I called the distributor today and they dont have another solution for this.

Jeff

sandm
04-19-2011, 08:04 AM
our dealer here locally has a set that fit the supra racks, assuming mooomba's are the same pattern. they took their widest surfboard and had custom fingers made at a local machine shop. they look real nice.. they hold 2 boards and have the bungee's. nice thing is that they are not the wide openings that will hold kneeboards so your surfboard won't flop around like some of the ariel/diywake products. down side is the price- $199 for a pair.

bergermaister
04-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Jeff - curious if you've tried any other surfboards in the lower jaws of your Aerial Wakesurf / Wakeboard combo? Like a Hyperlite Broadcast or similar.

jmeacham
04-19-2011, 12:34 PM
instead of notching out the forks, I put 1" x 4" aluminum plates between the racks and the clamps. Then I bent the top of the plates in a circle and ground down all sharp edges.

I then drilled holes into the ends of the fingers and installed bungies with hog clamps and shrink wrap - just like the stock bungies.

The bungies then go over the boards and into the aluminum plates.

aluminum, hog clamps and shrink wrap were all purchased at Ace Hardware

Ed, Have any pics you can share? I'm interested in your solution (before I start making cuts this week), but having a hard time visualizing. Thanks!

jmeacham
04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Jeff - curious if you've tried any other surfboards in the lower jaws of your Aerial Wakesurf / Wakeboard combo? Like a Hyperlite Broadcast or similar.

I havent tried any other boards yet! I have my eye on the Inland Sweet Spot Woody Limited. I'm thinking it MAY fit in the lower fork. I'll let you know as soon as I get my hands on the board. Looking for the right deal...

jmeacham
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
I got ya Ed!

You are mounting the new piece between the tower and fork mounts and bending it up from the back. Good work! ;-) I like the sound of that. How thick is the aluminum? Do you find that it gets pulled back down at all from the bungee cord, etc?

jmeacham
04-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Any chance you got out on the lake this weekend and took pics? ;-) I am going to take on the project this week in prep for next weekend!

I got my 750LB sec coming and ready to dial in the new wake.

Jeff

pmoomba
04-27-2011, 09:34 AM
I just installed the Aerial Wakesurf / Wakeboard combo on the existing clamps. Shown here with my daughters new board.

Only issue is that I need to use my dremel tool to notch out on the bottom forks for the bungee. I called the distributor today and they dont have another solution for this.

Jeff

Which rack did you put on the existing clamps? Searching around for options from Aerial I didn't see too much, did you get this http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BT-KNERCKU-PA and remove the fingers from the base plate and put them on the existing tower clamps?

I found these on diywake, they should work right?

http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=625

jmeacham
04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Which rack did you put on the existing clamps? Searching around for options from Aerial I didn't see too much, did you get this http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BT-KNERCKU-PA and remove the fingers from the base plate and put them on the existing tower clamps?

Correct, that was the one I purchase. You can see the holes already in the top fork. They fit perfectly with the existing mounts that come stock with the OBV in 07 / Rad-a-cage.

I found these on diywake, they should work right?

http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=625

They might work. Not sure what the dimensions are for the holes on the back mount. Also, doesn't look like there is a hole for the bungee. I'm sure that's as simple as drilling a hole though.

jmeacham
05-08-2011, 02:31 AM
instead of notching out the forks, I put 1" x 4" aluminum plates between the racks and the clamps. Then I bent the top of the plates in a circle and ground down all sharp edges.

I then drilled holes into the ends of the fingers and installed bungies with hog clamps and shrink wrap - just like the stock bungies.

The bungies then go over the boards and into the aluminum plates.

aluminum, hog clamps and shrink wrap were all purchased at Ace Hardware

Well Ed, I tried. ;-)

Here are a few pics of the hooks I made out of 1/8" x 1/2" x 4" aluminum.

Here is my problem... With the newly made hooks in-between the clamps, I cant tighten clamps onto the tower enough to keep the forks steady. I'm not sure how you did it.

Take a look - Any ideas?

Thanks!

kaneboats
05-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Here's the pics. Makes a lot more sense after seeing it.