PDA

View Full Version : Locking up while storing boat on the trailer

clark
02-03-2005, 11:59 PM
On all the trailers I have owned, I guess it is the older style, you would lift up on a handle type device, lower the tongue onto the ball, then push the handle device down locking it onto the ball. There was a hole there so I could put a lock thru it. When it was not being used, I had a lock that would slide up inside the tongue and then I would put the lock on the handle device.

I was wondering what type of locks can be used with the BOATMATE trailers that comes with Moombas. I have never used on of these before.

Clark

jburnside
02-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Clark,
I just use a commercial grade "Master Lock" through the hole in the tongue on the starboard side of the trailer. The hole on the Boatmate trailer works the same as the older style trailer handle hole you mentioned. I use the lock when the boat is hitched to my truck or when it's un-hitched. Even if the boat is not hitched to my truck I still push down the top engage mechanism on the trailer then install my lock through the hole I mentioned earlier. By doing that you can't put the trailer down on the hitch ball. There are other devices that can be purchased through places like Overton's that help secure trailers when not attached to tow vehicles, I've just never seen the need to purchase one. I guess we'll probably hear how everyone else does it as well. Should be enlightening.

clark
02-04-2005, 11:04 AM
When glancing at the trailer tongue, it just looked so different from the one I am used to, I never saw a place to insert a lock.

Thanks,
Clark

smokedog2
02-05-2005, 05:29 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml;jsessionid=K12UNFGWT3SBVTQSNOISCN4OCJVZ IIWE?id=0001921012240a&type=product&cmCat=froogle& cm_ven=froogle&cm_cat=data_feed&cm_ite=various&rid =7510101020603&_requestid=18477

I could not find the one I own. I like it because it is not that noticeable.

If you put a hitch lock on they laugh. They take the chains, snug the trailer tang up into the hitch well of the truck and drive off. If they are pro’s they have a bolt on hitch with them.

Tire locks work better and are harder to defeat. If you are cheap, jack up the boat and pull a tire.

A guy at the lake had the lower unit on his I/O stolen ($5,000), they did not bother with the whole boat. Of course he left the boat in the back yard of his empty house all winter.

My $.02 worth what you paid for it,

SD2

Catdog1
02-06-2005, 11:15 AM
I wrap my safety chains around the tongue, run a long-shanked masterlock thru them and the tongue. Also, I have a 2inch ball with the shank sawed-off. I put the ball in the tongue and lock it there. That way, the opportunist amateur can't just drop the locked unit onto a smaller ball.

Assume there are pros and opportunistic amateurs. The wheel lock, or running hardened chains thru the wheel slots and around the frame, might stop the amateurs. And that's probably the bulk of the folks we'd face.

Nothing, including that contraption above, will stop a pro. ( liquid nitrogen + a sledge hammer and one muffled blow is all it takes, or, a portaband with a hardened blade or a set of dolly wheels to set your wheels upon.)